If we beat North we are still in the hunt for the top 8, BUT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Nick

If we beat North we are still in the hunt for the top 8, BUT

If we lose, we are done!!! If that's the case then Lyon should immediately tell Baker, Blake, Kosi and Gardiner that they are no longer required. Their spots will be taken by Walsh, Winmar, Stanley and Lynch. I know this is harsh but AFL is a very harsh business.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Winmar and Stanley can barely get a kick for Sandy why should they play seniors? You don't get a game just because you are young.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You like Reece huh.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:You like Reece huh.
:D reez

St Nick

Who is Reece and Reez? It's Rhys!!!!!!!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure about Gardiner. After all, his last game was the drawn Grand Final. We have'nt done really well without him have we? Maybe we should talk him into going around again next season. We are not exactly over endowed with ruckmen at the moment.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

It's an interesting topic to think about... Honestly, I'm actually not too sure why we are still so determined to be playing finals football in 2011. Granted, playing football is all about playing finals, but what's the point if we are only going to get bundled out in the first week or two.

By no means am I suggesting we tank, but I'd be much happier seeing Lyon try a few new tricks in the second half of the season. Try players in new positions, trust some of the younger positions with big jobs (rather than playing them all in a forward pocket) - put them on the ball or a CHF - see what happens... See who shows something.

And I can totally understand the concept of 'showing some form' in the VFL first. It makes total sense. But I think sometimes the added excitement of playing a game at AFL level may inspire a bit more form. Take Matthew Lobbe yesterday for Port - he was named to play for West Adelaide RESERVES this week, but came into the lineup when Brogan was a late withdrawal. And the kid showed something - in fact, he was one of their better players, despite it looking likely that he was cooked at the end of the year. He went into the game and lead the Port ruck division - a massive task, but he did it.

I would LOVE to see Ross tell Stanley to do the same - 'Mate, we're counting on you to lead the ruck.' See what happens. Try Heyne, Smith and Ledger on the ball for the game. As our own example, look what's happened to Steven now that he is being trusted by the coach - in his current form he would be one of our first picked at the moment!

Anyway, I'm excited about what this year holds. I'm not holding hope for finals, but I would love to see some new talent come in, be given a chance and take it with both hands. Ross needs to trust the kids - and clearly that is his mantra, hence why the likes of Blake, McQ and Eddy have gotten so many games over the journey - they will always do as asked and give their all. Simple. But now, as so many other lists start to boast an amazing array of young talent, it's time we started to build ours, otherwise we will be dead in the water within the next two years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: If we beat North we are still in the hunt for the top 8,

St Nick wrote:If we lose, we are done!!! If that's the case then Lyon should immediately tell Baker, Blake, Kosi and Gardiner that they are no longer required. Their spots will be taken by Walsh, Winmar, Stanley and Lynch. I know this is harsh but AFL is a very harsh business.
we are still well in the hunt for top 8 if we win. 5th is totally out of range now.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am not sure about Gardiner. After all, his last game was the drawn Grand Final. We have'nt done really well without him have we? Maybe we should talk him into going around again next season. We are not exactly over endowed with ruckmen at the moment.
I'm not sure either.

It wasn't until he went off in the GF that we came good anyway.

He seems to be becoming one of these guys that magically becomes a better and better footballer the longer he isn't playing!

Rosco
Club Player

Re: If we beat North we are still in the hunt for the top 8,

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Nick wrote:If we lose, we are done!!! If that's the case then Lyon should immediately tell Baker, Blake, Kosi and Gardiner that they are no longer required. Their spots will be taken by Walsh, Winmar, Stanley and Lynch. I know this is harsh but AFL is a very harsh business.
we are still well in the hunt for top 8 if we win. 5th is totally out of range now.
if we lose we are definitely done, especially now that melb / north / rich are showing a little bit of form. we need to get past all of them to make it, essendon will fall out to make #8 available. freo is the only other team that might drop out but i don't think we can catch them.

so if we lose, i agree with the top quoted post above.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I am not sure about Gardiner. After all, his last game was the drawn Grand Final. We have'nt done really well without him have we? Maybe we should talk him into going around again next season. We are not exactly over endowed with ruckmen at the moment.
I'm not sure either.

It wasn't until he went off in the GF that we came good anyway.

He seems to be becoming one of these guys that magically becomes a better and better footballer the longer he isn't playing!
When he was good we were really good.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

jesus Stanley has show sweet FA so far. Not saying he won't be any good but he is yet to do enough to get a call up. I don't want spots in our team handed out willy-nilly.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Who gives a ****!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Who gives a ****!
Obviously not you, given you bothered signing in and contributing :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Just checking if there are any threads on Seaford I can rant in AND FWIW I could not give a **** as to whether we scrape into the finals or not.

Just play the kids and get games into them, not that it really matters, we are cactus anyway.

If anyone thinks for example that we will be able to match it with Gold Coast in three or four years then they are dreaming.

By continuing to play Gram, Baker, Blake, Kossie etc...etc... is counter productive unless the plan is to bottom out and get draft picks in two and three years time.

Time to give games to kids who can actually kick the ball and by that I mean the rest of the season not one or two weeks here and there like a revolving door.

I'd make about 8 changes right now!

AND when the **** is Walsh ever going to get a game, FAIR DINKUM just play the kid and give him some experience.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Just checking if there are any threads on Seaford I can rant in AND FWIW I could not give a **** as to whether we scrape into the finals or not.

Just play the kids and get games into them, not that it really matters, we are cactus anyway.

If anyone thinks for example that we will be able to match it with Gold Coast in three or four years then they are dreaming.

By continuing to play Gram, Baker, Blake, Kossie etc...etc... is counter productive unless the plan is to bottom out and get draft picks in two and three years time.

Time to give games to kids who can actually kick the ball and by that I mean the rest of the season not one or two weeks here and there like a revolving door.

I'd make about 8 changes right now!

AND when the **** is Walsh ever going to get a game, FAIR DINKUM just play the kid and give him some experience.
What/who would be your 8 changes?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: What/who would be your 8 changes?
1. Sack the Clown Westaway board for being a useless incompetent bunch of surrender monkeys who will go down in history as the dumbed down, ding bats, dolts and dunderheads of discombobulation that sold the club up Kananook creek without a paddle!

2. Leave Seaford and seek to relocate the club in St kilda or as close as possible, no further from the city than Sandringham.

3. Blake send off game, retire then play Simpkin instead for the rest of the year

4. Baker send off game, retire then play Lynch instead for the rest of the year

5. Kossie no more games, seek a fourth or fifth round pick for him, play Walsh instead for the rest of the year

6. Gram no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Ledger instead for the rest of the year

7. Clarke no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Smith instead for the rest of the year

8. Gamble no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Sipposs instead for the rest of the year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
1. Sack the Clown Westaway board for being a useless incompetent bunch of surrender monkeys who will go down in history as the dumbed down, ding bats, dolts and dunderheads of discombobulation that sold the club up Kananook creek without a paddle!

2. Leave Seaford and seek to relocate the club in St kilda or as close as possible, no further from the city than Sandringham.

3. Blake send off game, retire then play Simpkin instead for the rest of the year

5. Kossie no more games, seek a fourth or fifth round pick for him, play Walsh instead for the rest of the year

6. Gram no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Ledger instead for the rest of the year

7. Clarke no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Smith instead for the rest of the year

8. Gamble no more games, seek a third or fourth round pick for him, play Sipposs instead for the rest of the year
Very funny.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Very funny.
Sounds like we're going to be very busy come the third $ fourth rounds of the Draft  :wink:

philtee
Club Player

Worth noting that all the teams above us that we're battling against to finish 7th or 8th have played one more game than us.
They'll all have a bye before the end of the regular season and stand still on the ladder. We just have to make the most of our chances, and sneak past them.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What has Westaway done wrong, two shots at a premiership, club more profitable then it ever has been, the reason we moved to Seaford is because the council that controlled Moorabbin refused to play ball with the club to help re develop the ground and facilities there.
The club told them f off and moved.
Oh it's too far, well too bad, Essendon are leaving Windy Hill to relocate to Tullamarine, maybe their fans will say itr's too far for the players to travel.
By the way, ever considered that the next batch of recruits and players who come to the club will find places to live close to the ground, so the travel problems will be temporary.
You can get great food and coffee in the area.
Moving back towards the city would be a huge expense for the club seeing land prices and space are much more expensive.
In regards to the players you want to drop, I still want the club to try and win games, plus play the kids.
You pick your best side, and right now of all those players you mentioned, well, Blake is injured, and Gram is the one with the worse form.
Gamble, Kosi and Baker all performed better than the captain last time out, so should he go too.
Kosi got rubbed out for what use to be a perfectly executed tackle.
As good as the Gold Coast kids are, there is no guarantee they will mature into good players, or that they will all stay at the club, who knows some those playing there right now might do a Buckley, or a Judd and end up playing for us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

people are so harsh on stanley. i reckon he has been fine whenever i have seen him play. except that brisbane game where he had a shocker.

but sheesh he seems to suffer from the weight of expectations. hard for him to dominate when hes not playing due to a hamstring strain. not sure why everyone wants to boot him. he did an admirable job last year in roos absence and has had some decent games for sandy this year.

as i said - yes he was bad against the lions but hes bee ok mostly. give the bloke a chance.

by comparison - the nat man has had a lot of shockers in his brief career thus far.

St Nick

barks4eva wrote:

I agree with most of your above points except the following.....
I would not trade Gram. I would love St Kilda to relocate to St Kilda or nearby but unfortunately the horse has bolted on that one.

PS. I don't think any team would offer anything for Kosi

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:people are so harsh on stanley. i reckon he has been fine whenever i have seen him play. except that brisbane game where he had a shocker.

but sheesh he seems to suffer from the weight of expectations. hard for him to dominate when hes not playing due to a hamstring strain. not sure why everyone wants to boot him. he did an admirable job last year in roos absence and has had some decent games for sandy this year.

as i said - yes he was bad against the lions but hes bee ok mostly. give the bloke a chance.

by comparison - the nat man has had a lot of shockers in his brief career thus far.
Im on the opposite side Con...

I've seen nothing to suggest Stanley will make it, and am bemused by many who canstantly wish to see him given a go...

He is one player who seems to have all the attributes physically, but doesn't do anything on a footy field...

He has played around 10 games now, and not shown anything, whatsoever, in any one of them...

Has never got near a clear cut BOG in a Sandy game... The occasional highlight big mark or goal, but consistent output is non existent..

I have no hope to see him come on, which is a shame...

I have great faith that Sippos, Cripps, Ledger and Lynch will all be good-great Saints players, and hopefully Archer, Crocker and a few others will come on, but Stanley is showing nothing IMO....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

I knew you didn't have 8 team changes :)