Does it suit us to be the underdog?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Does it suit us to be the underdog?

I think it probably does. All the weight of opinion, money and media attention is on the Pies. From my experience of watching football for 30 years, this can sometime take the edge off the favoured team.

I think going in as the underdog will suit us given the year we have had and all the obstacles the Saints have had to overcome. What does everyone else think?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa 5
Club Player

I think it's better from the angle of we are the hunters rather than the hunted. Rossy can be the one with the tactical move to counteract the current collingwood game plan which is working incredibly well.

I think it suits us just fine 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dont think it makes any difference. The game will be won by the best team on the day and all the omens, hopes and any other thing will make no difference at all. lets just hope it is us this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does it suit us to be the underdog?

SaintPav wrote:I think it probably does. All the weight of opinion, money and media attention is on the Pies. From my experience of watching football for 30 years, this can sometime take the edge off the favoured team.

I think going in as the underdog will suit us given the year we have had and all the obstacles the Saints have had to overcome. What does everyone else think?
Rather that than be red hot favourites.

Rightly or wrongly (and I'd say the latter), these young Pies kids are now facing the Grand Final that's theirs to lose.

And that suits me just fine. :wink:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I think it probably does. All the weight of opinion, money and media attention is on the Pies. From my experience of watching football for 30 years, this can sometime take the edge off the favoured team.

Rightly or wrongly (and I'd say the latter), these young Pies kids are now facing the Grand Final that's theirs to lose.

Disagree.......history certainly suggets (fact) more hot favourites have won
rather than the underdog.

saint4life
saintnick12
Club Player

Going in as underdogs will just add more to the story of this years Saints Premiership :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Disagree.......history certainly suggets (fact) more hot favourites have won
rather than the underdog.
I understand what you're saying chook.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to be going in to the GF having won our last 24 games by an average of 10 goals. But I am looking at it as things currently stand.

At the moment the Pies have a young team that's playing out of its skin and in those circumstances I'm happy that those guys, particularly the ones with limited experience, have the weight of expectation on them.

markp
Saintsational Legend

They've had that much hot air blown up them they may just pop.

Suits us fine.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

In my humble opinion I think in this instance it let's a very capable team know that they're going to have to perform, try that little bit harder, and work that little bit smarter! Personally I think we've already got the game plan to beat them! The extra drive being labelled an underdog will only make us more damaging!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure we've really done anything to position ourselves as challenger or underdog or whatever.

It's just evolved that way. By design?

We've been so low key.

Anything in the media has been really humble and understated.

It's all been very much 'task at hand'.

On the other side of town Maggot's been kissing babies down at the Paddock, Buckley's been talking up his own personal vibe, Maxwell's been spruiking a 'don't even consider defeat' line, and the media at large have been positioning this one as Collingwood's to lose.

Personally I think we are approaching this like a side and a club that know's what's important and what's not.

I like that.

Whether it all means anything remains to be seen I guess.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

We're underdogs if you compare it to the ridiculous Collingwood hype, but more and more people are seeing us as a serious threat.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

i dont know about you guys, but it only takes me (your's truly) 60secs to firm into a favourite.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:I'm not sure we've really done anything to position ourselves as challenger or underdog or whatever.

We've been so low key.

On the other side of town Maggot's been kissing babies down at the Paddock, Buckley's been talking up his own personal vibe, Maxwell's been spruiking a 'don't even consider defeat' line, and the media at large have been positioning this one as Collingwood's to lose.

Personally I think we are approaching this like a side and a club that know's what's important and what's not.

I like that.

Excellent post! I don't really care whether we are seen as underdogs or as the favourite. What I want to see is a team that is focussed with the job at hand. We have had that in spades from this team this year. No matter what has been thrown at them, they have risen to the challenge with only a few minor hiccups along the way. It is only Rnd 26 after all....:wink:

The young Collingwood players need to continue to play out of their skins to beat us. Don't think their top echelon of players can do it without them. Your first Grand Final is a HUGE distraction, no matter how many times you claim otherwise. Even those top players for Collingwood (Ball and Jolly the exception) have not experienced a GF. Definite distraction.

Still a Saints win for mine and I think people will be very surprised at the margin.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The first quarter of that Geelong Collingwood Prelim was a great display of insane pressure. As such they have actually added to the weight of expectation. We have been doing just enough to get through unscathed this season and as such we haven't captured the attention of the rest of the AFL community.

I believe the whole week of the grand final is a fish bowl and would really start to eat away at players minds. The young guys at Collingwood will make or break them. If they withstand the pressure and play their game and we are a little bit off they should win.

Conversely the Saints are going in having been there last year, know what to expect and would have most of their list going in with the belief that they have something to prove not someone else's expectation hanging over them. I prefer that scenario myself but it still comes down to a little luck a lot of effort and our ability to handle the mental pressure of the big stage.

I believe that this GF will come down to how well the big Roo plays, last GF he crashed into that dropped mark and never quite looked right afterwards. If he gets a couple early it could really upset the Pies rebound defence. It also gives Kosi, Mini and Milney space to cause trouble.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Thinline wrote:I'm not sure we've really done anything to position ourselves as challenger or underdog or whatever.

We've been so low key.

I like that.

Excellent post! I don't really care whether we are seen as underdogs or as the favourite. What I want to see is a team that is focussed with the job at hand. We have had that in spades from this team this year. No matter what has been thrown at them, they have risen to the challenge with only a few minor hiccups along the way. It is only Rnd 26 after all....:wink:

The young Collingwood players need to continue to play out of their skins to beat us. Don't think their top echelon of players can do it without them. Your first Grand Final is a HUGE distraction, no matter how many times you claim otherwise. Even those top players for Collingwood (Ball and Jolly the exception) have not experienced a GF. Definite distraction.

Still a Saints win for mine and I think people will be very surprised at the margin.
I am so on your page I just got goosebumps.

And the poster above is right. Their pressure against Geelong was enormous, but Geelong didn't wise up. They kept going at the corridor at like a bull at a gate. They didn't try to slow the game or offer a new approach. We adjust on auto-pliot these days.
Last edited by Thinline on Thu 23 Sep 2010 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week. They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Collingwood can have all the attention they want this week, just as long as we get the great majority of it next week.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Collingwood can have all the attention they want this week, just as long as we get the great majority of it next week.
THIS!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I don't think it will do us any harm at all. In fact it might even spur our guys on a tiny bit, being virtually ignored this week.
You have obviously not watched or listened to this team at all this year. They don't care about adulation or favouritism, they just want to win the ultimate prize.
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:They might want to go out and prove that they're also worthy of some attention.
Refer to above response. They couldn't give a fig about attention. They want the cup. Attention and adulation means nothing. Nobody remembers the hype or the flag favourites from Grand Final week. All they remember and all history shows is who wins the Cup. The rest is irrelevant. This team knows that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I could be imagining it, but it appears like the media is almost having a go at the guys for getting us (open training) out of the way on Monday?

I watched AFL360 last night, and they were commending Collingwood on doing grand final week 'so well' and I just couldn't understand the sentiment behind it?

For mine, isn't doing GF week well, doing everything you possibly can to prepare for the opposition?

I don't feel neglected, I am full of admiration for their dedication to doing their absolute best to win this thing.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

As long as Gram and Dal pass the fitness test today and are ruled 100% fit - then I'll be a happy little vegemiter... and also will be happy with our underdog status as I plan to put some bickies on it at good odds.

With Dal and Gram fit - we're almost certainties in my mind.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Let them have their adulation if we keep our eyes on the prize thats all that matters. They were calling Ross the Footy grinch on SEN the other day. They didn't like his round 26 stuff and his no sentiment in footy lines.

Let them have captain happy do all his back slapping and head rubbing before the trophy is in the cabinet, it only gets them a little bit less focussed.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I could be imagining it, but it appears like the media is almost having a go at the guys for getting us (open training) out of the way on Monday?

I watched AFL360 last night, and they were commending Collingwood on doing grand final week 'so well' and I just couldn't understand the sentiment behind it?

For mine, isn't doing GF week well, doing everything you possibly can to prepare for the opposition?

I don't feel neglected, I am full of admiration for their dedication to doing their absolute best to win this thing.
Just an opinion....agree with sentiment of your post but also think the way Coll have allowed the access/treatment of supporter base has been part of the ride feel.....
don't get me wrong of course it is about winning but our supporter base was advised late Sunday for early morning Monday etc and for the rest of the week keep away feel

Can see why media could suggest Pies are embracing their supporter group/traditions of GF week better.....etc

Choice thing by the Clubs though........

saint4life
Furphy
Club Player

I really like the low-profile attitude St.Kilda is maintaing this week. Closed session training/cloke of secrecy, real psychological stuff!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We've been there and done the supporter embrace thing before the GF last year.

The time to embrace is after the fact ... with the cup held high !

Every St Kilda man/woman and his black white and red dog will be there.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I could be imagining it, but it appears like the media is almost having a go at the guys for getting us (open training) out of the way on Monday?

Just an opinion....agree with sentiment of your post but also think the way Coll have allowed the access/treatment of supporter base has been part of the ride feel.....
don't get me wrong of course it is about winning but our supporter base was advised late Sunday for early morning Monday etc and for the rest of the week keep away feel

Can see why media could suggest Pies are embracing their supporter group/traditions of GF week better.....etc

Choice thing by the Clubs though........
I think everything in life is about the intent behind it...

I choose to believe St Kilda's 'intent' in putting themselves back in the bubble, was for our benefit in the long run.

Sure I'd love to go down to another training session, but not at the expense of them losing their focus. Perhaps the players acutely feel the burden of the supporters desperate for a flag?

It's just how you look at it I guess.