Why Buckley made coach of Filth and Harvey overlooked by us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Why Buckley made coach of Filth and Harvey overlooked by us

Firstly congrats to Scott Watters but why can't we appoint a favourite son like the Filth did with Buckley? We had the opportunity to have a legend of the club as coach and develop our own but we always seem to go for someone not connected to the Saints.

Maybe we could learn something from the Filth here. Buckley was not allowed to go elsewhere and a committment was made to him that he would be coach. Harvs is one of our greatest, if not the best in our club history with a CV second to none, a work ethic to match and a first class human being in every way. In my eyes and the old man's too he is more of a club legend to us than Buckley was to the Filth and we didn't even consider him to be good enough to make the final three in our quest to find a new coach.

I reckon club history and pride is built on these decisions and the Filth were never going to let the fairytale go with Buckley. We had our chance with a better legend and a chance to grow our club's pride and heritage. However, for some reason Harvs was not worthy to even be in contention.

Beekay
SS Life Member

..ffs

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Do you know that coaching is different to playing?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
twirlyhair
Club Player

Re: Why Buckley made coach of Filth and Harvey overlooked by

saintkid wrote:Firstly congrats to Scott Watters but why can't we appoint a favourite son like the Filth did with Buckley? We had the opportunity to have a legend of the club as coach and develop our own but we always seem to go for someone not connected to the Saints.

Maybe we could learn something from the Filth here. Buckley was not allowed to go elsewhere and a committment was made to him that he would be coach. Harvs is one of our greatest, if not the best in our club history with a CV second to none, a work ethic to match and a first class human
being in every way. In my eyes and the old man's too he is more of a club legend to us than Buckley was to the Filth and we didn't even consider him to be good enough to make the final three in our quest to find a new coach.

I reckon club history and pride is built on these decisions and the Filth were never going to let the fairytale go with Buckley. We had our chance with a better legend and a chance to grow our club's pride and heritage. However, for some reason Harvs was not worthy to even be in contention.
You get the best available. Navel gazing doesn't help anyone.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Harves was a great footballer but he did not last very long as captain. Maybe some can explain.
Great players are not necessarily great leaders, great tacticians, great media communicators and don't always make great coaches.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

1. Buckley decided he wanted to coach early days, Harvey only seems to have decided lately.

2. Buckley could turn out to be a dud.

3. Eddie & Collingwood are idiots.

4. FFS.

saintkid
Club Player

Harvey went to Carlton in 2009 as an assistant coach the year after he retired, spent 2 years there and had a year under Lyon this season. It wasn't a late decision.

The old man said to post this and I agree with him. Could have given him a chance, it's not as if Watters was highly sought after.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol at #4. ffs

fingers
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lol at #4. ffs

Legendary
Club Player

saintkid wrote: with a CV second to none
This is where you are incorrect.

Harvey has never coached in his own right before.
Harvey has never been involved with a premiership before.

If you are comparing him to Buckley you can certainly make the argument that his CV was similar.

But we weren't hiring Harvey or Buckley. We were hiring Harvey vs. Watters, Hinkley and Richardson.

Up against those guys, Harvey's CV simply doesn't stack up.

They have been in the system for years, coached successfully in their own right and been involved at successful clubs.

If the Saints made their decision based on club legend status, the board would have had to resign for negligence.

They made their decision based on best available, and that was the correct thing to do.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:Harvey went to Carlton in 2009 as an assistant coach the year after he retired, spent 2 years there and had a year under Lyon this season. It wasn't a late decision.

The old man said to post this and I agree with him. Could have given him a chance, it's not as if Watters was highly sought after.
Big difference between wanting to be an assistant coach, and therefore stay involved in the sport you love, and wanting to be a senior coach at AFL level.

Buckley never hid his ambition. Everytime Harvey was interviewed towards the end of his career he was very non committal. Even when he came down to Seaford I never read anything that suggested he was preparing to take over some day. And definitely not as early as 2012.

You've just got to pick the right person at the right time.

Our Board chose our coach with their heads.

Eddie was thinking with something else when he chose his :P

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Harves CV playing wise is without peer. Coaching wise he is an unknown quantity. I am very happy with Watters appointment and im sure its the best thing for the club in the long run

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

The old man said to post this and I agree with him. Could have given him a chance, it's not as if Watters was highly sought after.[/quote]

I think this is the first time Watters has indicated an interest in a senior roll , if I am not mistaken he did not apply for any of the other jobs. Also, he is very highly regarded by other senior coaches

like everyone else I think Harves is a club legend , but this is a bulls*** thread

I love this club
mohannair
Club Player

Great players are not always great coach.

goodie
Club Player

Because Eddie man-loves Buckley

loris
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Harves wasn't an Assistant Coach at Carlton for 2 years. Wasn't it only one?

I thought he went to Carlton the first year as their Development Coach and then took on an assistant role in his second year. Then he came back to us.

So he hasn't been an Assistant for as long as some are saying. I may be wrong!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think it is ironic that the Pies will have their third best assistant coaching them this way.

"Aristocracy" leads to bad outcomes .......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SirDog
Club Player

The assumption with this thread is that Buckley will be a stand out coach. I believe Eddie (via nepotism) has handed the coaching job to Buckley..and he has no particular credentials. Do you really expect St Kilda to take the same track and gamble with Harvey? Despite the criticisms of the panel to select a coach, at least it can be said that St Kilda has made a considered decision, unlike Collingwood who have just selected a golden boy of the club. If it comes off, great for them but I already know a few of the magpie army who find the whole Malthouse/Buckley coaching succession plan to be quite dubious.
Last edited by SirDog on Sun 16 Oct 2011 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just imagine if the pies didnt win a flag next year. It would be only one in the last 3 years.

Middo
Club Player

saintkid wrote:Harvey went to Carlton in 2009 as an assistant coach the year after he retired, spent 2 years there and had a year under Lyon this season. It wasn't a late decision.

Pity the old man did not have the balls to post it himself... :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saints66
Club Player

The old man said to post this and I agree with him.

Harvey put his hat in the ring, he got an interview, the selection Board listened to him, and then decided that there were better candidates.

This does not mean Harvey is no good, or would not make a good coach or was not a great Saints' player.

It just means that on this occasion, he was not considered, by the Selection Panel, to be the best candidate.

End of story

saintly
Saintsational Legend

yes it was, hHarvey himself stated that it was only during the interview process that he decided that would like to be head cvoach.

just because you are an assistant does not mean you want to be head coach.

another difference. Buckley was captain for god knows how many years. he looks like a leader and has acted like a leader.

harvey was only coach under thmas for one year i think under the rotation policy.

i would not want to give harvey a chance with only 3 years as an assistant.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Just imagine if the pies didnt win a flag next year. It would be only one in the last 3 years.
Actually, one in their last twenty-two years.

One more than us, however.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It may have been the factor that caused the Pies to miss out this year and it may be disruptive next year. Bucks might be the worst coach ever and the assistants all going will further upset their plans. No thanks, just for sentiment.

lendog heaven
Club Player

saintkid wrote:Firstly congrats to Scott Watters but why can't we appoint a favourite son like the Filth did with Buckley? We had the opportunity to have a legend of the club as coach and develop our own but we always seem to go for someone not connected to the Saints.

Maybe we could learn something from the Filth here. Buckley was not allowed to go elsewhere and a committment was made to him that he would be coach. Harvs is one of our greatest, if not the best in our club history with a CV second to none, a work ethic to match and a first class human being in every way. In my eyes and the old man's too he is more of a club legend to us than Buckley was to the Filth and we didn't even consider him to be good enough to make the final three in our quest to find a new coach.

Shirley you can't be serious?

Tramps like us.............