Tommy Walsh update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh update

http://www.hoganstand.com/int_rules/Art ... ?ID=137090
Back in Ireland for six weeks, Walsh admitted that he does suffer from occasional bouts of homesickeness.

"The best thing is the lifestyle but you do get homesick as well. I miss my family, I miss playing football for Kerry. I miss my friends. It was tough and there were times that you say 'will I pack it in' but you have to stick through these things knowing there is a reward at the end of it.

"It took time to get used to it as all we did for the first six or seven weeks was running. I lost about three quarters of a stone from the running.

"But as the year went on, when the football started and we got into the season, I started to learn all the skills of the game and started to enjoy it. It's been a solid year getting to know the game coming from Gaelic football but I've enjoyed it at the same time."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Walsh update

saintbrat wrote:http://www.hoganstand.com/int_rules/Art ... ?ID=137090
Back in Ireland for six weeks, Walsh admitted that he does suffer from occasional bouts of homesickeness.

"The best thing is the lifestyle but you do get homesick as well. I miss my family, I miss playing football for Kerry. I miss my friends. It was tough and there were times that you say 'will I pack it in' but you have to stick through these things knowing there is a reward at the end of it.

"It took time to get used to it as all we did for the first six or seven weeks was running. I lost about three quarters of a stone from the running.

"But as the year went on, when the football started and we got into the season, I started to learn all the skills of the game and started to enjoy it. It's been a solid year getting to know the game coming from Gaelic football but I've enjoyed it at the same time."
Thanks saintbrat.

Hopefully the weather back home will be miserable and he'll be stuck inside watching Home & Away. That should cure any homesickness :D

I really think that with this year behind him, Tommy can really step up in 2011. He'll never stop learning but at least this time he can commence pre season with a pretty good understanding of the game.

2011 - It's Tommy Time :wink:

MadSaintFan
Club Player

The key for Tommy is to make optimal use of his strengths and avoid trying to be something he's not. Hes big, strong and powerful - thats what he should be trying to bring to the team. He will never have the footskills of a Goddard or the running of a Hayes or the marking of a Riewoldt, but what he does have in spades is brute force. Obviously he needs to work on his deficiancies, but once he learns the flow of the game I'd love to see him in the goal square and using his powerful straight line running to lead hard and smash packs open.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:He will never have the footskills of a Goddard or the running of a Hayes or the marking of a Riewoldt, but what he does have in spades is brute force. Obviously he needs to work on his deficiancies, but once he learns the flow of the game I'd love to see him in the goal square and using his powerful straight line running to lead hard and smash packs open.
I saw him playing for Sandringham a couple of times and his kicking is not bad. He seems to know instinctively how to use his body.

With Kosi likely to be rucking more often we are looking for another key forward

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to rain on the Tommy Walsh parade, but I don't think a raw recruit has ever been under so much pressure to perform. The expectations verge on the ridiculous. He is just learning the game and from what I've seen, while very promising, he still has a hell of a long way to go before he even gets promoted to the senior list and side, let alone starts influencing games. His promotion onto the senior list last year was a strong indication of the faith the coaching panel has in him, something they didn't repeat just recently.

He's no certainty to be promoted back onto the senior list for the start of the season and requires intensive and ongoing coaching development. Wouldn't even be surprised if he's given another full year at Sandringham and is "warehoused" in preparation for 2012. He has the physical size and power to be an impact player, but he has plenty to learn about reading the game and fitting into the RL structure and gameplan. So give Tommy a break. He'll be a beauty, to be sure, to be sure, but it might be later rather than sooner.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to rain on the Tommy Walsh parade, but I don't think a raw recruit has ever been under so much pressure to perform. The expectations verge on the ridiculous. He is just learning the game and from what I've seen, while very promising, he still has a hell of a long way to go before he even gets promoted to the senior list and side, let alone starts influencing games. His promotion onto the senior list last year was a strong indication of the faith the coaching panel has in him, something they didn't repeat just recently.

He's no certainty to be promoted back onto the senior list for the start of the season and requires intensive and ongoing coaching development. Wouldn't even be surprised if he's given another full year at Sandringham and is "warehoused" in preparation for 2012. He has the physical size and power to be an impact player, but he has plenty to learn about reading the game and fitting into the RL structure and gameplan. So give Tommy a break. He'll be a beauty, to be sure, to be sure, but it might be later rather than sooner.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sorry for doubling up. I wasn't trying to emphasize the point through repetition. My bad.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would have him doing a modelling himself on a certain player type development. For example getting as much footage of someone like Barry Hall, then trying to work out what he does well. Hall is a good example of someone who uses his size well in contests. His running on to loose balls will be what makes Walsh exciting if the irish guys that have come before are anything to go by though.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I don't want to rain on the Tommy Walsh parade, but I don't think a raw recruit has ever been under so much pressure to perform. The expectations verge on the ridiculous. He is just learning the game and from what I've seen, while very promising, he still has a hell of a long way to go before he even gets promoted to the senior list and side, let alone starts influencing games. His promotion onto the senior list last year was a strong indication of the faith the coaching panel has in him, something they didn't repeat just recently.

How much of football is learned and how much is instinctive?

I hope he's judged on his form rather than his nationality and upbringing. He may be closer than many think.

The way to fast-track him is to play him at the top level. Sink or swim style.

Let's face it. If he's given a shot at ff, it's not as if his predecessor has set the world on fire lately.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Full interview here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... kerry.html
Walsh also believes that he has benefitted from the full time set up in Australia as he has time to recover properly from the intense training.

He added: 'I feel great from all the full time training - I'd love to be playing Gaelic football in this condition.

And on the topic of being a professional footballer, Walsh admits that it beats being an amateur player back home.

He said: 'That's why I went down to be a professional and to have that lifestyle and I'm enjoying that at the moment.'

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Walsh also believes that he has benefitted from the full time set up in Australia as he has time to recover properly from the intense training.

He added: 'I feel great from all the full time training - I'd love to be playing Gaelic football in this condition.

And on the topic of being a professional footballer, Walsh admits that it beats being an amateur player back home.

He said: 'That's why I went down to be a professional and to have that lifestyle and I'm enjoying that at the moment.'
Loved the story.

Looks like Tommy's committed to making it in the AFL (if he felt any other way I'm sure he would have dropped his guard to the Irish media).

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Loved the story.

Looks like Tommy's committed to making it in the AFL (if he felt any other way I'm sure he would have dropped his guard to the Irish media).
Or waiting for Gaelic to go professional

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:Or waiting for Gaelic to go professional

which still wouldn't pay anywhere near the same amount he would get here.

emmdee
Club Player

Im pretty sure there are 2 league players in the same boat as tommy walsh, learning the game after stella careers in a different sport......with lots more pressure & expectation ...... an interesting comparison i think.....

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Sounds like Tommy Walsh has the right attitude.

As far as pressure goes - I don't see how supposed "unreal" expectations from some fans, the outside world etc.. can present a source of pressure for someone like Tommy Walsh who sounds very "real" (in his own expectations) and very grounded.

If he had unreal expectations himself and expected things to simply fall into his lap from the getgo- that could affect his development - but I don't see any evidence of that.

I reckon we as fans would love (maybe even are eager) to see him do well, rather than expect him to do well - there's a big difference there.

Having said that - if he's at a level now where he can kick a goal a match and can chase down opponents and provide some physicality - then he should be in the forward line - as he won't be replacing anyone who's better at the moment and at least with Tommy Walsh there's going to be a chance of further development.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

gringo wrote:His running on to loose balls will be what makes Walsh exciting
not sure whether i want a Tommy Walsh update on that yet....

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I hope he smashes a few Aussies

Another opportunity awaits!
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Moccha wrote:I hope he smashes a few Aussies
I'm ready for a Tommy Walsh update on him smashing it.
Just not sure him running onto loose balls is in his best interest.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Yes I'm looking forward to the I.R series just to see him in action again! I hope he lights em up! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
I'm ready for a Tommy Walsh update on him smashing it.
Just not sure him running onto loose balls is in his best interest.
Only if it's Luke :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tommy didn't look too out of place in the hybrid game.....kicked a nice long goal.......joey kicked two..... :wink: :wink: ...sammy played a shocker

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was it my imagination, or did Tommy ruck at some point...that could be handy for some around the ground stuff?

I didn't actually realise how tall he was, until seeing him playing against some of the other guys.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Was it my imagination, or did Tommy ruck at some point...that could be handy for some around the ground stuff?

I didn't actually realise how tall he was, until seeing him playing against some of the other guys.
yeah...he started off in the ruck...against jack reiwoldt.....jack beat him....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I noticed he scored more than Jack though, and Jack was apparently full forward.