Nathan Burke's take on the RL saga

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SirDog
Club Player

Nathan Burke's take on the RL saga

BURKE'S LAW – NATHAN BURKE

'Gentlemen, I have some news...'

As a St Kilda board member I can say – devoid of spin – we are excited at the chance to reinvigorate the club.

PRESIDENT Greg Westaway said it best: "The St Kilda Football Club is the sum of all its parts." Our 138 years make us one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world; we have 40,000 members and employ 100 staff. This is why the Saints will move forward and prosper without Ross Lyon as head coach. The words we spoke over the past fortnight about wanting Ross to stay at the club were not rhetoric to quell the media's appetite.

As a board and executive, we would've liked nothing more than for Ross to commit long term. Talk of Melbourne's million-dollar offer was untrue and played no part in our thought process.
We had been communicating each day and the word was the four-year unconditional deal on increased money was being very well received. There was even talk of a noon press conference on the Thursday to announce the deal was done.

As we know, the press conference didn't eventuate, however I wasn't worried and knew I would find out why at the monthly board meeting scheduled for the same day. The meeting, which kicks off at 5.30, began as usual with all directors present. The only anomaly was the absence of CEO Michael Nettlefold, who we were informed was otherwise engaged, so we started on the Finance report.

About 20 minutes into the meeting, Nettlefold entered the Board Room at Linen House Centre. "Gentlemen, I have some news ... Ross has just resigned." "Netters" is prone to a gag so my first thought was "Good one." It soon became apparent that he was deadly serious.

Understandably the first question was why? Unfortunately Michael couldn't enlighten us, as Ross, we were told, was not inclined to elaborate. A phone call to his manager Craig Kelly shed no light, as he was as taken aback as we were. Shortly when news broke in Western Australia that Mark Harvey had been axed and Ross Lyon was rumoured to be the successor, the picture became clearer.

Over the next two hours the whole scenario played out and it was apparent we had lost Ross to an offer he couldn't refuse. The agenda items were immediately discarded and once we had as many facts as we needed, we determined the best way to handle the issue. Obviously the supporters had to be informed so a draft letter to them was the first concern. Next a general press statement was word-smithed. I have to say the statement was not littered with spin and genuinely reflected the mood of the room. We wanted to thank Ross for the five years he had given the club. We wanted to recognise the successful – without being ultimately successful – era he presided over.

If the reported sums are correct then we congratulate him on making such a deal and pulling it all off so secretly. It's not very often such a deal can be configured in this world without leakage somewhere, so you have to take your hat off. It is disappointing that Ross saw our initial offer of a two-year extension as insulting; that certainly wasn't our intention. And as you would expect, when the request of a four-year $2.6 million unconditional contract was received, the board wanted to consider it carefully.

Yes, we took our time because we've all seen what financial mismanagement and lack of rigour can do to football clubs. It would be irresponsible of the board not to be prudent and if ultimately this is why Ross Lyon left the club, we take responsibility for that, but stand by our process. Then Ross changed his management team, which put another brake on things. Discussions were constructive with his new management team and ultimately a deal was struck that we all believed was going to secure Ross Lyon long term I rang and asked my wife to tape The Footy Show to watch when I eventually got home. I must say they did a good job of communicating the facts on a complicated story – except the part about appointing Robert Harvey as interim coach being amateurish. Any person with a small understanding of football knows that this time of the year is vital and to have a rudderless football department would be negligent in the extreme.

At Friday's press conference we managed to express our true sentiments. On the whole we were disappointed. Not in the way everything eventuated but because Ross was a good coach and we wanted him to coach the Saints. There was genuinely no bitterness or feeling of betrayal among the group. The good thing about being disappointed is that it subsides quickly.

While some suggested we were a bit too magnanimous, the fact is anger would've been manufactured and prevented us from moving forward.

I admit the players who we addressed at 9.30 in the morning wanted answers and facts, but once they were delivered directly and honestly, their mood reflected that of the board and executive. We left them to chat and were comforted by Jason Blake's summary: when Grant Thomas departed they were equally if not more concerned, yet within two years were playing in a Grand Final. It was a fantastic realisation by the players and I must say a very mature way of dealing with a difficult situation.

When Geelong lost its coach, its best player and No.1 assistant coach, many people expected the Cats to struggle. Truth be told, they would never have struggled as they are far too good an organisation to do anything other than prosper. Good organisations survive the departure of even the most gifted of individuals. I truly believe the St Kilda Football Club is now such an organisation. In my 25 years association with the Saints, I have never known it to have a more united and capable leadership team.

As I said earlier, we employ 100 people, many of whom are renowned at being the best in the football industry at what they do. For the first time ever, our team has completed four consecutive finals campaigns, and there is no reason why it shouldn't achieve a fifth. Finding a new coach is not a chore; in fact it is quite exciting. We have a chance to reinvigorate the club and whether that is with a tried coach or new blood we will have to wait and see. Luckily there is a quality field and starting late does not concern us. Our sights are firmly set on finding a man who will add to the Linen House Centre trophy cabinet.

Source: Inside Football - http://www.insidefootballonline.com/burke.html
Last edited by SirDog on Thu 22 Sep 2011 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Like sedative from the helmeted one.

Schillaci
Club Player

Sweet. I was disappointed at first too. Ross is just a coach. It's the club I love and Burkey's words are music to my ears, except I red them so let's go with eye candy instead.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

According to B4E, Burkey's lying.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
markp
Saintsational Legend

It is disappointing that Ross saw our initial offer of a two-year extension as insulting; that certainly wasn't our intention. And as you would expect, when the request of a four-year $2.6 million unconditional contract was received, the board wanted to consider it carefully.

Yes, we took our time...
Add to that likely personality clashes, and that is the the ball game right there.

Not unreasonable (IMO) for someone under financial stress and after 2 consecutive GF appearances to want some certainty about his future... fast forward to the freo offer, and 'why the hell not?' is the result, bad blood + a truly epic offer = walk.... IMO.

I would've though $650k a year over 4 years was a great deal for us.

But good to see board members and 'Netters' are so chummy.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

It is disappointing that Ross saw our initial offer of a two-year extension as insulting; that certainly wasn't our intention. And as you would expect, when the request of a four-year $2.6 million unconditional contract was received, the board wanted to consider it carefully.

Yes, we took our time because we've all seen what financial mismanagement and lack of rigour can do to football clubs. It would be irresponsible of the board not to be prudent and if ultimately this is why Ross Lyon left the club, we take responsibility for that, but stand by our process.
FAIR DINKUM UNBELIEVABLE!

What kind of circus are these clowns running?

A brilliant coach who had steered us to consecutive Grand Final appearances and was only asking for $650,000 a year for the next four years with those get out clauses removed to provide him with some level of security!

VERY, VERY reasonable and the board initially refused and preferred to hedge their bets!

Then appoint Pelchen giving him authority over Lyon!

AND then after six months initially only offer a two year extension with CONDITIONS ( GET OUT CLAUSES )

Is ANYONE really stupid enough to wonder why Ross Lyon felt insulted!

FAIR DINKUM

This is one massive screwball exercise in stupidity!

Absolute numbskulls!

Totally pissed off now!

kaos theory
Club Player

The bleating one won't like any words from our board.

How dare they say anything against the Messiah. The Greta One only speaks the truth, whereas the board, including Burke are evil low-life scum that cannot be trusted.

Quickly B4E, get some holy water!, Make the cross across your chest 3 times, and repeat after me:

"Oh lord Lyon, please forgive me for transgressing and reading the words of the Devil. I shall administer 40 lashes on my sinning body tonight as repentance to you oh great Lyon!"

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Yes, we took our time because we've all seen what financial mismanagement and lack of rigour can do to football clubs. It would be irresponsible of the board not to be prudent and if ultimately this is why Ross Lyon left the club, we take responsibility for that, but stand by our process.

A brilliant coach who had steered us to consecutive Grand Final appearances and was only asking for $650,000 a year for the next four years with those get out clauses removed to provide him with some level of security!

VERY, VERY reasonable and the board initially refused and preferred to hedge their bets!

AND then after six months initially only offer a two year extension with CONDITIONS ( GET OUT CLAUSES )

FAIR DINKUM

Absolute numbskulls!

Totally pissed off now!
are you retarded? just asking.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

Absolute numbskulls!

Totally pissed off now!
I wish you were my boss.

I wouldn't ever have to change, I could be stubborn as all get out, I could play favourites as long as I liked, my quite obvious inability to adapt at anything past snail's pace would be seen as a guarantee of future lucrative and unquestioning loyalty, and my incredible talent for making my closest workmates run for the hills would be seen as a massive plus.

Barks Corp. Employer No 1 as far as I'm concerned.

You are a fundamentalist, Barks. Pure and simple.

For someone who accuses others of wearing blinkers and/or being asleep at the wheel you sure do a fair bit of both.

Extremely funny.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

You've highlighted something that I believe to be a positive action by the board and has strengthened my faith in them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

barks isn't retarded.

Mebbe needs some meds, but not retarded!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:The bleating one won't like any words from our board.

How dare they say anything against the Messiah. The Greta One only speaks the truth, whereas the board, including Burke are evil low-life scum that cannot be trusted.

Quickly B4E, get some holy water!, Make the cross across your chest 3 times, and repeat after me:

"Oh lord Lyon, please forgive me for transgressing and reading the words of the Devil. I shall administer 40 lashes on my sinning body tonight as repentance to you oh great Lyon!"
Funny stuff!

What about you actually deal with the FACTS and what Burke said!!!!!!!!

Do you not find that concerning?

Ross Lyon wanted to coach us for $650,000 a year for four years with no get out clauses to provide him with some level of security!

This is very reasonable for a coach generally regarded as one of the best in the industry!

The club had a real opportunity for once in it's pathetic history to break the mould and back the guy IN and make him the ten year coach that Westaway made noises about!

But they refused!!!!!!!!!!

Then went one step further and appointed Pelchen giving him authority over Lyon

AND then six months later offer a TWO YEAR extension with conditions

before eventually realising they might lose him and up the offer to four years without conditions which Lyon originally sought

Too little too late and when a club who truly valued him offered almost FIVE MILLION MORE DOLLARS with an extra year

you do the maths!

According to most on here all of a sudden Lyon is now a lowlife, scum of the earth, lying prick for leaving St kilda!

KEEP IT REAL!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:FAIR DINKUM UNBELIEVABLE!

FAIR DINKUM

Absolute numbskulls!

Totally pissed off now!
^ In Ro$$ He Trusts :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 22 Sep 2011 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

Absolute numbskulls!

Totally pissed off now!
Only 1 clown here.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Lyon is now a lowlife, scum of the earth, lying prick for leaving St kilda!
Correct

:lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Mokester12

Barks4eva you do not know the facts of what happened. You are absolutely pathetic with your constant negative posts. You really have not a clue.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mokester12 wrote:Barks4eva you do not know the facts of what happened. You are absolutely pathetic with your constant negative posts. You really have not a clue.
Thanks for your input Rooey.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
lefty
Club Player

Wow Barks..

Heres the thing, its simple.

If Ross WANTED to stay for the club, for its supporters, for its players, he would of stayed.

He chose to take a lot more money, good for him, all the best, cya later imo.

In the end its his decision, no point trying to force someone to stay that doesn't have it in his heart.

Imo, its exciting, new coach, new ideas, more youth, more info from other clubs...

Sainterman
Club Player

You guys are really tough on B4E. Whilst he may over do his point I think he still makes a valid one, even if it is the opposite of what most think.

I for one do not like the article in the OP. Shows some glaring problems. $650K? Should have been a done deal in April regardless of where we sat on the ladder.

Anyway...onward and forward hey? Let's hope we have learned and if we ever find oursleves with one of the best coaches in the comp we actually show him some respect...otherwise we might end up where we are now again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:You guys are really tough on B4E. Whilst he may over do his point I think he still makes a valid one, even if it is the opposite of what most think.

I for one do not like the article in the OP. Shows some glaring problems. $650K? Should have been a done deal in April regardless of where we sat on the ladder.

Anyway...onward and forward hey? Let's hope we have learned and if we ever find oursleves with one of the best coaches in the comp we actually show him some respect...otherwise we might end up where we are now again.
that's the point, does the board jump at any deal offered or do the normal thing and have a think about it.
The best coach in the League ? I'm tipping a flag would help in determining that, either way big call.

Sainterman
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
Sainterman wrote:You guys are really tough on B4E. Whilst he may over do his point I think he still makes a valid one, even if it is the opposite of what most think.

that's the point, does the board jump at any deal offered or do the normal thing and have a think about it.
The best coach in the League ? I'm tipping a flag would help in determining that, either way big call.
Some decisions are no brainers. $650K a year for 4 years for RL after what he had demonstrated to me would have been an easy call to make. Would have provided a good deal financially speaking for the club, stability and shown confidence in the general direction. For it to take over 6 months from the offer, to only end in a panic on the day he left...well not great from where I sit.

If I were RL I'd be wondering how valued my contribution really was.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The only thing the board did wrong was give the snake an out clause...otherwise he's still be the coach for 2012 :roll:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
markp
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Some decisions are no brainers. $650K a year for 4 years for RL after what he had demonstrated to me would have been an easy call to make. Would have provided a good deal financially speaking for the club, stability and shown confidence in the general direction. For it to take over 6 months from the offer, to only end in a panic on the day he left...well not great from where I sit.

Absolutely.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The only thing the board did wrong was give the snake an out clause...otherwise he's still be the coach for 2012 :roll:
They put that there for themselves, and wanted it included in the initial 2 year offer... gee, that'd fill you with confidence, wouldn't it....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

If you were RL who would you barrack for now? lol a side issue :)
The club is struggling financially..another side issue that would have come into play, the boards fault? ok maybe
So more board bashing ? What is your remedy ?