Sydney pubs - AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

janator
Club Player

Sydney pubs - AFL

I have a job offer in Sydney which Im weighing up. Obviously with free to air up there I wont be able to see as many Saints games

Can someone from sydney give me a rough idea of how often they get to see the saints play live? are there any pubs that have satellites that pick up a victorian signal?

SinCitySaint
Club Player

As my name suggests I lived in Sydney for a large number of years. Most pubs have foxtel and you can usually get them to put the game on.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Sydney is an afl wasteland, i virtually never see the saints live. Always listen on the radio.

You can occasionally watch a live stream online from someone.

Technology will sooner or later offer a solution.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Sydney is an AFL wasteland and that's just the crowd at the SCG.

A scoreboard that tells you nothing. A crowd that's doesn't even know the words to their team song let along the other team's songs.

No public transport to share conversations with on the way home about the game, umpires or the opposition.

No intelligent conversations with fellow Sainters.

No shared memories of games gone by.

No eyes lighting up as you think of champs like Harves.

You poor thing. :cry:

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

If you're willing to shell out for Foxtel, AFL is actually widely available in Sydney.

The Friday night match and Channel Ten's Saturday night match is on Main Event for no extra cost. The Channel Ten Saturday afternoon match will be live or near live on free-to-air, unless the Swans or Lions are also on Foxtel, which means Channel Ten also have to show it on free-to-air. If that's the case, it will on Main Event for no extra cost.

The only match which we sometimes don't get is the Channel Seven Sunday afternoon match, because either the Swans or the Lions usually play at the same time and Channel Seven have to show the Foxtel broadcast on free-to-air. Mostly, you wont be able to see it Main Event, as they usually show wrestling or something on Sunday arvo.

As for pubs, they aren't any that show any more than what Sydney free-to-air and sybscription TV coverage all ready offer.

This is where live-streaming radio comes in handy.

Hope that helps

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Goldy

The Camelia Grove Hotel (the Cammy) just up from the Alexandria Hotel is a good footy friendly club. I think the Harbour City Saints still go there. Foxtel is a good investment especially for the Fri night Main Event games.

janator
Club Player

Ive always had foxtel, what im asking is is there another way i could see a game on a saturday afternoon that is not on channel 10 or foxtel at a pub or other venue.

i realise free to air will be dominated by NRL

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

janator wrote:Ive always had foxtel, what im asking is is there another way i could see a game on a saturday afternoon that is not on channel 10 or foxtel at a pub or other venue.

i realise free to air will be dominated by NRL
As per my previous post, there is no venue or pub that shows anymore than what free-to-air or Foxtel already show.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Batnoe
Club Player

Start a group guys,

i have a brisbane based group and have over 120 Brisbane saints...

we have over 40 regurlary...turn up

our pub burnt down, but am going to find another pub shortly

It is worth watching it with other fanatics

Carn Saints
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sydney pubs - AFL

janator wrote:I have a job offer in Sydney which Im weighing up. Obviously with free to air up there I wont be able to see as many Saints games

Can someone from sydney give me a rough idea of how often they get to see the saints play live? are there any pubs that have satellites that pick up a victorian signal?
all you need is foxtell.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Don't know how many heard about the test match couch during the tests- guys at home watching a direct feed/ cable vision and postingcommentary on the computer
didn;t think it would take long and it didn't before someone decided to do it for the Football

http://www.footycouch.com/
worth checking out - I beleive they are mainly doing Fox games but connect with thme and see what's likely

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jmac101
Club Player

hey guys,

as a sydneysider i have been reliant on foxtel. seems to work well most of the time. However, with the anti-siphoning laws now it might make a bit of a difference to how the digital channels work and there might be more footy on free to air. but unfortunately you wont know how much until the season starts.

on the pub group topic, if someone started one up where a group of us could meet up and watch the games at a pub i would be interested. would sure beaat throwing stuff at the walls at home when we start losing!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i would check with the sydney based supporter group
The Harbour City Saints Supporter GroupContact
Mark Ford
Ph: (02) 92801126
Mobile: 0411 111 470

http://www.saints.com.au/FanZone/Suppor ... t.aspx#NSW

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Maxstar22
Club Player

Big props to all our interstate supporters 8-)

I seriously don't know how you do it. We are so lucky here in Melbs where we can go to games every week and if we are playing interstate it is easily watched on free to air, foxtel or a pub. I would go spare if I couldn't go to games every week.

A number of years ago I was offered a very good job in Brissy and I knocked it back....the main reason was that I would miss the footy too much
:oops: