Good to hear our club song last night!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear our club song last night!!!

at the BB King concert!!! :lol: The place rocked as the old master belted out "When the Saints go marching in"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good to hear our club song last night!!!

thejiggingsaint wrote:at the BB King concert!!! :lol: The place rocked as the old master belted out "When the Saints go marching in"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Is he related to Steven King :wink:

:lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good to hear our club song last night!!!

Dr Spaceman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:at the BB King concert!!! :lol: The place rocked as the old master belted out "When the Saints go marching in"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Is he related to Steven King :wink:

:lol:
No I think it is Far.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: "far"? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Many years ago, my father saw the famous Preservation Hall Jazz Band in New Orleans. At the end of the 'gig' the guys asked for requests. Dad requested 'When the Saints go Marchin' In'...he said their version was sensational!

When I was a kid we had an old 45rpm record of the 'Story of the Saints' made in the '60s (after the flag). Included on it was a version of 'Oh when the saints" by famous Aussie 'trad jazz' musician the late great 'Smacka' Fitzgibbon.
Great memories.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Many years ago, my father saw the famous Preservation Hall Jazz Band in New Orleans. At the end of the 'gig' the guys asked for requests. Dad requested 'When the Saints go Marchin' In'...he said their version was sensational!

When I was a kid we had an old 45rpm record of the 'Story of the Saints' made in the '60s (after the flag). Included on it was a version of 'Oh when the saints" by famous Aussie 'trad jazz' musician the late great 'Smacka' Fitzgibbon.
Great memories.
Great memories indeed Kiely.

My parents, who are no longer with us, started the Victorian Jazz Club back in the 60s (I think) and made about a dozen trips to New Orleans in their latter years. "Oh When The Saints" was often heard in our house even though they weren't footy heads.

Oh and I think we had that 45 as well :D

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I was at 'Smacka''s funeral in North Melbourne. Bert Newton did the eulogy...visibly moved but totally professional.

In true New Orleans style the funeral procession left the church to an up-beat number...I'd like to say it was 'Oh when the saints.." but I think it was actually a tune called 'Didn't he ramble?".

I just think that 'Oh when the saints', played in traditional jazz style, is one of the greatest things in the world.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Nice comments about the song, guys, and old "Smacka". I love "trad" too! Mrs Jigging and I were fortunate enough to visit the Louis Armstrong house in Queens New York City, back in 2007, and what did we hear upon entering? "Oh when the Saints"!!!!! Satchmo made the song his own and I love his version!
BB King did the song as a "call and response" which was a lot of fun! I kept SHOUTING "to be with St Kilda" at the appropriate spot! (and a few others around me were too! :lol: )

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Nice comments about the song, guys, and old "Smacka". I love "trad" too! Mrs Jigging and I were fortunate enough to visit the Louis Armstrong house in Queens New York City, back in 2007, and what did we hear upon entering? "Oh when the Saints"!!!!! Satchmo made the song his own and I love his version!
BB King did the song as a "call and response" which was a lot of fun! I kept SHOUTING "to be with St Kilda" at the appropriate spot! (and a few others around me were too! :lol: )
Fortunate to meet Louis Armstrong at Essendon Airport back in about 1964. Folks became good friends with him and his wife and constantly exchanged letters. Legend has it that he agreed to be my Godfather though I am unable to find any proof of this and the folks are no longer with us.

I do however vaguely remember that day at the airport where the great man bought me a ham and cheese sandwich :)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Doc! WHAT a great story!!!! :lol: I have a picture of "Satch" on the fridge He's sitting on the stoop blowing his horn with the neighbours kids! It's an enduring image of the guy for me! I can well imagine him shouting you the sandwich! Great music! Great man!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Doc! WHAT a great story!!!! :lol: I have a picture of "Satch" on the fridge He's sitting on the stoop blowing his horn with the neighbours kids! It's an enduring image of the guy for me! I can well imagine him shouting you the sandwich! Great music! Great man!!!!
Hey jiggster, we had a picture in our dunny of Satchmo siting on the loo. It had the words "swiss krissly" on it.

Later found out this was the name of a herbal laxative that the great man swore by and who became his sponsor :D

mcadam05
Club Player

here's the great Man

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Macca!!! I have several versions of him singing the song and this will be added to my list!!! Doc, loved the anecdote about Swiss Krissly I have a DVD about his life and Tony Bennett (who idolised Satchmo) told of the great man giving out samples at a dinner party with the British Royal family!!! hysterical!!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Thanks Macca!!! I have several versions of him singing the song and this will be added to my list!!! Doc, loved the anecdote about Swiss Krissly I have a DVD about his life and Tony Bennett (who idolised Satchmo) told of the great man giving out samples at a dinner party with the British Royal family!!! hysterical!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mcadam05
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Thanks Macca!!! I have several versions of him singing the song and this will be added to my list!!! Doc, loved the anecdote about Swiss Krissly I have a DVD about his life and Tony Bennett (who idolised Satchmo) told of the great man giving out samples at a dinner party with the British Royal family!!! hysterical!!!!!!
This is THE BEST StKILDA THEME! by far I posted it on youtube 18mths ago and still sounds great :)

oh when
Club Player

Trevor's Funeral

The whole version was sang at Trevor's Funeral.

jays
Club Player

lol good stuff