Lyon Promises Exciting Footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

Lyon Promises Exciting Footy

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... 186xk.html
St Kilda is set to change from the dour unit that locked down opposing teams in recent years, according to coach Ross Lyon.
Bring on 2011 I say.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

+1, if it is to be more like the stuff against Richmond in Rd21, it was incredibly exciting....

Though I honestly learned to enjoy a bit of 'dour' football, especially walking away with more wins than losses.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

As long as it is winning football i dont care what style we play.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stinger
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:As long as it is winning football i dont care what style we play.

wanna be better than the sh!t they showed in gf 2 ffs.... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:As long as it is winning football i dont care what style we play.

That is what confuses me. People said the same thing to me last Sunday at a party and my response was that if we lost the first GF by a point we would have said what a great game by both teams. I think people need to completely forget the footy in the second GF as we were obviously shot to pieces and just remember the style and great game that was the first GF.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Image
as for dean polo....well thats a different story :lol:

Sainter for life.
shmic_s
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Image
as for dean polo....well thats a different story :lol:
Determined?!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ross has lost weight I reckon...

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

That is what confuses me. People said the same thing to me last Sunday at a party and my response was that if we lost the first GF by a point we would have said what a great game by both teams. I think people need to completely forget the footy in the second GF as we were obviously shot to pieces and just remember the style and great game that was the first GF.
Spot on Plugger. I have heard the same. People have conveniently forgotten watching what was one of the best grand finals of all time in GF1. We were certainly shot to pieces for game 2, somewhat mentally but definitely physically.

I think we will look to attack more when we have the momentum, but I think when required we will still lock things down. If we can find a balance on this front it will be great to watch. I still think we have the cattle, and as much as this season has hurt I am starting to get a little more excited about it all again!

I wonder, if (and when) it takes the first 8 weeks to settle our style down and start looking like we are a good side again, those posters who have been calling for change will start to whinge again...?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i just hope we play more attacking football

i still reckon the wworst thing that happened to us in the 1st G/F was actually hitting the front when we did.

In the 2nd half collingwood never looked like scoring until we hit the front and then started playing keepings off, defensive footy. C'wood then scored twice in what was a few minutes, and when they hit the front we went on the offensive again.
1 more minute and we would have had it

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fully agree.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fully agree.
Yup agree fully with this.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

2010 was a year when so many many things went against the Saints.

But yet we almost won the flag.

Winning in 2011 will be tough......but we are in with a good chance.

Roll on 2011.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't throw away our defensive approach which has worked very well, just learn how to be more spontaneous going forward.

It's a fine balance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Lenny
Club Player

Have to admit, I love strangeling the life out of another side :) But will be very happy to kick more goals.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:I hope we don't throw away our defensive approach which has worked very well, just learn how to be more spontaneous going forward.

It's a fine balance.
It is a balancing act but if anyone can do it Ross is the man.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

okay.....i will be more specific.....2 grand final.....8 quarters......we played like headless unthinking chooks in 5 out of the 8 quarters.....and you lot should stop making excuses for the dribble the boys dished up in the first half of the 1st grand final and for 3 out of 4 quarters in the second one.....the filth simply outplayed us the second time...yeah...we were shot....why weren't they????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:just remember the style and great game that was the first GF.
We were 22 points down at half time and lucky to get back into it.

Standing still and not evolving a more attacking game with the emphasis on scoreboard pressure will not cut it, I am afraid.

Of course we still need to defend well, that goes without saying, but I'm looking forward to seeing the coach deliver on his words of today.

Foz
Club Player

I agree with Stinger - in summary of the 2 GF's we were outplayed. In GF2 totally. Utterly. No excuses apart from lack of midfield and hardness was exposed.

Just a quick look at inside 50's in both GF's tells a leading tale.

I'd call Gf1 a classic result but not a classic game. I'll forget GF2 as an abboration once i get a few visions out of my head - Peake's turnovers, Eddy not being able to pass 10 metres, Roo's miss..

I'm still optimistic for 2011 and agree with the forward line re-shuffle. The mids that have been called 'thin' will need some work and some players to step up. Armo, Steven, Dal, Al Smith. I'd be surprised if BJ isnt permanently in the middle.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:okay.....i will be more specific.....2 grand final.....8 quarters......we played like headless unthinking chooks in 5 out of the 8 quarters.....and you lot should stop making excuses for the dribble the boys dished up in the first half of the 1st grand final and for 3 out of 4 quarters in the second one.....the filth simply outplayed us the second time...yeah...we were shot....why weren't they????
Well that's easy, look at the individuals for Collingwood that basically had a week off GF1 and their potential upside....even the media painted it that way after week one.

Oh, and we no longer had the advantage of knowing what what not winning felt like, and their kids no longer were inexperienced.

St Lenny
Club Player

stinger wrote:okay.....i will be more specific.....2 grand final.....8 quarters......we played like headless unthinking chooks in 5 out of the 8 quarters.....and you lot should stop making excuses for the dribble the boys dished up in the first half of the 1st grand final and for 3 out of 4 quarters in the second one.....the filth simply outplayed us the second time...yeah...we were shot....why weren't they????
Believe I was accused of being a troll for saying Collingwood played better than us, but you are right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I agree with Stinger - in summary of the 2 GF's we were outplayed. In GF2 totally. Utterly. No excuses apart from lack of midfield and hardness was exposed.

Just a quick look at inside 50's in both GF's tells a leading tale.

I'd call Gf1 a classic result but not a classic game. I'll forget GF2 as an abboration once i get a few visions out of my head - Peake's turnovers, Eddy not being able to pass 10 metres, Roo's miss..

I'm still optimistic for 2011 and agree with the forward line re-shuffle. The mids that have been called 'thin' will need some work and some players to step up. Armo, Steven, Dal, Al Smith. I'd be surprised if BJ isnt permanently in the middle.

dont knock eddy - he was too busy filling space and playing his role according to the coach selflessly which is why so many of the other 16 teams jumped at drafting him. clearly u dont understand saints footy.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

something similar to 2009's brand of footy would be exciting.

that 2009 style was a little compromised in 2010 from the injuries.

a clean bill of health in 2011 and we'll probably be in for a corker :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

To win a flag, you need to play a game on the last Saturday of September that is special.

You need to play an exceptional game, with exceptional performances from several players.

I can't remember a team playing a 'good' GF and winning a flag. I can't remember seeing a team come out and simply do what they've done all year on GF day, and win it.

Special acts of brilliance need to occur, for a team to win on GF day.

The question is, does the way we're coached allow this to happen? Or are we simply sitting ducks on GF day for another club to come out and do something freakish whilst we grind away and play 'low risk' footy?

The way we play, we need our opposition to have an off day, or choke for us to win.
I don't think the way we play allows us to 'win' a GF. It allows to capitalize if the opposition blow it, but I don't think we make ourselves capable of coming out and 'winning' the GF through playing a single game capable of blowing away a very good opponent on a given day.

That's our issue.

We need to adapt to be able to come out on a given day and have all our stars align and overpower an opponent from the opening bounce.

Clearly in 2009 we were close to that. But the nature of our style, no matter how much better on the day than our opposition we are - they're always in the hunt on the scoreboard.

In boxing terms, we're a good counter puncher. The problem with that is that you're fighting their fight.

On GF day, you need to fight your fight. It's the only way you win them.