Jackson Trengrove

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Jackson Trengrove

Is keen to come back to Melbourne and we could do with a power forward such as him.

Richmond lead the race but who knows? We may be lucky.
Last edited by Old Mate on Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, he would be exactly what we are looking for. If Ross is fair dinkum about buying a key fwd, then look no further I reckon.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Would be a great get, Port would be very upset if he left...he's a ripper. I certainly hope we've been involved in talks with his management at least (not Paul Connors, I hope).

Saint4Eva
Club Player

I havent seen a lot of him to be honest. what are his strengths??

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Only problem is Trengove's making a name in defence.

It was alleged that John Butcher said in draft camp that he was determined to play for St. Kilda at some point during his career. Now there's a trade I'd like to see us swing with Port.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I wanted Trengove when we took Lynch.

Trengove was supposed to or highly rated to be top ten. Going to Adelaide. They took Dangerfield and I was stoked!

Got to our pick are we pulled Lynch out of nowhere...

Seems everyone had the same stance, as Jackson was coming off a very significant injury.

super dooper
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Only problem is Trengove's making a name in defence.

It was alleged that John Butcher said in draft camp that he was determined to play for St. Kilda at some point during his career. Now there's a trade I'd like to see us swing with Port.
Exactly right.

I'm wondering what you see in him that makes him a "power forward"?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:It was alleged that John Butcher said in draft camp that he was determined to play for St. Kilda at some point during his career. Now there's a trade I'd like to see us swing with Port.
Yep, have thought this also...

Would be a great get...

Big fan of Trengove too...

These are 2 guys we must look at, as well as Vince...

Every other name floating around (J. White, Hawkins, Fev, etc...) are not worth it, and will be no better than our growing list of recycled duds... Without doubt the biggest list of this sort in the comp (possibly Birssy second)...

If we trade or target a current player, they must have serious upside, and age on thier side, currently playing AFL level...

No more of these stagnating hacks....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saint4Eva wrote:I havent seen a lot of him to be honest. what are his strengths??
I could see him more as a swingman, ala Blake (defense/ruck), than a KP forward (Butcher would be the man for that - Saints fan who idolised Roo as a kid - but a bit injury prone). JT is currently a KP back and pinch ruck. He has good all round disposal, makes good decisions quickly, but most impressively never shirks a contest and has some aggressiveness to him...at least, this is what I've noted. I just like the guy, he's got work ethic and some talent. Anyone else add to this?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:If we trade or target a current player, they must have serious upside, and age on thier side, currently playing AFL level...

Never a trade fan when it comes to KP players, but if we were to offload Kosi for anyone, Butcher and a pick would be it. Gives Port a ready made ruck and KP forward, if they see value in it, but there's no guarantees with Butcher. Still, are there any guarantees with Kosi? How would we fill the gap in the meanwhile (e.g. Archer, Johnson, Stanley, do you take the risk)? Would Port go for it? Probably No, one of them (risk), no.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Sobraz wrote:If we trade or target a current player, they must have serious upside, and age on thier side, currently playing AFL level...

Never a trade fan when it comes to KP players, but if we were to offload Kosi for anyone, Butcher and a pick would be it. Gives Port a ready made ruck and KP forward, if they see value in it, but there's no guarantees with Butcher. Still, are there any guarantees with Kosi? How would we fill the gap in the meanwhile (e.g. Archer, Johnson, Stanley, do you take the risk)? Would Port go for it? Probably No, one of them (risk), no.
I reckon the only way Port would go for a trade would be for picks and/or young players not someone like Kosi. If Trengrove asked for a trade then they may go for Stanley plus our first pick for Trengrove. Stanley is a Sth Aussie right? May be win win.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:To be honest, he would be exactly what we are looking for. If Ross is fair dinkum about buying a key fwd, then look no further I reckon.
We should tank it up to get him.

Although plugger66 doesnt believe in tanking.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Moods wrote:To be honest, he would be exactly what we are looking for. If Ross is fair dinkum about buying a key fwd, then look no further I reckon.

Con, can you just pop down to Seaford and let Ross and the players know you wish them to lay down for the rest of the season?

They've been so busy trying to find a cafe they probably haven't even had time to consider the prospect.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Not sure I have ever said that. I fully believe in tanking and a side would be crazy not to do it in previous years when we had a priority pick. I am unsure if that pick still exists.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jackson Trengrove

[quote="Old Mate"] power forward /quote]

Well you got half of it right, he is from the Power :wink: but as has been mentioned he is a defender/ruck, kinda like Blake but with better footy skills.. Wouldnt help out our forward issues as he has only kicked 5 goals in his career but would be worth a crack at as that swingman to replace Blake.

Would require our first rounder to pick him up though and probably something to sweeten the deal as he is highly rated and was a high draft pick.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Not sure I have ever said that. I fully believe in tanking and a side would be crazy not to do it in previous years when we had a priority pick. I am unsure if that pick still exists.
Also, traditionally, you wait til you can't make the finals before you decide to tank.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Old Mate wrote: power forward /quote]

Well you got half of it right, he is from the Power :wink: but as has been mentioned he is a defender/ruck, kinda like Blake but with better footy skills.. Wouldnt help out our forward issues as he has only kicked 5 goals in his career but would be worth a crack at as that swingman to replace Blake.

Would require our first rounder to pick him up though and probably something to sweeten the deal as he is highly rated and was a high draft pick.
Yeah I know. I read the Herald Sun article wrong and thats what I was quoting. They said he's a power big man. Almost got it right. I'm pretty sure he was recruited as a forward though.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I reckon the only way Port would go for a trade would be for picks and/or young players not someone like Kosi. If Trengrove asked for a trade then they may go for Stanley plus our first pick for Trengrove. Stanley is a Sth Aussie right? May be win win.
You're probably closer to the mark, although Port has no shortage of green kids, but lack another established power forward since Tredders went (Daniel Stewart not quite there, Westoff OK but a lone hand, Butcher too far off), and only have one established ruck.

Stanley would be an option, I was thinking more of a Butcher trade. He is a South Aussie, but they don't always want to come back. :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I reckon the only way Port would go for a trade would be for picks and/or young players not someone like Kosi. If Trengrove asked for a trade then they may go for Stanley plus our first pick for Trengrove. Stanley is a Sth Aussie right? May be win win.
You're probably closer to the mark, although Port has no shortage of green kids, but lack another established power forward since Tredders went (Daniel Stewart not quite there, Westoff OK but a lone hand, Butcher too far off), and only have one established ruck.

Stanley would be an option, I was thinking more of a Butcher trade. He is a South Aussie, but they don't always want to come back. :wink:
He can always sleep on it :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

Butcher even know he isn't as established as Trengrove would have similar currency. I'd take either!

There will be a few PA players looking for new homes. Ebert cannot get a game either can Salapek (sp?) and then theres Motlop (not that anyone would bother with him). I would have taken Salopek (saints supporter as a kid) a few years back but not sure how he;s travelling these days. I remember he use to look classy and use the ball well. Theres a start.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Yeah I know. I read the Herald Sun article wrong and thats what I was quoting. They said he's a power big man. Almost got it right. I'm pretty sure he was recruited as a forward though.
Herald Scum? Cos they can never get the facts right :lol:

Was recruited as a defender that will grow into becoming their ruckman from what i know. The type of ruckman that you need these days that can play another position. Definantly worth a crack though.. Maybe we could get Salopek in a trade aswell. Couple draft picks and a fringe player for the two :D

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
degruch wrote:

Butcher even know he isn't as established as Trengrove would have similar currency. I'd take either!

There will be a few PA players looking for new homes. Ebert cannot get a game either can Salapek (sp?) and then theres Motlop (not that anyone would bother with him). I would have taken Salopek (saints supporter as a kid) a few years back but not sure how he;s travelling these days. I remember he use to look classy and use the ball well. Theres a start.
Butcher was taken with pick 8 i think couple years ago and was always a work in progress. Chronic back injuries saw him slip down the draft, otherwise would have been top 3 or 4.. Would be a big risk, would probably rather take a punt on Scott Gumbleton who has at least gotten out on the park and showed his stuff....

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Was recruited as a defender that will grow into becoming their ruckman from what i know. The type of ruckman that you need these days that can play another position. Definantly worth a crack though.. Maybe we could get Salopek in a trade aswell. Couple draft picks and a fringe player for the two :D
I would be extremely optimistic for our future to have Big Mac and Trengrove in tandem in the ruck. Both are at about the same level and only 20 or 21 years old.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Also, traditionally, you wait til you can't make the finals before you decide to tank.
I think melbourne, carlton and west coast had pretty entrenched and long term tank strategis.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

I would be extremely optimistic for our future to have Big Mac and Trengrove in tandem in the ruck. Both are at about the same level and only 20 or 21 years old.
Would be right up there with the best combos in the league in 2-3 years..