Those Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Those Umpires

They were pretty good last week, and good again today. I've bagged umpires for +40 years, but I thought these guys were actually very good. Certainly had no effect on the result.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I agree. What's the old saying? You know the umpires are doing well when you don't notice them? The umpires cop a lot of abuse, but these last 2 weeks they have been really good so they deserve credit for that.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
kalsaint
Club Player

Umpires didnt really feature = good result

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

From where I was sitting I we were pretty hard done by the umps for most of the match.

However I don't have the benefit of watching from home.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

saintsareprettygoodhey wrote:From where I was sitting I we were pretty hard done by the umps for most of the match.
+1

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

They got a lot of abuse from the Collingwood supporters who surrounded me. Apparently, they missed about 1000 frees for holding the ball. They were only about 8 up at the time. The only poor decisions for the umps involved Stephen Milne. Nothing new there.

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:They got a lot of abuse from the Collingwood supporters who surrounded me. Apparently, they missed about 1000 frees for holding the ball. They were only about 8 up at the time. The only poor decisions for the umps involved Stephen Milne. Nothing new there.
Holding the ball doesn't seem to exist in the grand finals this year...

older saint
SS Life Member

good last week, poor this week. Chamberlin just had to get himself involved. the deliberate out of bounds on Schnieder was a shocker and Dawes in to Dawsons back early in the 3rd that lead to a goal was poor.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

older saint wrote:good last week, poor this week. Chamberlin just had to get himself involved. the deliberate out of bounds on Schnieder was a shocker and Dawes in to Dawsons back early in the 3rd that lead to a goal was poor.
What about the passage of play just before their 3rd goal - when Gram flew for the mark, seemed to take it cleanly, and was just bundled in mid air (think it may have been Macaffer). Was either a mark, or a clear free, instead the ump paid play on, and 10 seconds later Collingwood get a goal.

The Saints are coming!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not a fan of "letting it go" for the finals, although most seem to like it.
Why do we have a set of rules all year that players get used to, only to not pay any frees when it matters most.
I think it reduces the game to rolling scrum when the most skillful players are scragged and shepparded off the ball the whole time.
However - they had no bearing on the result today…