Season 2011 - Still a write-off?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Season 2011 - Still a write-off?

Suddenly, things are looking a little brighter. Two weeks ago it was Prozac Nation after a clanger ridden defeat to the hands of Hawthorn.

What a difference a pair of wins makes. Could our fortunes be taking a turn for the better?

Right now, I don't want us to get too ahead of ourselves, but by golly, there a few mediocre teams in that top 8 who will need to pull their weight in order to stay up.

To cast our minds back to the opening two rounds, where we weren't ruthless in putting away the opposition and thus costing 6 points from our current ladder tally, it'd be easy to say we'd be almost coasting in the top 8 right now. On the flip side, you could say that those opportunities squandered are serving as learning curve in putting us back on track.

I'd like to think we're beginning to get hot on the heels, like Lee Marvin in pursuit through heavy snow for Charles Bronson, in early 80's action-thriller Death Hunt.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Got to love a film reference from a Bronson flick by a guy with a mullet in his avatar.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Got to love a film reference from a Bronson flick by a guy with a mullet in his avatar.

Outstanding. I'm going to go and hire it out right now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Some crap teams in the 8.

Pies, Cats are very good sides. Then Blues, Hawks and Bombers are ok-good.

After that its just riff raff.

saint tash
Club Player

Don't worry about the Bumbers they will drop off as the season progresses. Quote me on it after Round 24.

They should make the 8 but there aren't many diamonds in that lot.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:Don't worry about the Bumbers they will drop off as the season progresses. Quote me on it after Round 24.

They should make the 8 but there aren't many diamonds in that lot.
I agree. They are only just starting to flex a bit of muscle this year.

Too inexperienced to be a real threat. I think Carlton and Hawthorn are a step ahead of Essendon. Yet both those sides don't seem powerful enough to overcome the current top two sides.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

I'd say we still need to take it a week at a time. We're still a couple of wins out of the eight, we are nowhere near where we want to be and we have a pretty tough couple of weeks ahead.

I'd say in two months time we'll have a clearer idea as to whether we'll be genuine contenders this year (ie. we get a bit of streak going), filling a spot in the eight or a write-off in 2011.

I truly hope that the performance against Fremantle is the beginning of something special, but there's no point getting ahead of ourselves when we have 3 wins from 9 games. One week at a time :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

2011 is not a write off, it's just a rebuilding year. Happy to go for a premiership in 2012.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Next three weeks is huge.

Collingwood, Bulldogs, Geelong.

Should beat bulldogs.

If we win one of Geelong or Collingwood, we're without doubt finals-bound, maybe a semi or even a prelim.

Win just one, might scrape into the eight.

Lose all three, then 2011 is a write-off.

WIN all three, and we're genuine contenders.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
bigred
Saintsational Legend

G
O
R
N

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:G
O
R
N
For making the eight??

If this thread is about us winning the flag this season then it's dreamland stuff!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I reckon the season is cooked.

Always want to win though, and always want to play finals.

I cant shake the feeling that this year should be a reset development year.

Then have a crack again in 2012.

That said, if they lift to another level, such as against Freo, if they can keep that intensity against the top sides, then who knows? We could be a contender again.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

G et
O n
R oo for the
N orm Smith now!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We're definetly good for another heartbreaking loss in time on in a Grand Final yet. Threepeat beckons

Bring back the Lockett era
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lose by THREE points in the grand final replay, replay, replay.

By the replay of the replay, only 23,000 peeps show up to watch....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

How can it be a write-off while we're still a chance to make the finals?

Call me an optimist however I reckon that if we can make the finals, and if we are playing our best football at the end of the season, anything can happen.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Yeah I reckon the season is cooked.

Always want to win though, and always want to play finals.

I cant shake the feeling that this year should be a reset development year.

Then have a crack again in 2012.

That said, if they lift to another level, such as against Freo, if they can keep that intensity against the top sides, then who knows? We could be a contender again.
Spot on.

Thought as much since R2.

Once we lost Lenny and looked like we were mnetally down (not physically, we seem to run out games pretty well), I have thought to consolidate in 2011 and try once more in 2012.

It is heartening that we will have our core still in their prime plus we have added some spark in our younger players like Mac, Armo, Steven, Sipposs, Winmar, Smith, Simpkin etc.

The game plan seems to be getting a workover with Dal down back, Fish and Gilbo in the middle a bit, Roo playing higher (much more damaging) and not relying on Roo and milne to kick all our goals.

I think this season is shot, you have to be in the top four to win the flag and we are 2.5 games out plus %. We may make the eight, but it is nigh on impossible to make a GF let alone win it from the lowere eight.

No doubt the coach and players will think differently, but in reality the season is done.

A long preseason, starting in 2011, getting experience into our quality kids, getting Lenny back, and some inspired drafting and recruiting of another big bodied ruckman could see us having a dip in 2012.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:How can it be a write-off while we're still a chance to make the finals?

Call me an optimist however I reckon that if we can make the finals, and if we are playing our best football at the end of the season, anything can happen.
Of course, but we're a long way down the ladder with poor percentage, a few handy players sore, and two of the top four to play in the next three weeks.

Hypothesising now is pie in the sky stuff.

We need to beat some quality to get a true measure. Freo were not quality. If not for Adelaide's effort on the weekend, I would have said Freo's effort was the worst by any team all year. Soft as.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I cant shake the feeling that this year should be a reset development year.
Why? We've got the cattle, no doubt about it. When we turn up to play, there's even less doubt.

The only things that have made this season shakey are a lack of self-belief (gone?), the wobbly infusion of a few kids, and fitting guys into a modified (supposedly more attacking) gameplan. Looks like all this is starting to come together (has since the Carlton and Adelaide games), and may produce the desired result...a top 8 finish.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe the blind optimism and short memories some of our supporters seem to have.

We have beaten Melbourne and Freo who are bottoms sides that are decimated with injury.

You can’t produce games like we did against the Hawks and expect to be contenders in the same season. It’s not reality.

Yes we are a chance to make the eight but we would just be making up the numbers.

Surely the modern Saints supporters understand what it takes to win in September and we don’t have what it takes. Not this season anyway.

Having said that; fairy tales do happen.

Bring on 2012

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we put in an strategic 18 month plan we can steal it next year. There are only realy 3 good teams. Lot of Riff Raff after that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I can't believe the blind optimism and short memories some of our supporters seem to have.

We have beaten Melbourne and Freo who are bottoms sides that are decimated with injury.

You can’t produce games like we did against the Hawks and expect to be contenders in the same season. It’s not reality.

Yes we are a chance to make the eight but we would just be making up the numbers.

Surely the modern Saints supporters understand what it takes to win in September and we don’t have what it takes. Not this season anyway.

Having said that; fairy tales do happen.

Bring on 2012
That's why I said IF we can make the finals, AND IF we are playing our best football at the end of the season, anything can happen.

If we fall into the 8, yeah forget it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spacey,

IF we don't make the top 4 forget about Grand Finals.

It's a fairly easy to understand equation, and works almost always!!

Cheers
SP.

Richter
SS Life Member

Like others I reckoned that the season was cooked after round 2. Really the signs were there in the Geelong game too.

And then the second half performance against the Hawks dashed any renaissance.

Realistically, the reason why we have been able to come back these last two games is on the back of at least breaking even in the middle of the groud. Melbourne had Jamar out, and Freo had Sandilands out. Is our ruck division really strong enough to consistently match it with the likes of Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton and Geelong?

On the other hand, it could be said that we are just now emerging from the double GF hangover and adapting to a new gamestyle. Our fitness looks good and the boys have gotten their appetite back for doing the hard stuff. Some of the younger lads are fitting in well - take a bow Armo and Steven in particular - and look to have much more upside than the players they have replaced (Mini, Gamble).

The next 3 weeks are a terrific test for the club to see which way it will go.

One final positive. In 2011 I am yet to see the Saints win a live game - was away for the Melbourne game. On Friday night I travel overseas again for 3 weeks..... I'm taking one for the team....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I can't believe the blind optimism and short memories some of our supporters seem to have.
Remember 2009 and 2010?