Question regarding GF ticket prices...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Question regarding GF ticket prices...

Just a quick question why do we find that people more often than not sell tickets that they obviously dont want for extremely ridiculous prices???
I know that some may want reimbursement on time etc but wanting upwards of $1000 for a Prime seat or Standing room ticket is surely just greed????

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Greed.

lurker#134
Club Player

Also illegal

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Supply vs demand....

There are obviously people out there willing to pay that much for them, so that's what market rate will be.

The only way to reduce scalping would be to not sell a single ticket until the morning of the game. Even that wouldn't stop it completely.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:The only way to reduce scalping would be to not sell a single ticket until the morning of the game. Even that wouldn't stop it completely.
Nup.

The person at the front would simply walk to the back of the queue and start working their way down til they got the price they wanted.

They walk amongst us...

Buckets
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Supply vs demand....

There are obviously people out there willing to pay that much for them, so that's what market rate will be.

The only way to reduce scalping would be to not sell a single ticket until the morning of the game. Even that wouldn't stop it completely.
The real pain is that there are many out there who cannot afford such extreme prices. Hell if I didnt have 3 kids with a 4th on the way on a teacher's wage of all things I might have money like that sitting in my back pocket, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.
I for one know that if I was lucky enough to buy tickets and have one spare wouldnt have a second thought about selling it to someone who needed it at cost price. Why stop others who want to enjoy the day just because they cant make people's wallets fatter than they are!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Buckets wrote:
St Chris wrote:Supply vs demand....

The real pain is that there are many out there who cannot afford such extreme prices. Hell if I didnt have 3 kids with a 4th on the way on a teacher's wage of all things I might have money like that sitting in my back pocket, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.
I for one know that if I was lucky enough to buy tickets and have one spare wouldnt have a second thought about selling it to someone who needed it at cost price. Why stop others who want to enjoy the day just because they cant make people's wallets fatter than they are!
You're preaching to the converted. I'm still searching for tickets but my max budget for 2 tickets hasn't even been enough for 1 at the moment!!!

The problem is, the day is the AFL's biggest money spinner for the whole year, so they're certainly not in any hurry to change things.

As for people scalping, i have no doubt it's been happening since the beginning of time, and will never stop.

digswell
Club Player

not always greed. some of those may be members of clubs who pay higher membership fees each year to support their club and the odd occasion their club makes a grand final they are rewarded with a grand final ticket. the situation may arise where they cannot go so why is it not reasonable to ask over a thousand dollars for something that may have actually cost them many thousands over the years. then some once a year theatre goer who never contributes anything to the club gets to go to a grand final for next to nothing.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

solution is easy....

Don't give the clubs all a 1000 tickets each to onsell.

Give them about 200.

That would free up about 13,000 tickets for members.

To fund the shortfall that the clubs would not get for legally "scalping" these tickets as packages, either the AFL or perhaps state government, needs to inject more funds into each club.

The state govt gives sweet FA $$$ to the AFL......the clubs all got one off grants to build training facilities, but bugger all on going.

All this and the state govt tips hundreds of millions into building AAMI Park for the lesser sports in Melbourne.

Dimwit is right in sooking over the govt not putting enough money into footy.

Brumby could help this Grand Final ticketing problem a lot, and it would take only a fraction of the Myki budget, and grain of salt's worth out of the Desal budget :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

YUP
KINDA RUDE ISNT IT

ive managed to secure one (looking good, MUCH MUCH thanks to the person) and i have been told its face value, as it was a package, that i dont mind at all, not one bit

but when someone whacks money on top or its best offer
pfft

people should be helping out fellow members/posters

messaged someone on bigfooty today who has two tickets in the second row in a saints bay down near the pies CheerSquad end
can you imagine what they are gonna go for?????
280 buck tickets so 560 total (ish)....gonna triple his money

:evil:

Buckets
SS Life Member

digswell wrote:not always greed. some of those may be members of clubs who pay higher membership fees each year to support their club and the odd occasion their club makes a grand final they are rewarded with a grand final ticket. the situation may arise where they cannot go so why is it not reasonable to ask over a thousand dollars for something that may have actually cost them many thousands over the years. then some once a year theatre goer who never contributes anything to the club gets to go to a grand final for next to nothing.
That is something that we decide to do to support the club tho isn't it?
The reason why you pay for those memberships which for those wanting Social Club can't get into straight away because of the waiting list, is to support the club.
Why should someone pay for you supporting the club over X amount of years? Why be a member at all then? If all your worried about is getting the money you spent over the years back if and for some it can be a big IF the team makes it in to a GF??

Buckets
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:solution is easy....

Don't give the clubs all a 1000 tickets each to onsell.

Give them about 200.

That would free up about 13,000 tickets for members.

To fund the shortfall that the clubs would not get for legally "scalping" these tickets as packages, either the AFL or perhaps state government, needs to inject more funds into each club.

The state govt gives sweet FA $$$ to the AFL......the clubs all got one off grants to build training facilities, but bugger all on going.

All this and the state govt tips hundreds of millions into building AAMI Park for the lesser sports in Melbourne.

Dimwit is right in sooking over the govt not putting enough money into footy.

Brumby could help this Grand Final ticketing problem a lot, and it would take only a fraction of the Myki budget, and grain of salt's worth out of the Desal budget :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Think we have a winner!

Buckets
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:YUP
KINDA RUDE ISNT IT

ive managed to secure one (looking good, MUCH MUCH thanks to the person) and i have been told its face value, as it was a package, that i dont mind at all, not one bit

but when someone whacks money on top or its best offer
pfft

people should be helping out fellow members/posters

messaged someone on bigfooty today who has two tickets in the second row in a saints bay down near the pies CheerSquad end
can you imagine what they are gonna go for?????
280 buck tickets so 560 total (ish)....gonna triple his money

:evil:
Unfortunately had a few offers like that through here as well :(

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i was extremely lucky that the person is a good person and its a friend of hers and is happy to pass it on at cost

but yeah whoever said get rid of all the clubs getting near on a 1000 tickets...i agree

and apparently its a game for supporters/members/fans

yeah correct

until the GF comes along

its just plain wrong

should be at least 30 thou for each club imo
that leaves 40 thou for all the suits/sponsors to fight over

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong with scalping if they have got the ticket to use initially but cant go. Its when a person gets 50 tickets and then sells them. Cant really happen anymore though.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Nothing wrong with scalping if they have got the ticket to use initially but cant go. Its when a person gets 50 tickets and then sells them. Cant really happen anymore though.

:shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Nothing wrong with scalping if they have got the ticket to use initially but cant go. Its when a person gets 50 tickets and then sells them. Cant really happen anymore though.

Well if I went to the trouble of getting a ticket and couldnt go i would want more than the cost price and there are plenty willing to pay. Supply and demand.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Well if I went to the trouble of getting a ticket and couldnt go i would want more than the cost price and there are plenty willing to pay. Supply and demand.
Look I dont mind paying for time etc but being asked for $1000 for a standing room ticket that initially costs $142.50 is just greed and nothing more.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

damn f****** straight it is

SaintDebi
Club Player

Scalping is wrong. Full stop. But as long as there are buyers willing to pay it will happen.

I just find it really disheartening when I read so many ads/posts etc with people demanding exhorbitant prices (not referring specifically to SS here).
And when I read posts from brand new posters asking for swaps and offerring pockets full of cash into the bargain it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Of course they have the right to ask, and if someone feels they will benefit by taking up the offer then so be it.
My head knows how it works, but my heart is heavy when I know that I (and I know there are others) who aren't in a position to consider it even if we wanted to.
I know its a bit of sour grapes, and I try not to be like that, but I love my Saints. I support the club year in year out, win or lose, with my membership, and yet I can't go. But as long as you're rich, jump on board the bandwagon and come watch the one and only game you'll ever bother to.

Sorry. Getting more and more disappointed the closer it gets. End of whinge.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
OhMyGoddard
Club Player

Look everybody. Supply and demand is the reason that tickets are sold at inflated prices.
I buy 2 memberships. Full AFL with Saints club support and 11 game with Social Club. Around $700 per year.
If I have a spare ticket, why should I sell it for much less than market value?

If you think your house is worth 500k and someone offers you $550k do you knock back the extra $50k?

Gone are the days when people would buy 20 tickets and their prime reason was to make money. This is why the scalping laws were bought in.

The not competing clubs who get 1000 free tickets and sell them for $1000+ are the true scalpers!

OMG
Buckets
SS Life Member

OhMyGoddard wrote:Look everybody. Supply and demand is the reason that tickets are sold at inflated prices.
I buy 2 memberships. Full AFL with Saints club support and 11 game with Social Club. Around $700 per year.

If you think your house is worth 500k and someone offers you $550k do you knock back the extra $50k?

Gone are the days when people would buy 20 tickets and their prime reason was to make money. This is why the scalping laws were bought in.

The not competing clubs who get 1000 free tickets and sell them for $1000+ are the true scalpers!
How much did you pay for the tickets?????? Not memberships, the tickets and face value of the tickets only?

SaintDebi
Club Player

OhMyGoddard wrote:Look everybody. Supply and demand is the reason that tickets are sold at inflated prices.

I have no objection to getting your money back. Fair enough. But I guess it all depends on your perspective doesn't it?

I entered numerous competions for GF tickets as the season came to an end, before the teams were known.
Always had the thought that if I won (as if!) and StKilda didn't make it, I would have found someone who barracked for one of the participating teams and GIVE them the tickets. Not SELL, but GIVE.

Why? Because I wouldn't have been out of pocket, and it was the "right" thing to do.

But that's just me. As the saying goes: good guys never win.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
OhMyGoddard
Club Player

$250 and $125.

And a teachers wage is ok!

OMG
Buckets
SS Life Member

OhMyGoddard wrote:$250 and $125.

And a teachers wage is ok!
So what is too much when off selling those to Saints members and fans?

Yeah ok when its only you!
Not when you have 3 kids with a 4th on the way!