Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

Why cant the stars take a pay cut? Players like Reiwodlt Goddard & Montagna had pretty ordinary years yet they will still receive rudiculous payments next year whilst their mates are being forced out to other clubs. Time for these so called stars to get together and collectively take pay cuts for the betterment of the club and their team mates!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

What did I miss? Who has gone to another club?

The Saints are coming!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No one at Geelong is on more than 550k pa and think what guys like Selwood, Bartel, Scarlett and Chapman could be on in the open market. We should take a leaf out of their book.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

WinnersOnly wrote:Why cant the stars take a pay cut?
A very good question.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

only people who earnt their pays this year got named all australian...

and i guess peake, dempster and even maybe macca

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

last time they took a pay cut was for Luke Ball, who after taking $600k and not producing, ditched the very same players so he could earn $500k a year.

Do you blame them? once bitten twice shy.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:No one at Geelong is on more than 550k pa and think what guys like Selwood, Bartel, Scarlett and Chapman could be on in the open market. We should take a leaf out of their book.
Ablett, Mumford.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintnick12
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:No one at Geelong is on more than 550k pa and think what guys like Selwood, Bartel, Scarlett and Chapman could be on in the open market. We should take a leaf out of their book.
When talking about the Scully deal a few weeks ago, Balme said on SEN he found the figures crazy and that their highest paid player was in the 600's. I found that a bit surprising at the time but I guess they have so many great players and have spread things more evenly. Easier to sell the stay for less motto when you have won three premierships, I guess. Dawes this week has apparently signed for substantially less then what he could have got elsewhere. We seem to have a very clear division...the stars, then the others. The stars are all on great deals to make sure they stay, and there does not seem to be enough money for the mid tier players who are mostly good players in their own right (Gram, Ray, Dawson etc). I guess both the boys and the club have decisions to make over the next few days.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Ablett, Mumford.
Both weren't on more than that while at the Cats.

Richter
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
Richter wrote:
Ablett, Mumford.
Both weren't on more than that while at the Cats.
That's my point. Not all their stars were prepared to take a pay cut. And the fact that their biggest star left, means that the rest didn't have to give up as much.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

It's a bit unfair to ask the players to take a pay cut I mean let's face it their careers are just flashes in the pan in the big picture... And taking a pay cut doesn't guarrentee anything except less pay ... Would you take less money in your job ? I knoW I wouldn't

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Why don't we sack the board??? 8-) 8-)

But seriously, i doubt stars would want to take pay cuts, it's more likely that we will off load a few fringe players and delist some under performers

Sainter for life.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They were willing to take a hit to fit Ben Cousins in for 2009....Riewoldt leading the chorus

elizabethr
Club Player

BigMart wrote:They were willing to take a hit to fit Ben Cousins in for 2009....Riewoldt leading the chorus
Well we all know how that one ended.

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So the players take a pay cut because they didnt have a good year. What happens if they over achieve. Do they get more? Our club signed them to that contract so it is up to the club to work it out. Taking pay cuts is just plain unfair to the players who sign a contract in good faith.

groupie1
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Why cant the stars take a pay cut? Players like Reiwodlt Goddard & Montagna had pretty ordinary years yet they will still receive rudiculous payments next year whilst their mates are being forced out to other clubs. Time for these so called stars to get together and collectively take pay cuts for the betterment of the club and their team mates!
Why don't you go get yourself a vacation-less job for 10 years being brutalised, abused, criticized, photographed, beaten up on the street, traded and sold, severely injured, and not being able to drink beer and eat chocolate or smoke cigarettes and then take a f****** pay cut.

For the love of God, mate.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

I apologise for that tone, but NFL players earn bucketloads, because they're physical and mental vegetables for life.
Soccer players earn annual salaries every week, because they are VERY f****** GOOD at what they do, have no job security, and earn a lot of money for their clubs.
Baseballers play 4 trillion games a year, and have to do 30-40 meters of running in between chewin' tobacco. But it is a lot of games.
And basketballers get paid millions because they're tall.
Tennis players: all that stress and emotional turmoil and the level of skill.. earn millions.
Golfers: Fat old retired, overprivileged men earning gazillions.

And the BEST AFL players earn less than a million dollars, the average ones earn 350K; yet theirs is a sport that is a/ extremely physically demanding and b/ the most popular in the world on a per capita in playing country basis.

AFL players earn s*** compared to what they should. Only sport where the administrators outstrip the players. Among the worst payed professional sportsmen in the world. You got a bloke with the ability to run around 3-4 blokes, evade a tackle or two, spin on a dime, break clear - all with ball in hand - then identify a team mate 50 meters away, moving, and kick it to him right in the slot (predicting where he'll be when the ball gets there) in a split second under heavy traffic and knowing you'll get smashes as soon as you dispose of it, if not before. And do that for 2 hours, a handful of times, every week. Gary Ablett. And he earns a million dollars in a 3 billion dollar industry. It really is absurd.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt should take a massive paycut because his knees are finished as evidence by his crap season this year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:You got a bloke with the ability to run around 3-4 blokes, evade a tackle or two, spin on a dime, break clear - all with ball in hand - then identify a team mate 50 meters away, moving, and kick it to him right in the slot (predicting where he'll be when the ball gets there) in a split second under heavy traffic and knowing you'll get smashes as soon as you dispose of it, if not before. And do that for 2 hours, a handful of times, every week.
+ endorsements
+ service agreements
+ he'll get truckload from the media post-career.
+ if he wants to coach, he'll earn another packet

Our game is played in ONE country of less than 25 million. Compare apples with apples - what country of a similar population pays its own players so well?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Why take a cut when you can get more at another club ?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Why take a cut when you can get more at another club ?
Well, that's the $$$ question isn't it.

What is it about some clubs that they manage to create a vibe of why would you go to another club when you can take a pay cut?

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Why take a cut when you can get more at another club ?
Well, that's the $$$ question isn't it.

What is it about some clubs that they manage to create a vibe of why would you go to another club when you can take a pay cut?
The ones that win premierships seem to find that an easier sell, like Geelong and pies this year in negotiating with their big stars. They believe it will be sustained period of success (though they didn't end up winning this year like they thought they would). Most of our top players could get more elsewhere. Nick is on big money, but was offered massive money by Gold Coast. Seems we have ended up with not enough money for the mid level players who have more value money wise after playing well in a successful (albeit not ultimately successful ) team.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Geelong = Cats
St Kilda = Fat Cats

Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Why cant the stars take a pay cut? Players like Reiwodlt Goddard & Montagna had pretty ordinary years yet they will still receive rudiculous payments next year whilst their mates are being forced out to other clubs. Time for these so called stars to get together and collectively take pay cuts for the betterment of the club and their team mates!
Reiwoldt should take the lead here as captain. I'm guessing he is on $800,000 per year. The way he has performed the last couple of years he should be on no more than $550,000 for 2012. That would fix our our salary cap problems straight away.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Parrot_Rosie wrote:
Reiwoldt should take the lead here as captain. I'm guessing he is on $800,000 per year. The way he has performed the last couple of years he should be on no more than $550,000 for 2012. That would fix our our salary cap problems straight away.
Don't you think his 8 or 9 prior fantastic years including 5 B & F's might have something to do with what he gets paid. And what do yoiu mean by the past COUPLE OF YEARS? He missed 12 or 13 weeks in 2010.

You're a clown Helen.