How about you just worry about getting a kick mate...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

How about you just worry about getting a kick mate...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1ghp6.html

St Kilda's Zac Dawson responded to the official confirmation - and the prospect that Robert Walls would not be seen on our screens from 2012 - by lambasting the expert commentator.
"Channel ten not showing the footy next year!.. Finally robert 'sourpuss' walls is out of a job. Thank God!.. karma is a b*tch buddy," Dawson posted.

I agree with the response by Channel 10 - see title

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Silly by Dawson.

I realise Walls has been relentless in his pushing for Zac to get the sack from his job, but show you're the bigger person IMO.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 1acjd.html

Ross won't be happy about this, can feel it in my bones, probably thought we'd have at least one rare week of not making the headlines.

If you drink and tweet....well you know the rest.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

oh no.

do our players have to comment on everything??? :oops:

saintjake
Club Player

Great call by 10!
Although tonight on the FS d.Barrett said that Dawson hasnt signed a new contract and there are "plenty of suitors out there"

Jakes
Club Player

Can't believe the lack of support for Zac.

Anyone who read Walls' article in Feb after the NZ incident where he publicly ripped into Zac for his actions on the NZ trip (when it turned out that all he did was have a glass of red with dinner - minor infringement but still against the rules - compared to Steven, Stanley and Cahill who were stupid enough to deliberately mix prescription drugs with alcohol) could hardly blame Zac for his reaction. If Walls had done his homework like a journalist should, he would have known this before writing the article, and maybe the blame in the article would have gone towards the appropriate sources and not solely directed at Zac.

I for one found his tweet funny (although agreed that Channel 10's response also humorous).

Maybe in this world of social media, we should give political correctness a bit of a break, and appreciate this is one way where professional athletes aren't all robots and do have personalities!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Great news about the prospect of no Walls as a television commentator. Hopefully the likes of Anthony Hudson and Luke Darcy will join him in commentator limbo.

RL may have to put a ban in his players tweeting if they get sucked into this kind of crap.

Whilst I agree with Zac, I feel it's best players don't respond verbally to the critics. The best way tp silence them is channeling that energy into the job they have on the footy field.

I think a lengthy spell of St.Kilda players to be seen and not heard may be the best PR for the club right now :(

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saintersss
Club Player

Jakes wrote:Can't believe the lack of support for Zac.

Anyone who read Walls' article in Feb after the NZ incident where he publicly ripped into Zac for his actions on the NZ trip (when it turned out that all he did was have a glass of red with dinner - minor infringement but still against the rules - compared to Steven, Stanley and Cahill who were stupid enough to deliberately mix prescription drugs with alcohol) could hardly blame Zac for his reaction. If Walls had done his homework like a journalist should, he would have known this before writing the article, and maybe the blame in the article would have gone towards the appropriate sources and not solely directed at Zac.

I for one found his tweet funny (although agreed that Channel 10's response also humorous).

Maybe in this world of social media, we should give political correctness a bit of a break, and appreciate this is one way where professional athletes aren't all robots and do have personalities!
It doesn't matter what Wallsy has said or done. Do the Saints really need more media attention? Dawson should just focus on his actions rather than words and let the others do the talking, all this tweet does is create unneccassary negative media attention towards the Saints.

It really has nothing to do with political correctness. If Dawson is going to take to heart everything everyone says about him, he is going to majorly struggle. In saying this I understand he does copt a lot of unwarranted critism, however this is not the way to respond. It just smacks of immaturity.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Great comment by Zac but it was bloody stupid of him...

Expect a lot of snarly comments being made by the Ch. 10 team for the remainder of the season.

If neutral/ casual fans are watching one of our games and they constantly keep being reminded how St Kilda's game style is unattractive that could significantly affect our membership numbers... Walls is an absolute moron, everyone in footy knows that, I don't think that means Zac had to go and make an enemy our of the entire Ch. 10 staff.

Whilst we're on the topic of Walls, did anyone hear his little rant about Roughead's injury being the reason why you don't play your thoroughbreds in the ruck? until he saw the replay of Roughie injuring himself practically running on the spot... didn't stop him from going on, thought he'd rather run the argument into the ground before realising he was wrong.

Lastly, I hope this comment indicates that Zac is in a better place now than he was in the pre-season, it's tone seems to be more jovial rather than bitter. He has had a lot of unwarranted negative attention throughout his career and what he has managed to accomplish is a testament to his character. If anybody here remembers the 10 minute rant Derryn 'how long now?' Hinch made to open one of his shows a few months they would know what I'm talking about.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Judging by these posts I must be in the minority.

I do agree that players in general need to be careful when using social media.

And I do agree that the last thig St Kilda needs is another "scandal".

But is what Zac tweeted really so bad? Is Robert Walls, or any of his media mates, so protected that no one is allowed to hit back at them?

I'm happy to call Zac out in regards to his on field performances, where warranted. I'm also prepared to criticise him for his role in the NZ fiasco. But I'm prepared to cut him a break here. 

Sure these comments are in the public domain but the audience is far less than Walls' TV viewers and newspaper readers.

If the Saints hadn't been involved in all that other crap this latest issue wouldn't have even rated a mention IMO.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Walls is a malicious idiot who we should never have allowed to come anywhere near our club.

He has run a bit of a campaign against Zac. I hope there isn't a disgraceful hidden agenda (some on here would know what I'm referring to), but nothing would surprise me when it comes to Walls.

I'd like to see him stuck in a lift with Zac and Matt Maguire. Perhaps they could combine to demonstrate how an unexpected punch to the stomach might feel.

If I never hear his or Tim Lane's voice on TV again after 2011, it will be too soon.

Go Zac!! Don't apologise and don't back down.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Blame f****** Twitter!!!!

Ridiculous in this day and age every comment is jumped on and yet coaches and players cannot bag umpires!!!????

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

FFS can't a player have an opinion.

Walls does. Regularly.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I realise Walls has been relentless in his pushing for Zac to get the sack from his job, but show you're the bigger person IMO.
Agree, but is that true of Walls? Has he been running an agenda on Zac?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Walls is a Fwit.

Actions speak louder than words though... as the OP says

He better back it up.

Q5
Club Player

I thought Zac's tweet was hilarious and agreed with him! I love that the players are on twitter - it makes them human and gives you more of an idea of their real personalities, rather than the robots 'big brother' (the AFL) seems to want to turn them into!!! We all complain about not hearing enough from the club - now that we have the ability to 'hear' from players, we're still not happy. Make up your minds!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

bored of Walls and his smug comments
however; Zac's comments are indicative that stuff over summer remains with players

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Walls is a malicious idiot who we should never have allowed to come anywhere near our club.

He has run a bit of a campaign against Zac. I hope there isn't a disgraceful hidden agenda (some on here would know what I'm referring to), but nothing would surprise me when it comes to Walls.

I'd like to see him stuck in a lift with Zac and Matt Maguire. Perhaps they could combine to demonstrate how an unexpected punch to the stomach might feel.

If I never hear his or Tim Lane's voice on TV again after 2011, it will be too soon.

Go Zac!! Don't apologise and don't back down.
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

And he is THE most uninformative special comments man in the game. He provides absolutely no insight into the passage of play that led to the goal. He simply covers what the commentator already did.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:I realise Walls has been relentless in his pushing for Zac to get the sack from his job, but show you're the bigger person IMO.
Agree, but is that true of Walls? Has he been running an agenda on Zac?
Well yes, he isn't crazy about him, and probably takes it to a personal level.

However Walls is still very much a senior writer for the Age, a voice on the radio, and will probably get a job with channel 7 given they appreciate his type of commentator.

Why paint yourself with a target?

All that aside, I think it's a little selfish of Zac in the sense that this was probably the only week where Saints were guaranteed no negative headlines, and boom....he can't help himself.

Have a thought for the club that has been PR'ing itself crazy for months now, and all the calls they have probably received this morning asking for dial a quotes.

It's actually not fair.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We've just spent about 10 pages arguing over the concept that having 16 home games in a row doesn't give you an advantage when contesting a premiership.

Yet people are worried about this having an impact on our chances?

Seriously. Come on.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Jakes wrote:Can't believe the lack of support for Zac.

Man, I gree.

Seriously, Walls is a shocking bloke who savages players on a personal level.
That's fine, as many on here do to.

But, if you do that then surely you're fair game to cop some back.

Dane Swan rags out on the drug testers and taunts them.
Melbourne and Richmond players bag the MRP and the AFL.
Dawson pots Robert Walls.

Put them in order in your give-a-s***-o-meter and see that the results are.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

You've all missed the most devestating part of the article;

No more Andy Maher :wink: :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Behind Play
Club Player

Aker's article early this week pointed out how keen the Bear's players were to see the back of him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:You've all missed the most devestating part of the article;

No more Andy Maher :wink: :roll: :lol: :wink: !!
Sweet God ain't that a freakin blessing...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Well said Zac.

Nobody likes Walls. He won't be missed.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

zac just expressed what the bulk of us were thinking.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.