Thomas' goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar
Club Player

Thomas' goal

I wasn't going to start a thread on this, but it's been bugging me...

When Thomas marked the ball his foot landed on the 50m line and Peake initially stood where he should. Then I looked when Thomas was about to kick it and Peake was perhaps 1.5m back, allowing Thomas to kick from pretty much where he marked it from. He only just made the distance, which made that extra 1.5m rather important.

How did this happen? I've not watched the replay yet, so don't know if the commentators said anything or if I was just seeing things.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

It looked like when Thomas decided to take a shot, Peake decided to get a run up but he never got back to where he should have been. The umpire actually said he should be at 49m but I reckon he was at about 47m when the kick was taken.

Thomas seemed to kick it from pretty much where he marked it in the end. I'd say it was a poor effort from Peake.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saint3d
Club Player

Re: Thomas' goal

Winmar wrote:I wasn't going to start a thread on this, but it's been bugging me...

When Thomas marked the ball his foot landed on the 50m line and Peake initially stood where he should. Then I looked when Thomas was about to kick it and Peake was perhaps 1.5m back, allowing Thomas to kick from pretty much where he marked it from. He only just made the distance, which made that extra 1.5m rather important.

How did this happen? I've not watched the replay yet, so don't know if the commentators said anything or if I was just seeing things.
Nobody seemed to notice. I was yelling at Peake to get on the mark but he gave up at least two metres (I thought three) from what I could see. I was on the opposite flank so it was hard to tell exactly.

Considering only eight other goals were kicked by Collingwood for the day I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

didn't notice it myself, but I can't believe Dale had the balls to go a torp that early in the game!

karnaby
Club Player

Agree with all the above comments - basically gifted them a goal, like we need to do that kind of thing :roll:

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saint3d
Club Player

karnaby wrote:Agree with all the above comments - basically gifted them a goal, like we need to do that kind of thing :roll:
Spot on. This and the 50m penalty were two avoidable goals. That's 18% of their total score for the day!

Although I thought the umpire got it wrong on the 50. Especially after one of them was so thoughtful as to clarify in the first quarter 'It's not fifty because I hadn't blown the whistle yet. The second whistle.'

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:Nobody seemed to notice. I was yelling at Peake to get on the mark
Footballers, they never listen. I swear they're all deaf.

saint3d
Club Player

Beej wrote:
saint3d wrote:Nobody seemed to notice. I was yelling at Peake to get on the mark
And I was pointing at the mark too!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Peake didn't think he would go the torp. He was looking at making sure someone didn't go in from behind and link up something he would have been told to watch for.

I hope he has the nerves out of his system now. He looked better as the nerves settled last week.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I noticed it and was another unheard voice yelling "Get on the mark!!"". And the real issue is, why was Brett Peake even of the mark? It should have been someone taller, and they should stand the mark and jump, and wave their hands. Alas, there are two many Saints players who think that it makes no difference. Geelong have paid strict attention to this for the last four years, and the results are on the board (most of their players actually cheat, and go half a step over the mark). It might be just another 1%er, but they all add up. We are good at most other 1%ers, but (with one or two exceptions) not this one. We do lack someone (like Maxwell) on the backline who can organise these things.

yipper
SS Life Member

It was a ridculous kick - a real mongrel punt kick. If he had of hit properly, the chances of it going straight were minimal. Would have spiralled to one side, usually they tend to hook inwards, probably a point or out on the full!! His kick just wobbled and wobbled and managed to sneak in just making the difference.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

savatage
SS Life Member

Will go down as one of the arsiest kicks of all time.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

Tinarse hack.

Didak's was a beautiful kick.

Thomas was tinny as all hell.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Absolute knob,
Who goes for a torp from 50 at the start of the game? very lucky to have scored a goal,
When he missed the goal in the 3rd, I was up out of my seat…
I hope Lenny or BJ can give him another bone-rattling bump this week...