Kicking skills

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

Kicking skills

I've heard we've been focusing on foot skills much more than in seasons past.

Can anyone who's been at training say they've seen any improvements in the kicking skills of Gilbert, Gram and co.?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kicking skills

Gilbert and Gram no, but there has been a lot more emphasis on kicking in general, among other basic skills.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:I've heard we've been focusing on foot skills much more than in seasons past.

Can anyone who's been at training say they've seen any improvements in the kicking skills of Gilbert, Gram and co.?
I'm pretty sure the club has had Jason Danials down to sort the likes of Gramy and Gilbo out. Great to see some old greats back at the club.

SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:
StNoodles wrote:I've heard we've been focusing on foot skills much more than in seasons past.

I'm pretty sure the club has had Jason Danials down to sort the likes of Gramy and Gilbo out. Great to see some old greats back at the club.
JD had a smooth kicking style.........

hAyES
Club Player

Gram is actually a really good kick of the ball when he isn't trying to bomb it 80m. Gilbert's kicking is always going to be a question mark which is why I wouldn't mind seeing him go back to more of a defensive role and have other players worry about being that attacking HBF.

To answer the original question though I haven't seen any trainings so I can't comment, but I'd be surprised if kicking wasn't a major agenda in any teams offseason.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Players that make it to AFL and cant hit a target and still need to learn to Kick a football. Makes me laugh. Learn how to kick in Under 9's.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Players that make it to AFL and cant hit a target and still need to learn to Kick a football. Makes me laugh. Learn how to kick in Under 9's.
Amazing how that happens...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Didnt one of the players say theyd done three times the amount of skill work than last pre season?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Old Mate"]Didnt one of the players say theyd done three times the amount of skill work than last pre season?[/quote

We certainly have a few who needed it if this is true. :D

Judging from the video of the intra club match Jack Steven still has a loooong way to go.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
StNoodles
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Didnt one of the players say theyd done three times the amount of skill work than last pre season?
Yeah mate that's what I'd heard, guess we'll have to wait and see for the results.

Gilbert's the one I'm really interested in, think his poor kicking really affects his confidence, and he's a confidence player. An improvement in foot skills would see all facets of his game improve subsequently.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Didnt one of the players say theyd done three times the amount of skill work than last pre season?
I should jolly well hope so. We've got three times the number of coaches we had last pre-season and they're not being paid to look pretty.

Ross who?
Club Player

Some of the kicking skills at the intra club were very ordinary! The squad in general were very poor. Even Chips had one slip off the side of the boot and land 15 rows back.
(Note: It was a fairly gusty sort of wind on the day)

Blake Acres fan club VIP
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I thought John Bennett was coming in as a kicking coach a couple of years ago. I never heard any more about him after that announcement.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:Some of the kicking skills at the intra club were very ordinary! The squad in general were very poor. Even Chips had one slip off the side of the boot and land 15 rows back.
It was the first game of the year and an inta club match at that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Was a major weakness last year

The only effective way to fix it is to primarily drat players who can use the ball by foot

Ross who?
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Ross who? wrote:Some of the kicking skills at the intra club were very ordinary! The squad in general were very poor. Even Chips had one slip off the side of the boot and land 15 rows back.
It was the first game of the year and an inta club match at that.
I know they would be a bit rusty, however it was the same old culprits who were the main offenders. We will find out this week how they are traveling, and then have a little better idea of whether any have improved.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Was a major weakness last year

The only effective way to fix it is to primarily drat players who can use the ball by foot
I agree. You don't see that many players that markedly improve their kicking skills at this level. You can improve your skills slightly, but if you've got a bad technique by the time you're drafted then you're stuck with that technique for life.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Was a major weakness last year

Agreed which is why I was hoping Pelchens recruiting would come in handy.... Poor kicks by this late stage rarely drastically improve.

“Yeah….nah””
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

having to only manage a 25mt chip kick in the past, we started to get caught out last year in a big way.
It will take a vast amount of skills drills training to turn that around.
getting skilled players to begin with will fix the problem in the long term, but not next year.
but hopefully 3x the emphasis will see an improvement with the current crop
Last edited by sunsaint on Mon 20 Feb 2012 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:...Poor kicks by this late stage rarely drastically improve.
Correct. Which is why you need to churn them. Both Mark Thompson and Michael Malthouse did this with crowd popular players who got the ball a lot - and kicked it straight to the opposition. Barring the miracle kicking cure, as long as players like Sam Gilbert and Jack Steven are in the team, we will be nowhere. I much prefer a player who gets the ball infrequently but when he does, he uses it well. I would be nice to have a team full of ball winners who can kick, but it's not going to happen. Geelong showed last year that as long as the bottom six can kick, the ball winners will hand it to them often enough to win a flag.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Correct. Which is why you need to churn them. Both Mark Thompson and Michael Malthouse did this with crowd popular players who got the ball a lot - and kicked it straight to the opposition. Barring the miracle kicking cure, as long as players like Sam Gilbert and Jack Steven are in the team, we will be nowhere. I much prefer a player who gets the ball infrequently but when he does, he uses it well. I would be nice to have a team full of ball winners who can kick, but it's not going to happen. Geelong showed last year that as long as the bottom six can kick, the ball winners will hand it to them often enough to win a flag.

That is a funny post. I suppose you finally had to try and rescue your post about Jack being no good so you have now come up with this funny post. Every club has ordinary kicks in their side it is just we follow our players closer so we see their mistakes magnified. Ask a Pies or Geelong supporter if they have poor kicks in the seniors and they will have some like Jack. Sam is a different story as he is a poor kick but I still think getting the ball is more important than not getting it much but using it well. Reason is simple because if we have it they dont. And of course Sam will turn over a bit but he , in form, is much more than just a poor kick.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
Correct. Which is why you need to churn them. Both Mark Thompson and Michael Malthouse did this with crowd popular players who got the ball a lot - and kicked it straight to the opposition.
Evidence by the fact that Malthouse recruited Ball, who is not by any definition, a good kick... :roll:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:...Evidence by the fact that Malthouse recruited Ball, who is not by any definition, a good kick...
You are joking. He kicks both feet and accurately, albeit no longer 50 metres. He is precisely the type of "get" that got them a flag.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yes, but he wasn't "pleasing" to the messiah!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!