can someone please explain two things

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

can someone please explain two things

How could ross have left when he is contracted?
When was the last time - if ever- a coach in vfl/afl has left a club for another club unilateraly while still under contract and with 12 months to go?
What would be the legal implications? Surely we could get an injunction to stop him coaching another club?

I'm not being a smart alec here. I would like an adult response please.
I can't quite understand what just went on. I don't know enough about contract law but what is the point of having contracts if one party can walk out.
I assume he could have asked to leave and we could have agreed to let him walk. But that was always unlikely.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 14 Sep 2011 1:27am, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Get out clause

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I believe it was a case where we would not have stood in his way if he wanted to leave.

Other than that he IS contracted and of course obligated under the conditions of that contract.

But if he doesnt want to be there....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Fidelis
Club Player

Re: can someone please explain two things

Con Gorozidis wrote: When was the last time - if ever- a coach in vfl/afl has left a club for another club unilateraly while still under contract and with 12 months to go?.
Malthouse?

Faithful Even Unto Death
Fidelis
Club Player

Wallace left the Bulldogs with 2 years of his contract still to run to allow him to take the Swans' job. In the end Roos thwarted that appointment.

Faithful Even Unto Death
supersaints
Club Player

According to Westaway the get out clause is for specific things like the club becoming insolvent and unable to pay him

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

My question is why the media was hammering the issue so strongly when a contract was still in place.

THAT to me was the weird bit.

Pretty disrespectful to the bloke to ASSUME he would break an agreement...

Lyon G and his mates at 9?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

thats actually 3 questions 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A club wants him so it gets in the news. We should be wrapped we have a coach someone wants. Idont have a problem with it at all.

paddy
Club Player

I think the case is that if a coach doesn't want to stay at a club, then he is no good to the club anyway... so just let him go.... for the good of the club...

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:My question is why the media was hammering the issue so strongly when a contract was still in place.

That was my problem too.

I don't mind if the media gets stuck into us over poor on filed or heaven forbid, even off field stuff - that's their job to sell papers. But it is typically a slow news day when one of the biggest stories of the day is a coach STAYING at the club they still have a contract with anyway.

Such a non-story.

Perplexing.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

From a media perspective, it's all about increasing sales and ratings. It's also about media "egos" breaking so-called "stories."

It's all juicy "speculation" which the media and we the public, thrive on - simply count the number of Sainsational posts over the past few days.

Forget the get-out clauses in the contract. If it is clear that a coach no longer has an interest in coaching and putting in the associated effort, then he is no use to the Club and the team - all credibility is lost. It would be untennable for a Club to insist on a coach completing his contract in those circumstances.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:How could ross have left when he is contracted?
When was the last time - if ever- a coach in vfl/afl has left a club for another club unilateraly while still under contract and with 12 months to go?
What would be the legal implications? Surely we could get an injunction to stop him coaching another club?

I'm not being a smart alec here. I would like an adult response please.
I can't quite understand what just went on. I don't know enough about contract law but what is the point of having contracts if one party can walk out.
I assume he could have asked to leave and we could have agreed to let him walk. But that was always unlikely.
Malthouse WCE
Thompson GEE
Wallace WB (maybe he was told to leave)

I'm sure there are others.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:How could ross have left when he is contracted?
i posted this on another thread, here it is again:

employment contracts are significantly more binding on the organisation than on the individual. especially in a case like this where it's a tough job which requires absolute 100% commitment.

what if lyon wanted to leave? his manager would go to nettlefold and say "sorry mate, his heart's not in it, obviously he can coach on but he'll only be working the bare minimum contracted hours and he'll be taking all his accrued leave."

the club couldn't have an uncommitted coach - that would be suicide - so we'd have to let him go and do what we could to find someone to take his place. regardless of contract status.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A club wants him so it gets in the news. We should be wrapped we have a coach someone wants. Idont have a problem with it at all.
Good point.
Maybe we aren't used to it?
Linton Street is usually a coaching graveyard

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:From a media perspective, it's all about increasing sales and ratings. It's also about media "egos" breaking so-called "stories."

It's all juicy "speculation" which the media and we the public, thrive on - simply count the number of Sainsational posts over the past few days.

Forget the get-out clauses in the contract. If it is clear that a coach no longer has an interest in coaching and putting in the associated effort, then he is no use to the Club and the team - all credibility is lost. It would be untennable for a Club to insist on a coach completing his contract in those circumstances.
Kim Hagdorn

Another opportunity awaits!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:My question is why the media was hammering the issue so strongly when a contract was still in place.

could be that, the media hate st kilda. there have been aaying for days now that stkilda is the worst club to deal with

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Pretty sure Michael Voss had signed with West Coast to be an assistant coach and then broke that deal to become head coach at Brisbane.

And anyway, if a coach says he wants to leave there is no point forcing him to stay.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

What baffles and frustrates me is how the media are painting Melbourne as such an appealing destination.

We're talking about a club who's President is on his last legs, has a CEO that had lost the respect of the players and was to be sacked prior to Bailey's sacking, is no financially better off than the Saints, and has Garry Lyon appointing the coach, only to leave straight away.

Sure, they have young talent but the administration is totally dysfunctional.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Pretty sure Michael Voss had signed with West Coast to be an assistant coach and then broke that deal to become head coach at Brisbane.
Voss had a specific clause stating "if a senior job became available elsewhere he would be released no question".

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I believe it was a case where we would not have stood in his way if he wanted to leave.

Other than that he IS contracted and of course obligated under the conditions of that contract.

But if he doesnt want to be there....
yep cool. thanks. read that in todays news. some text in the contract which could be used as a get out.
and yeah i mean at the end of the day noone wants a coach who doesnt want to be there. so fair enough. oh well. on with the business of list mgt which is going to be very hard i imagine.