Gilbert as a forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert as a forward

I don't buy it. I get that there's some strong this in his favour as a forward; great defensive pressure, good ground level skills etc...But I think his work up forward should solely be an an impact player when the usual system isn't working. His marking isn't as good as his spoiling, his leading isn't great and his kicking for goal is woeful. He simply seems like one of those players who perform best from behind the ball. I'd rather have him as a top 3 B&F defender than a 25 goal per year forward.

Gilbo, please prove me wrong and kick 60, but I don't see it happening.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would be happy to see him playing as a high forward rotating through the midfield. In this role I could see his pace and run as been very creative and as a great link from defense. His run and tackling would also create good forward pressure.

I would not like to see him playing deep, or at FF.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 26 Feb 2011 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Everyone gets more touches behind the ball. We can mourn the loss of Gilbert's stats now. He'll wreak havoc in the forward line. There isn't a running defender in the comp that wants to see Sam Gilbert running at them.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert as a forward

mad saint guy wrote:

Gilbo, please prove me wrong and kick 60, but I don't see it happening.
I may be wrong...but I don't his role will be to kick 60 goals.

super dooper
Club Player

Personally i dont think he is the solution to our foward line.

Roo, Kosi, Milne, Schnieds, Gamble forms the basis of our forward line imo with some midfield goal scorers....

If Gilbert did play forward what output (i.e. goals) would we consider a successive year for him?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Not a forward.. Get back to the backline.

falka
Club Player

Pressure, tackling and ability to take mark make him a dangerous forward.

Kicking still an issue, but in a way, turn it over in the front half better than doing it in the back half. That kick he did inboard from the wing that lead to an easy goal, shows why he might be better up forward, where mistakes dont hurt as much.

I think Kosi as a forward is no longer a full time option, he will spend time as second ruck I reckon, pushing forward at times. So our main marking options will be Gamble, Riewoldt, Gilbert. Kosi not a factor once ball hits the ground.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Needs to learn his role. When the season actually start, i'ld have him play like Lynch is right now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not as effective.....can go fwd, but should start back....

Bj can go fwd too... But should start mid.....

Gwilt can pay fwd, but should play back....

Kosi, roo, gamble, schnieder, Milne, Dal/BJ/Armo/Joey/Lenny

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:Not a forward.. Get back to the backline.
Yep not a forward, he showed last night that he is not a accurate kick for goal. Put him back down in defence where he the most influential for our team. We have uncovered Gamble who can play forward with more impact then Gilbert, also Stanley & Steven are able to play up there... Let Gilbo play there as an impact player every now and then if needed...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets at least wait till the final of the NAB if we make it. We need to see this in action under proper match time simulation. I do agree that I doubt he will be better than an average forward but it is worth the risk. We seem to have plenty of running backmen but not many like him up forward.

ando051
Club Player

Give it a chance everyone, we have seen one practice match and it was Sams first game of the year. I think he will take over from Mini and become a defencive tackling forward who is capable of taking a grab.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pass

roo
kozi
schneides
milne
gamble

stanley
archer
big boy float forward if needed

its also great to see gilbs hasnt worked on his weak side during summer
still cant even think about using that right can he :roll:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He has the tools at his disposal to be good just needs time to grow into the role. He could be a good high forward against teams with high pressure defensive game plans.

Play him high as a line breaker when our only past option has been to hope kosi or Riewoldt marks.

The thought of him sidestepping around static defenders on Aussie Jones type runs makes me hope the forward line works for him.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Gilby proved that he can cause an opposition backline huge problems with his speed, height & evasive skills. The finishing off will come in time, don't forget that he is still learning the game.

Our forward line needs some spark & versatility & it looks like a combination of Gilby, Gamble, Lynch & BJ in addition to the regulars will go a long way to helping cover this need.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets at least wait till the final of the NAB if we make it. We need to see this in action under proper match time simulation.
Absolutely correct.

He's played one practice match. We've gotta see this through before we can make a judgement.

People talk about his goal kicking but he's also been known to turn it over a bit playing in defense. As some have said, Roo needs a bit of help down there to take the pressure, and battering, off him and that can't be achieved with a bunch of small goalsneaks.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. With Raph & Gwilt looking to have improved, the backline seems to be in good hands.

Today's newspaper photos show the pressure of two opponents on Roo at all times. Another marking option may neutralise the intense pressure that's put on him each week. Gilbo is certainly worth perservering with up forward. Time will tell and we have the luxury of having the time at the moment. :!:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Just watched the replay. Both Gilbert's turnovers were in the back half and one of them resulted in a goal against. He was much better in the front half. He helped to create a couple of turnovers and played a lot on Corey Enright, who had just about the worst game I've ever seen him play.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:pass

roo
kozi
schneides
milne
gamble

stanley
archer
big boy float forward if needed

its also great to see gilbs hasnt worked on his weak side during summer
still cant even think about using that right can he :roll:
pass :wink:

I'd persist for the time being, give him a couple of weeks at it at least. I reckon his pressure alone has the potential to cause fumbles and turnovers, we were so down on tackles inside 50 last year, and the forward line was screaming for some mobility. If he can even concentrate on doing that, it will probably be the opportunist goal kickers that benefit from his causing a turnover.

Roo
Kosi
Milne
Gamble
Gilbert

Schneider to the midfield more.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I would be happy to see him playing as a high forward rotating through the midfield. In this role I could see his pace and run as been very creative and as a great link from defense. His run and tackling would also create good forward pressure.

I would not like to see him playing deep, or at FF.
Not sure about rotating through the midfield, although I'm not against it (especially the wing), but I agree that he's not well suited to playing deep forward, as he was last night. That's not his spot. He's not physically solid, so is not really suited to one on one marking contests. His main strength is his speed and stamina which makes him ideally suited across half forward, to give us a legitimate lead-up option and help keep Roo closer to goal. His inconsistent kicking is clearly a question mark, but that's the case wherever he plays.
I like the idea of him playing on the flank, or at CHF, with Roo and Kosi (or McEvoy, Stanley, or Gardiner) inside the 50, possibly with Gamble or Tom Lynch (who looks very good).
Across HF he can just run someone off their legs, leading up and back and all over the place, like he did in GF2 and in a game earlier last year, when he played a quarter there in a game at Etihad. The sort of running that Roo used to do out there, when he was trying to play FF and CHF at the same time. Anyone that's fast and fit enough to keep up with Gilbo, out there, almost certainly won't be tall enough to compete with him in the air, so he'll be incredibly hard to match up on. He'll also be able to run back with the flight of the ball, when it goes into the 50 slowly and float over packs to take marks, like he's done so much down back. At 194cm, with very long arms and a big leap, he could do that a lot.
I don't want him up there for his goalkicking, but to mainly do the lead-up running and marking between the 50 and the wings, that Roo has done so much of during his career and then thump it long into the 50, or give it off to someone running past. This will allow Roo to play semi-permanently inside 50 and I don't think any of the opposing coaches would be looking forward to that too much, especially if his new goalkicking technique continues to be as successful as it was last night. If it does, he could easily give 100 goals in a year a nudge, plus whatever we get from Kosi, Milne, Schneider, Gamble, Gilbert, Stanley, Gardi and McEvoy. We don't need Gilbo kicking 60, as someone suggested.
This, along with hopefully being more attacking, as Lyon has said we're aiming to be, could be the things that make us significantly better this year. It seems to be what we're banking on and it makes sense to me.
We need to give it a little bit of time, though. And who knows how fit Gilbo is at the moment.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 27 Feb 2011 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
shmic_s
Club Player

He is not a deep forward.
If he plays forward, he will push up the ground and create an option for the backs coming out. This will allow Roo to play closer to goal. His tackling pressure is excellent and he's a smart player. Will help create plenty of goal scoring opportunities.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly and I forgot about his tackling. He'll be able to "mind the space" that Mini apparently did last year, tackle even better and get a heap more marks and kicks. Mini can then be an option in the midfield rotations, like he did very well last night.
All making our side far better balanced.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Also with Gilbert his own out put is not the only meausre of the success or not of him playing forward.

Part of the reson he is there is to free up Roo by having dangerous options that prevent the oppostion playing 2 or 3 on Roo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i still really like the idea. hes a real talent - just needs to work on his kicking. but i think id stick with him as a fwd for a while yet.

he will slow down running backs like maxwell/gilbee types and he can turn around and take a grab on a lead. can be a real handful. and we do have some ok defenders at our disposal now. with gwility, raph and even simpkin playing his role down back we can afford this experiment. it means roo can play closer to goal and kosi can have a run in the ruck.

id persist with it. hes a gun player.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 27 Feb 2011 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintersss
Club Player

To me he just lacked intensity last night and played at about 40%, even Ross said he was paddling when he was interviewed. But when he put in any effort he actually looked pretty good.

I think its an experiment worth having and by the time finals come along we'll know if he is able to play there or not. And with Raph looking good down back, we won't miss him TOO much down there.