Big Rhys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Big Rhys

Was impressed with Rhys Stanley last night. He did'nt star, but generally gave a contest. At our tallest player, 202cm to McEvoy's 200cm, he needs time in the ruck to develop.

nw7
Club Player

Re: Big Rhys

I thought he was ok as well, I was saying to a guy at work yesterday that I wasnt sure if Stanley would make the grade. He showed some good signs. He would be very hard to stop as a lead up player with his height and speed.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

He contested really well in the forward half.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I have just watched the replay, thought he did ok. I think he will continue to improve with more game time and more preseason work.

I love this club
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

First two goals against Sydney.

First was the result of a tackle on Goodes. Free and Saad played on. Stanley was the tackler.

Second was a knock on in the contest to Milne. Stanley was the tapper.

More impressive first half than I thought!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Just saw some of the replay of the Sydney game and his lead from the goalsquare, at the end of the 2nd half, was a good one and Mac hit him up well. He then slotted the shot for goal with ease from the 50m line. His kick looked relatively effortless, yet cleared the line with ease and landed about 3-4 rows back over the fence. He can basically kick it 60m (which he also did a few minutes earlier) without looking like he's putting that much into the kick.
If he gets a bit more confidence up and raises his intensity, he could still make the grade, especially if we work out how to make the most of his obvious assets.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Rocket
Club Player

He is a ruckman, that can push forward. I think Watters will work this out very quickly watching the second game against Cats. Watch the way he pushes around the Geelong ruckman Stephenson at a few ruck contests. He has the strength and will get stronger. The forward part is bit.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game and was watching keenly, he is over his indecision from last year from last nights form. He was ready to punch the ball away from himself last year and looked like a little boy playing grown ups. He looks to me like he has made a monumental shift in attitude. Hope he is the break out bolter in 2012, well him and Cripps, ledger and crock. Oh and Simpkin and Armo and Steven and....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Alway does his best work preseason :D

Didn't really impress at the game but looked to have done much more when watching the replay.

Much needed to relieve Mac and Kosi in the ruck and go forward.

He has all the attributes. Big, very quick, nice kick.

We need to be patient with Stanley.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I was at the game and was watching keenly, he is over his indecision from last year from last nights form. He was ready to punch the ball away from himself last year and looked like a little boy playing grown ups. He looks to me like he has made a monumental shift in attitude. >>>>>>>>.
he almost looked calmer- Like he believed what he had a right to be out there,and could compelte the tasks asked.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would think that he will be a big chance to replace Kosi as he is a more rounded player....better below his knees can catch players to land tackles and his pace keeps him in the game.

Kosi is treacle slow and that means that he is a chink in us being able to apply forward pressure.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would think that he will be a big chance to replace Kosi as he is a more rounded player....better below his knees can catch players to land tackles and his pace keeps him in the game.

Kosi is treacle slow and that means that he is a chink in us being able to apply forward pressure.

Not a Kosi fan but at the moment he is miles ahead of what Stanley has delivered. He needs at least 2 good practice games over the normal time period before I would have him in our side. He is coming from a long way back. Had a terrible year last season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not that it means anything, but does anyone have his stats for his ruckwork last night?

Just curious who of the ruckman had how many hitouts, and if they were to advantage.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Not that it means anything, but does anyone have his stats for his ruckwork last night?

Just curious who of the ruckman had how many hitouts, and if they were to advantage.
Game One - saints
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/18551/Defau ... &tab=Stats

game 3- saints

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/18551/Defau ... &tab=Stats

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Massive positive for me. Yes we need to be patient and no expect him to set the world on fire just yet. But sheesh if we remember last year when he wasnt even going for the ball. So just awesome to see him up and fit and running around and getting his hands on it. People were giving up on him last year . At least hes competing. We should be real happy I reckon. Compare him to say Ayce Cordy who is older than Rhys and a first round pick. Rhysy is going just fine!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Con Gorozidis wrote:Massive positive for me. Yes we need to be patient and no expect him to set the world on fire just yet. But sheesh if we remember last year when he wasnt even going for the ball. So just awesome to see him up and fit and running around and getting his hands on it. People were giving up on him last year . At least hes competing. We should be real happy I reckon. Compare him to say Ayce Cordy who is older than Rhys and a first round pick. Rhysy is going just fine!
I reckon his development had stalled over last twelve months, but now he is one of the players that Watters was refering to when talking about the "sense of optimism and engagement to change. You DONT have to be defined by your past..."
Of all our recent kids, he IS the one I have the greatest hope for. He's got the full package, height, speed, skill and a tank.
my hope this year, forget Ayce Cordy I want people to say Stanley has gone past Kosi, and they are comparing him to Paddy Ryder
Last edited by sunsaint on Mon 27 Feb 2012 8:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Watters has come at a perfect time for Rhys, i have no doubt that Watters will play him as much as possible when fit

In an attempt to build his confidence, after that it's up to him

I think they know of our lack of young kpps, and Stanley is one of very few

jays
Club Player

looked very good imo

DWOODROW
Club Player

I reckon Stanley would be better suited to the ruck position. He has a leap ( I think) and I would like to see how he would do. Probably would take a while to get used to the body on body but could do well.Would bring him into the game a bit more as well to give him some confidence.

Put big McEvoy into the full forward postion who can take a grab and (usually) kicks pretty straight.

Will it happen. May be not but I will be looking for it at some point during the season.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I remember being VERY excited about Rhys two years ago on the basis of a couple of NAB Cup games. I hope he can live up to the expectations this time around.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

This time last year people were expressing serious concerns over McEvoy. Let's hope Stanley can switch on this year and make similar improvement. I think people expect him to be a contested-marking forward, but I see him as a lead up forward, with his speed being his biggest asset. Could be vey inmportant, even as a B-grader.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We are lucky to have a guy like Stanley on the list and we need to give Rhys every opportunity to be one of the hardest guys for opposition sides to match up on... Rhys could develop into a full forward if that's where the coaching staff reckon is his best position and then Kosi can share ruck duties with Macca for most of 2012. Then again, Rhys could be a very agile first ruck, similar to Vickory or perhaps Trent West.

I see a lot of similarities with Stanley and Trent West. Trent West debuted in 2008. He is now 23 and in his 7th year at the club. Vardy and Simpson are also going to develop as ruck options but West has clearly leapfrogged these guys and has now earnt the right as Number 1 ruck at Geelong with the retirement of Ottens. Ottens was also a good contested mark and loved a shot on goal, and West is also showing signs there. Rhys Stanley is actually a couple of centrimetres taller and a also a bit younger, so Rhys has time on his side and we all know the bigger blokes take time to be able to grow bulk, and at the same time has the height advantage.

Macca earnt the right as our number 1 ruck with the retirement of Gardiner, and if Lyon had the guts he would have retired Gardiner in 2010 and fast forwarded Rhys's development while at the same time perhaps adding another young tall to our list...Anyway...its all about game time and that's what every footballer needs. More games and more experience rucking against the very best in the comp. I reckon Rhys could be our first choice ruck if the club wants to develop him in this role. Of course it's up to Macca to make sure that his own game goes up a notch or two if he doesn't want to lose the title of our Number 1 ruck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I would think that he will be a big chance to replace Kosi as he is a more rounded player....better below his knees can catch players to land tackles and his pace keeps him in the game.

Not a Kosi fan but at the moment he is miles ahead of what Stanley has delivered. He needs at least 2 good practice games over the normal time period before I would have him in our side. He is coming from a long way back. Had a terrible year last season.

It is not just who is best now...but who can be best in taking us forward.

Until someone on the AFL evolves the game yet again (and it will happen).....the way the presses are rolled out means that pace, footskills and ability to apply pressure are very important. Kosi lacks in two of these.

The swans game showed all too cleary what can happen when an opponent gets fast break going. We need to 1/ be able to do likewise and 2/ be ale to better resist such fast breaks.

When Kosi is a bit off his game he provides a giant sized Achilles Heel for the opposition to exploit.

Saints have no choice but to tweak the team with more players that can improve our average speed and footskills, and who can break the lines.

Fortunatley through design we seem to now have a new pool of players who offer that, but they inclusive of Rhys need senior gametime in order to develop

Not all will thrive.....but yes I very much see Stanley as being in a face-off with Kosi for a place in the 22. Stanley may not nake it, and if it does it may only been in part this year.

But new blood will come in.
having said that I also fully expect that most of the team in 2012 will be drawn from those that played a lot of senior games in 2011.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Well said.
Given the fat that Scott has reportedly said that the younger ones will be getting games this year for sure and that he was at Collingwood in 2010, when they gave some younger ones games when they almost certainly weren't the best option at the time, I also expect that there could be some tough decisions made. He would have also seen Geelong pushing the younger ones last year and how successful that turned out to be.
At Collingwood in 2010 they started giving some of the younger ones games early in the year, at the expense of the likes of O'Bree and Josh Fraser and a couple of other older ones, even though some or all of those older ones were still performing perfectly well at the time. So, at the time, the ones that took their place were not as likely to do as well, initially, or as consistently, but they were prepared to wear that and by the end of the year the younger ones had improved considerably, to the point where they almost certainly were the best option.
Whether they had intended for that to pay divedends so soon or not, it did and the dramatic improvements in the likes of Wellingham and Sidebottom, by the endof the season, was a key reason they won the premiership. I dare say Watters will be hoping that something like that happens for us this year, or that at least their development is accelerated.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.