Changes for next week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Changes for next week?

Changes for next week?

Out... Baker probably.
McQualter
(Who else? I did'nt see the game?)

IN.. Montagna,
Archer (by the sounds of it at least he will have a go)
Lynch if fit
Walsh. Time to give him a go.

Who else? Any more mids?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

In: Joey, Lynch, Smith.
Out McQualter, Goddard, Baker.

Ouch, but f*** me if something ain't gotta be done about that there boy in bold...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:In: Joey, Lynch, Smith.

Ouch, but f*** me if something ain't gotta be done about that there boy in bold...
That is a disgusting thing to say about a club champion. He bleeds for this club.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:

That is a disgusting thing to say about a club champion. He bleeds for this club.
I'm not saying he should be dropped, but why should anyone be guaranteed their spot?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Bait NOT taken.

It won't happen, but he simply ain't buttering bread at present. Maybe a few weeks in the magoos might kick start him.

Another high profile dropee, Taylor Walker, kicked 8 for Norwood on the weekend... Sometimes a visible whack oils the gears a touch.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

OUT: Baker (suspended), Armitage (suspended??), Kosi, McQualter

IN: Montagna, Archer/Stanley, Winmar, Lynch

Time to let the kids show us what they are made off...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I only saw the last couple of minutes of the match, so I am going from the write-ups and the stats and the SC points alotted in the Hun. There they gave 16 points to McQualter for 4 possessions and 1 tackle, and 21 points to Cripps for 6 possessions 2 tackles, and 2 goals. Both of these were Subs of course so only played half the game. Then they had Milne with 37, Dawson with 40, Gram with 41, Jones with 47 (6 tackles) and Polo 48, Steven 49 (7 tackles). then Baker and Dempster with 56 each. They gave 156 points to Sam Fisher, so these blokes above scored very badly.
From those figures you would have to say our worse in order were McQualter, Milne, Dawson, Gram, Cripps, Jones, Polo and Steven. Do those of you who actually were at the game agree with this order? And if so how many need to be dropped?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone tell me how Stanley has been going at Sandy, I had high hopes that he would be a superstar

I love this club
spert
Saintsational Legend

Simple- whoever is currently playing in the midfield and onball, gets dropped as their workrate is absolutely s***. Bring in Stanley, Archer, Gamble, Smith, Johnson, Lynch and Winmar, elevate Walsh- send the message to those in the seniors who won't have crack..you're in the VFL until you show some application and fight...follow up your words with action Ross.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Bait NOT taken.

It won't happen, but he simply ain't buttering bread at present. Maybe a few weeks in the magoos might kick start him.

Another high profile dropee, Taylor Walker, kicked 8 for Norwood on the weekend... Sometimes a visible whack oils the gears a touch.
I know I'm going over old ground here but the last time somebody suggested dropping Goddard the internet nearly dropped out with convulsion. I think he should have been dropped a week ago.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

But what do you do with BJ if dropped? Does he need a complete break from footy for a couple of weeks? Or would a game with Sandy help him find form?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:But what do you do with BJ if dropped? Does he need a complete break from footy for a couple of weeks? Or would a game with Sandy help him find form?
Who knows. But he's taking up a spot that could be better filled by someone that gives a sh1t.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Next week against Melbourne is a perfect opportunity to make some wholesale changes, as they do not have many big-body players.

The team will naturally need to have positional balance. New players should be offered consecutive games of 3 - 4 to settle in to the increased game intensity.

Potential "outs," (which may be hard on a couple) - Baker (suspended), McQualter, Jones, Kosi, Gram.

"Ins" from Archer, Stanley, Winmar, Lynch, Walsh, Montagna.

For me, Polo definitely worth another game, it never got down to Milney, Dawson did well in first 3 quarters under enormous pressure, Steven jus a player.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Lynch was badly crunched on the weekend and stretchered off. Not convinced he'll be available.

Baker will probably go at the tribunal. Armo might. McQualter the most likely selection victim.

Ins - Montagna, Smith, Winmar.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Bait NOT taken.

I know I'm going over old ground here but the last time somebody suggested dropping Goddard the internet nearly dropped out with convulsion. I think he should have been dropped a week ago.
It was your choice of words that rankled. You know that.

On reflection don't Sandy have the bye?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Armo & Baker will miss - no doubt about it. In a week where media scrutiny is on arms and elbows (Baker, Hocking, Pratt etc.) they'll be part of the AFL's response.

Baker - Intentional, High contact, Low Impact - probably a week or reprimand for anyone else, but his record will probably make it at 2.

Armo - Reckless, high contact, medium impact - probably a week too, not sure of his record or carry-over points??

Lynch must get a game soon. Unless he is doing a Jarryd Allen/Leigh Fisher "playing out his contract", his form warrants a senior game. Especially as he's seen no less than 6 Sandy teammates get call-ups. I don't care if RL doesn't think he works hard enough, surely form on the park must mean something?? With a 7 day break he should be right after getting KO'd

Smith could come back in. Another kid who's been around long enough, he needs a good run to show what he's got, and I thought he was OK in the games he played.

RL is obviously a big fan of Ledger's, I'd expect him to get a call up in the next few weeks, after he has a few games into the legs.

I think Goddard needs to settle into a position for a few weeks. Rather than throw him around the park, let him play on a half back flank for a couple of weeks, or play him out of the goal square. And leave him there. He can concentrate on his role for the team, rather than try to be everything to everyone.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Out : Baker, McQualter, Polo, Steven

In : Montagna, Lynch, Smith, Heyne

Jack Steven is definitely part of our future, but he needs to go back Sandy and find some touch.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yep, BJ either needs a run in the magoos or a week fishing in Darwin to freshen up his head.

Whatever works.

I'd be comfortable if he went away for a week.

He has the hunger of a vegan at an abattoir.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would be dropping Gram before BJ.

Just put BJ back in the backline, rather than as a contested ball mid where he is struggling.

Alternatively...wing or HF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yep, BJ either needs a run in the magoos or a week fishing in Darwin to freshen up his head.

Whatever works.

I'd be comfortable if he went away for a week.

He has the hunger of a vegan at an abattoir.
Well if he needs a change, if he needs a break, why not give him a run as sub for a week?

Bring him on in the 3rd quarter and just let him go for it.

Better than dropping the guy.

older saint
SS Life Member

Out: McQualter, Baker,
In: Smith, Montagna

If Amitage out then replace him with Peake

Lynch Ko'd so working on not available otherwise needs to come in to see if he is or is not up to it.

Goddard to CHB and plays there no matter what does not allow himself to get taken to goal square.

Gram - under real pressue,
Ray - Start using like Cross from Dogs a tagger who can also get the ball

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for next week?

borderbarry wrote:Changes for next week?

Out... Baker probably.
McQualter
(Who else? I did'nt see the game?)

IN.. Montagna,
Archer (by the sounds of it at least he will have a go)
Lynch if fit
Walsh. Time to give him a go.

Who else? Any more mids?

So is it safe to assume that given you didnt see the seniors this week (fo what may be a valid excuse - it doesnt really worry me), most certainly you didnt see the reserves play..?

Makes it hard to push for players to be elevated, and even dropped, based on absolutely nothingness.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote:Jack Steven is definitely part of our future, but he needs to go back Sandy and find some touch.
Steven led our tackle count with 7, an area where we were smashed. I don't think he'll be dropped.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
spert
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Jack Steven is definitely part of our future, but he needs to go back Sandy and find some touch.
Steven led our tackle count with 7, an area where we were smashed. I don't think he'll be dropped.
I for one would rather see Steven on the ball, getting clearances and kicking goals, and having a couple of tackles, rather than being totally defensive. As a matter of fact I reckon Steven is carrying too much bulk and maybe needs to look at a few Ben Cousins WCE vids to see what gut-running is all about.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Selection Policy now needs to be biased with "Can this guy improve with more senior games".

Steven fits into that camp.

Gram does not.
Kosi does not.
Mini does not.
Baker does not.

Now you cannot play all the under 50-gamers...but we now need to be selecting for the future....and so a goodly number do.

Take say Mini and Cripps. aruguable who was better on the day...but Mini has no future whereas Cripps may becomea player.

So you would stick with Cripps.

But all of Stanley, Smith, Johnno, Lynch, Archer, Cripps etc will not play next week

But I personally would be disappointed if a few more young players were not given game time.

Suspensions may open two doors anyway....but probably another one or so should come in.

Unfortunately midfield was our biggest hole last week and we lack young mids.

But lets not just have Out: Baker In: Joey. That would be head in the sand stuff.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....