Draft Strategy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Draft Strategy

Interesting to reflect on a couple of comments by Emma Quayle:

“This isn't an ideal draft to be heavily invested in - it's a GWS-diluted poolâ€

summertime and the living is easy ........
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

There should actually be a couple of decent talls still around at out first pick. I'd say that if any are there we should grab one. If not, then go best available. My hope is that we get a Forward and defender with 1st two picks. Mid with 3rd, then maybe Downie (ruckman) with 4th. Then best available from then on, including a ready-made ruck and defender (although there is also rookie draft for that). However, I would be happy for us to deviate from this if a really good mid slid (i.e. Kavanaugh, Docherty, Greene, Markworth with 1st pick - all a chance of sliding - and Grigg with 2nd).

There are still a few talls worthy of 1st/2nd round selection which we will have to choose from:

Patton (Fwd) - wont be available
Tomlinson (Fwd/Back) - Wont be available
Paine (fwd) - might be available
Elton (Fwd/Ruck) - likely to be available
McInnes (Fwd) - may be available
Haynes (Fwd/Mid) - Unlikely to be available
Talia (Back) - Likely to be available
Schade (Back) - Maybe around at 2nd pick
Bosely (Back) - will be around with 1st pick, not with 2nd.
Kersten (Fwd) - likely to be available 1st pick, possibly 2nd pick
Dobosz (Fwd) - likely to be around for 2nd or 3rd pick
Frost (Back) - might be available at 2nd pick

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I also believe we ought to go tall with our first pick, if there is someone we think has real quality available (who we don't believe will be available with our next pick) unless someone shorter, that we rated much higher, somehow slips to 25. A long term prospect for full back would be very, very handy, so someone like Boseley could be ideal. They expect he won't be around for our second pick. Otherwise, if we believe we'll get someone else, who will genuinely be good enough to play that role for years, then someone for FF long term would be equally welcome.
A lot will depend on whether we really expect Rhys to make it. If so, we won't have any great need to get a Todd Elton (ruck/forward) with an early pick, as the HS predicted we would in today's paper.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
derby Street
Club Player

Re: Draft Strategy

[quote="Gershwin"]Interesting to reflect on a couple of comments by Emma Quayle:

“This isn't an ideal draft to be heavily invested in - it's a GWS-diluted poolâ€

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Strategy

[quote="Gershwin"]

“With a limited number of tall prospects you would put your house on making itâ€

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Remember too that Pelchen has already come out and defined "best available" as being exactly that, and not just best available kid.

Our trade for Saad and Milera is already evidence of that policy in action.

However I do expect our first pick or three to be kids.

i fully expect to see some surprises on Draft day....all except The Blake that is.

It will be interesting to see if they go for Dowler in the main draft or in the rookie draft.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After taking Milera and Saad, Saints would be foolish to take a small with our first pick. We have lost Lynch and Walsh, Gardiner retired, no smalls at all have left that will have an impact, and we have the three smalls we picked up last year. We need to pick up two ruckmen this year, and another next year.

sax
Club Player

I would love us to get Todd Elton with our first pick!
He was touted as a top 10 last year, but has slipped because of injury.
Would be a very good get!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Sobraz
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote: We need to pick up two ruckmen this year, and another next year.
2 ruckmen this year??... So we'll have 5 (including Kosi as this is his best position) going into the 2012 season.. Kosi plays on, 6 going into 2013...

Excessive I'd imagine, considering a team only really needs one legit ruckman these days with the sub and the rotations these days..

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
borderbarry wrote: We need to pick up two ruckmen this year, and another next year.
2 ruckmen this year??... So we'll have 5 (including Kosi as this is his best position) going into the 2012 season.. Kosi plays on, 6 going into 2013...

Excessive I'd imagine, considering a team only really needs one legit ruckman these days with the sub and the rotations these days..
And considering there are only a few decen rucks in this draft! IMO, one with a second round pick (ideally Downie) and then one in the rookie draft... Perhaps Ben Brown who can also play forward... Or go a mature player like Currie. Only need one or two more rucks developing- this is the norm across the league.

Saints94
SS Life Member

sax wrote:I would love us to get Todd Elton with our first pick!
He was touted as a top 10 last year, but has slipped because of injury.
Would be a very good get!
+1

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

thirty seven - Interesting with your list of talls a few posts above, notice you left out Jordan Lockyer, I would consider taking him at 25 or 35 if available.... :shock:

The other tall I heard they have some interest in is Haynes.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Saints94
SS Life Member

MCG-Unit wrote:^^^

Interesting with your list of talls a few posts above - notice you left out Jordan Lockyer, I would consider taking him at 25 or 35 if available.... :shock:

Haynes wont make it to 25, we need to look out Paine, Bossely or Elton, i would love to take Grigg with our first pick.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We would need to look at a talls....no doubt....remember drafting is NOT about needs for next year.....but the next ten years

Gardiner (gone), Dawson (gone), Blake 31, Riewoldt 29, Kosi 29, Fisher 29.....basically our spine in three years must be replaced

Which is why Lynch and Walsh was more of a loss than you think....and the overlook of Darling even more glaring

Bolger, Elton, Bosely, Paine - around pick 25...would be nice

Frost, Dobosz....at pick 35would be nice also

but we also need to get a couple of mids in as always.....

Blake will be redrafted.....if Thursfield is available he will be a shoe in....to follow in the footsteps of of Patto and Polo

Dowler will be rookied most likely

Gershwin
Club Player

Agree we need talls but we shouldn't panic and take 'poor' talls in a 'poor' draft.
If the 'shorts' are of a good quality take them and look to talls next year and engineer a couple of top 10 picks.
This years talls will have no impact next year so we should hold on.
Except for a back-up Ruckmam. No excuses if we don't take someone who could step in and at least be competitive if McElroy goes down.
Don't talk about Kossie - a reasonable season up forward is all I can hope for from him.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Saints94 wrote:

Interesting with your list of talls a few posts above - notice you left out Jordan Lockyer, I would consider taking him at 25 or 35 if available.... :shock:

Haynes wont make it to 25, we need to look out Paine, Bossely or Elton, i would love to take Grigg with our first pick.
I didn't say Haynes would necessarily make it to DP 25 - just that I heard they had some interest in him, and maybe Tom Sundberg.
They definitely have looked at Alex Woodward.
Yes Grigg would be a good pick-up - they need more in-and-under mids.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:
Saints94 wrote:

I didn't say Haynes would necessarily make it to DP 25 - just that I heard they had some interest in him, and maybe Tom Sundberg.
I did mention Haynes above, but agree, he does look quite good. Possibly more of a flanker than a true KPP, but I reckon that if he slipped to #25, you'd have to take him. That said, I'm pretty confident he will be off to GWS.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Saints94 wrote:

I did mention Haynes above, but agree, he does look quite good. Possibly more of a flanker than a true KPP, but I reckon that if he slipped to #25, you'd have to take him. That said, I'm pretty confident he will be off to GWS.
Yes I noticed you included Haynes - I just posted to say I'd heard they had some interest in him. Also Dand Stingrays B&F winner and Saint supporter :shock:
Still reckon if Lockyer was there at DP 25 I would take him...

2 x inside mids, 2 x KP talls 1 back up ruck

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:We would need to look at a talls....no doubt....remember drafting is NOT about needs for next year.....but the next ten years

Gardiner (gone), Dawson (gone), Blake 31, Riewoldt 29, Kosi 29, Fisher 29.....basically our spine in three years must be replaced

Which is why Lynch and Walsh was more of a loss than you think....and the overlook of Darling even more glaring
Totally agree. Considering the taller ones generally take longer to develop, it's pretty imperative that we get one or two ASAP, if they really are likely to be capable of playing 150+ games of AFL. I don't want us to use up valuable highish picks on them just for the sake of it, though.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

I think we will have players in mind but, as we all know the strategy can change on draft day.

The problem now is that Geelong have 2 picks before our 2nd round, and it has been said that they are also looking for talls.

I doubt that Elton will be around at our pick.

Am also pretty keen for us to take Dobosz, is a goal kicking machine

Reminds me of Sippos mixed with Jack Riewoldt.

goodie
Club Player

With our first four picks I'm hoping for some combination of Paine/Dobosz/Elton, Bolger/Downie, Boseley/Frost/Talia and Grigg/Waldhunter/Sheridan with Horsley and Blake as late additions

saintsfreak
Club Player

goodie wrote:With our first four picks I'm hoping for some combination of Paine/Dobosz/Elton, Bolger/Downie, Boseley/Frost/Talia and Grigg/Waldhunter/Sheridan with Horsley and Blake as late additions
Pretty much this.

The Freak
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

goodie wrote:With our first four picks I'm hoping for some combination of Paine/Dobosz/Elton, Bolger/Downie, Boseley/Frost/Talia and Grigg/Waldhunter/Sheridan with Horsley and Blake as late additions
Yeah looks really good! Add Schade to your list of defenders too - a bit wiry, but tall, competitive and a fantastic kick. Could still be there with 2nd pick too!

Reckon we could go:

25: Paine/Elton/Haynes
35: Talia/Schade/Grigg/Bolger
37: Talia/Schade/Grigg/Bolger
42: Waldhunter/Sheridan/Downie
60: Downie/Horsley
72: Tom Lee/Nathan Blee
78: Blake

This could leave us with:
1 tall forward, 2 tall defenders (1 mature, 1 developing), 1 ruckman, 2 mids, 1 Blake

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

That all said, it is interesting how they see the futures of Archer, Stanley and Simpkin. Seems to be a fair bit of talk that Stanley will be groomed as a defender, perhaps putting a premium on Forwards over defenders. So taking an Elton/Paine with first pick, then perhaps Kersten or Dobosz a little later (more mid-sized forwards - 191cm), whilst still taking a defender at some point earlyish, depending on who is around.

We still have the rookie draft too for securing mature aged talent. Next year will be better for talls too, so it's not like we have to stockpile all future talls in this draft.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

I wouldn't be surprised if Pelchen took a mature age with pick 42

He did it last year at the hawks with Isaac Smith at pick 19

and later on with puopolo at 66

I guess it all comes down to what the talent is like when our picks come round

P.s - Anyone hoping for Grigg to be available at 35 is dreaming, he is not fast but has a killer left foot and can find the ball.......remind you if anyone (Nicky Dal)