Saintbrat......... Sainter 'Who-done-it' coming to TV!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Saintbrat......... Sainter 'Who-done-it' coming to TV!

Bratty........... can't remember where I read it, 'twas over the last month.

ABCTV are currently filming a series of Peter Temple's "Jack Irish" novels, I know you have read his works....... another of your Ballarat locals eh?

For posters who haven't read Peter Temple's "Jack Irish" novels. Jack Irish is a Saint supporting private eye.

As crime writing pot boilers they are not a bad read. All set in Melbourne & Victoria.

Every so often Jack Irish describes going to watch the Saints (usually they have lost) and he and his drinking buddies at a Fitzroy pub do a post mortem of the game...... I'm sure some of you would recall the games he talks about. I think so far there have been four novels in the series.

If anyone wants to start reading them, make sure you do it sequentially, as the first one explains how he and his drinking budies took up following the Saints.

So Bratty it might be a series we will be watching on telly next year.

I hope they don't take poetic licence with the scripting and make him a bloody pies supporter as most of the crime takes place in the filth's neck of the woods!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the referance that always struck me was how he would put Saints players names to characeters-
Like Mrs Gerhig the Housekeeper.
and I think Stewie was mentioned a few times.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
loris
Saintsational Legend

What amazes me about Peter Temple........... it's hard to pick him as a South African, who has only lived in Aus for maybe 10-15 years.

He has such an intimate knowledge of Melbourne streets and creates an atmospheric portrayal of the inner suburbs.
Also his empathy with the feelings that Swans and Fitzroy footy supporters went through when their teams were re-located interstate.

It's hard to believe that Temple's a Saffa and not aborn and bred melbourneite.

Q5
Club Player

loris wrote:What amazes me about Peter Temple........... it's hard to pick him as a South African, who has only lived in Aus for maybe 10-15 years.

He has such an intimate knowledge of Melbourne streets and creates an atmospheric portrayal of the inner suburbs.
Also his empathy with the feelings that Swans and Fitzroy footy supporters went through when their teams were re-located interstate.

I work for local government and at a citizenship ceremony recently the mayor commented on how lucky the new Australians were as they get to choose to live here. Most of those born here have no idea of how good we have it and take it for granted. I like hearing of people embracing their new home - it all adds to the colourful fabric of this wonderful country!

PS. Might just have to check out the books too! :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://if.com.au/2011/10/31/article/And ... FZRRU.html

so several productions in the plans by the sound of it.
The Jack Irish telemovies, starring Guy Pearce as the title character, are currently in production in Melbourne.
Jumping on with Jack
The ABC has confirmed the cast of the two Jack Irish telemovies, based on the thriller novels by Peter Temple. Joining Guy Pearce, who plays private detective Jack Irish, are Aaron Pedersen, Marta Dusseldorp, Don Hany, Diana Glenn, Colin Friels, Shane Jacobson, Martin Sacks, Roy Billing, Lachy Hulme, Steve Bisley and Emma Booth. The telemovies will air on ABC1 next year.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... z1cjIIOqgc

I met Peter once- although he wouldn't know me- Local milkbar were thrilled he was a customer and I was around there one day and he came in and said he wanted my number plates- I offered a saints membership-
they said who he was after he left
He now writes semi regulalraly for the local paper-
he has written on a variety of subjects for papers and periodicals- including finance, collecting, coins, and as I said in the local paper on topical subjects.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
loris
Saintsational Legend

Q5 wrote:
loris wrote:What amazes me about Peter Temple........... it's hard to pick him as a South African, who has only lived in Aus for maybe 10-15 years.

I work for local government and at a citizenship ceremony recently the mayor commented on how lucky the new Australians were as they get to choose to live here. Most of those born here have no idea of how good we have it and take it for granted. I like hearing of people embracing their new home - it all adds to the colourful fabric of this wonderful country!

PS. Might just have to check out the books too! :D
Q5............. the "Jack Irish" series are real tounge in cheek, pot boiling crime who dun-its.

However he has written two fantastic crime thrillers that are more literary. The first was "The Broken Shore" and the sequal "Truth" won the 'Miles Franklin Award' for 2O10 (Ithink it was that year).

Don't know if he still does, but he was lecturing at RMIT a few years back.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://if.com.au/2011/10/31/article/And ... FZRRU.html

so several productions in the plans by the sound of it.
The Jack Irish telemovies, starring Guy Pearce as the title character, are currently in production in Melbourne.
Jumping on with Jack
The ABC has confirmed the cast of the two Jack Irish telemovies, based on the thriller novels by Peter Temple. Joining Guy Pearce, who plays private detective Jack Irish, are Aaron Pedersen, Marta Dusseldorp, Don Hany, Diana Glenn, Colin Friels, Shane Jacobson, Martin Sacks, Roy Billing, Lachy Hulme, Steve Bisley and Emma Booth. The telemovies will air on ABC1 next year.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... z1cjIIOqgc

I met Peter once- although he wouldn't know me- Local milkbar were thrilled he was a customer and I was around there one day and he came in and said he wanted my number plates- I offered a saints membership-
they said who he was after he left
He now writes semi regulalraly for the local paper-
he has written on a variety of subjects for papers and periodicals- including finance, collecting, coins, and as I said in the local paper on topical subjects.
Thanks for that info Bratty............. couldn't recall when & where I had heard or read the series was going into production for ABCTV. Looks a good cast eh?

As I said hope they don't take political licence and make Jack Irish a Collingwood supporter and not a Saint supporter.

Anyway it wouldn't read right if they did, 'cos Jack Irish is such a loser in life, and only us hopeless romantics who are used to losing support the Saints, dont we :(

philtee
Club Player

Haven't heard of the author before, but I hope the cases are of interest
to Sainters...
Episode 1 - Who stole the 1997 Grand Final?
Episode 2 - Who kidnapped Tommy Walsh?
Episode 3 - Lyon gets a visit from the Fraud Squad.
etc etc.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

philtee wrote:Haven't heard of the author before, but I hope the cases are of interest
to Sainters...
Episode 1 - Who stole the 1997 Grand Final?
Episode 2 - Who kidnapped Tommy Walsh?
Episode 3 - Lyon gets a visit from the Fraud Squad.
etc etc.
Episode 4 - Stock loses a furphy - Lyon gets a visit from the ATO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: