When did you start following the Saints and why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

When did you start following the Saints and why

As i seem to have made an error and asked a question not relevent to the topic on another thread, and that would be a first for anyone, and it is the quiet time of year I thought I would pose this simple question.

I remember my first game being 1968 at Moorabbin playing the Swans. I was 6 years old at the time and we were getting beaten and I cried that much Dad had to take me home at Half time. Nothing much has changed. I had no choice but to follow the saints as my Dad did and we lived in East Bentleigh at the time. It didnt hurt that we were also pretty succesful back then as well.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

i was 8 my best friend was a saints fan and my mum was a saints fan so it seemed like a good choice.

Go Saints!

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Batnoe
Club Player

3rd generation saint...

Born into a Saints family where you do not dare barrack for anyone else

Carn Saints
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:3rd generation saint...

Born into a Saints family where you do not dare barrack for anyone else
Make up your mind are you 3rd generation saint or Batnoe.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

June 1970. I was initially a Carlton supporter (Yes I admit it, but I was only 8 at the time). My dad did some work for John McIntosh, who sent home an autograph with an encouraging note. The saints jumper with the number 9 soon followed.

At that time a lovely old lady who was neighbour and a Fitzroy supporter, took me to my first game at Moorabbin. I'll never forget the excitement and the buzz of the crowd. The saints won 11.14.80 to 8.11.59, and I was hooked for life. I don't regret for one moment switching from Carlton to St.Kilda, despite all the flags that cheating scum has won. I just hope I live long enough to see us win that damned elusive, second flag.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

My first live game was in round 10 2002 against the eagles.

We was struggling for wins all year but thankfully that day they came out and smashed the eagles what a great day.

I remember them kicking something like 10 straight goals before a behind was registered.

Will always remember the little boy with the eagles scarf saying "mum i'm not complaining but why aren't we winning"

Go Saints

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

My Dad took me to my first game when I was 7 in 1971. He was a mad saints supporter and indoctrinated me. I have been a member since 73. Both of my sons are now 3rd generation mad saints supporters, I started taking them when they were around 4 yo.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yesterday

around noonish

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Don't even remember why, as far back as I can recall, maybe age 5 - it's always been the Saints :shock:
Not because of location, that's for sure.

They asked this question on the main board on BF a while back - went over 10 pages....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Don't even remember why, as far back as I can recall, maybe age 5 - it's always been the Saints :shock:

They asked this question on the main board on BF a while back - went over 10 pages....
Well

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Don't even remember why, as far back as I can recall, maybe age 5 - it's always been the Saints :shock:

Try

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

and

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

that

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

That wouldn't happen here P66 - that BF thread was for all teams' supporters - unless there was another major row between posters.

Well those few extra posts help get your post count up :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
jays
Club Player

because of my dad lol

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

It's my grandma's fault :D

Been a Saints for over 30 years. I can't remember my first game as I used to go to Moorabbin as a toddler.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Played A Grade Ammos in the 50's and received invite to train with the Saints in 1960 - followed the Dees at the time. Found the commitment too great and returned to the Ammos to do an acl half way through the season and end career. That was the start of my St.K supporting life - the girlfriend at the time lived in Queens Road so I would park at her place and wonder across to the Junction Oval, meet a few of the guys I trained with earlier in the year, have a few beers and watch the Sainters, then back to the girlfriend's for the Saturday night activities.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
DWOODROW
Club Player

2006 when David was drafted was when I actually started taking more of an interest in St Kilda but remembered watching AFL on the Telly when I was about 9 and started playing at 11. The old man always had football nuts over to watch Grandfinals.

My first live AFL game I watched was in Sydney ( Sydney vs Nth Melbourne) in 97. I was down there for the U17 QLD schoolboy team. We got a bit of a hiding but at least I got big pluggas autogragh and photo and then Paul Kelly signed right next to Plugga and got his head as well. Wonder how much it is worth.

Anyway I have to say I am full on St Kilda now. Think Dave will be as well as long as he is wanted.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Re: When did you start following the Saints and why

plugger66 wrote:As i seem to have made an error and asked a question not relevent to the topic on another thread, and that would be a first for anyone, and it is the quiet time of year I thought I would pose this simple question.

I remember my first game being 1968 at Moorabbin playing the Swans. I was 6 years old at the time and we were getting beaten and I cried that much Dad had to take me home at Half time. Nothing much has changed. I had no choice but to follow the saints as my Dad did and we lived in East Bentleigh at the time. It didnt hurt that we were also pretty succesful back then as well.
"Nothing much has changed" - still blubbing when the Saints lose, eh Plugger :roll: :roll:

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Well Plugger, you, White Winmar and myself are all the same vintage. (1962) My family came over to Cheltenham from Launceston in 1961. The Tassie contingent in the Saints attracted Dad, even thiogh he had barracked for City South in Tassie and so felt a loyalty to the Swans.

He settled in to follow the Saints and all us kids have followed suit. He took me to Moorabin on many occasions and I vividly remember coming home in tears from games that 'should have been ours'. :(

I think '71 was my first game, but it was '73 when my passion was really fired up. I worshipped the ground George Young walked on and wore 27 on my jumper for years. :D

We moved to Sydney in '77 but I have always followed the Saints passionately. I have been to one RL game in that time - my brother had a corporate box and we ate cheese and drank wine the whole time. Who cares who was playing. :roll:

Only AFL for me. Only Saints live if I'm to go to a game. 8-)

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
St Loxton
Club Player

Was late in the 70's, i was 6 and my mad saints supporter uncle took me to my first game, it was at Morabbin and the Saints were playing Fitzroy. Both my parents are pies supporters, Mum more than Dad.
I never liked the magpies, but had a thing for carlton ( i liked Ken Hunter, Peter Busustow and The flying doormat). But i hadnt commited to a team.
My uncle saw this and rushed me to Morabbin, we beat the lions and he bought me a scarf and a saints footy. I was utterly hooked. It was the mighty saints for me.
Then found out i lived on the Mornington Peninsula and in the StKilda recruitment zone (pre draft), and if i trained and played well one day could be playing for the red, white and black. Just made me love them more.
I never got to play for the Saints, moved to Qld when i was 15.
I did train with the Bris bears at carrara and was named an emergency for the ressies. Speared a pass with a wet ball and hit big Alex Ischenko in the groin, funny but scary.
Will love the Saints forever.

TD
Club Player

As long as i can remember. We lived in St kilda and we my family would make regular trips to the Junction Oval which wasnt far away. I remember standing on the beer cans to try and get a better look, probably around 1960. My much older brother got called up to play for Hawthorn but he knocked it back, he didnt want to play footy full time, too much of a lad i think. He admitted many years later that if it had of been the Saints he probably would have had a go.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: When did you start following the Saints and why

plugger66 wrote: I remember my first game being 1968 at Moorabbin playing the Pies. I was 5 years old at the time and I don't remember anything else about it. Nothing much has changed. I had no choice but to follow the saints as my Dad did although we lived in Fairfield at the time. It didnt hurt that we were also pretty succesful back then as well.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Beekay
SS Life Member

My Nan sent me paper cut outs of Saints players in the early 90s when I was a wee kid.

My dad was a Saints man, but he wasn't that interested in footy. A "just f@#king kick it" sorta bloke.

First game was down in Geelong in 99 I think. Garry Hocking snipered Harvey, Big Bad Bustling Barry turned it on and we came away with the win (i'm pretty sure).

First visit to the big smoke. I was a happy camper.