Free to Air - 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Free to Air - 2012

Does anyone know why the AFL Broadcast guide only goes up to round 10?

Does anyone have the rest of the info… ?

PORT ADELAIDE fox
GOLD COAST fox
WESTERN BULLDOGS fox
FREMANTLE 7
MELBOURNE 7
HAWTHORN 7
CARLTON 7
WEST COAST EAGLES fox
SYDNEY SWANS fox
RICHMOND 7
v - ?
GOLD COAST
ADELAIDE
NORTH MELBOURNE
ESSENDON
BRISBANE LIONS
SYDNEY SWANS
WESTERN BULLDOGS
COLLINGWOOD
MELBOURNE
GEELONG CATS
GWS
CARLTON

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free to Air - 2012

I think it's great for footy and footy's the winner on the day - if you don't pay for fox kids will have seen one nab cup game live and no free to air coverage until round 4. Why can't we get sponsors on board again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think it's great for footy and footy's the winner on the day - if you don't pay for fox kids will have seen one nab cup game live and no free to air coverage until round 4. Why can't we get sponsors on board again.

Arent kids allowed to go to the footy?

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

According to the fixture that came with the memberships:

R11: (FOX)
R12: (7)
R13: BYE
R14: (FOX)
R15: (7)
R16: (FOX)
R17: (FOX)
R18: (7)
R19: (7)
R20: (7)
R21: (7)
R22: (7)
R23: TBC

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I think it's great for footy and footy's the winner on the day - if you don't pay for fox kids will have seen one nab cup game live and no free to air coverage until round 4. Why can't we get sponsors on board again.

Young kids are hard to get to the footy but we will probably get to one of them. It's just my beef with the AFL selling games away from free to air because it looks good on paper but while they are trying build a higher profile in emerging markets. Insane.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My guess would be the first home one is the dogs one? Or is GC in Melbourne?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Young kids are hard to get to the footy but we will probably get to one of them. It's just my beef with the AFL selling games away from free to air because it looks good on paper but while they are trying build a higher profile in emerging markets. Insane.

Sorry but when is there usually more than 4 games live on FTA. I certainly cant remember. By the way I think you better get used to it as more and more games will probably go to pay TV. Happened all over the world.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

All rounds live on Fox. Every game. Every week. Greatest and cheapest form of entertainment ever, even without the footy. Please, especially if you're a smoker, don't tell me you can't afford it. $12-$15 per week. A couple of Lates or a few pots.

My son will watch the Saints every week with his dad even though we are 100km away from Melbourne. Who cares what games are Free To Air.

We are lucky and have Foxtel, so i don't care what Channel 7 will be showing. They have treated there audience with contempt for years with the footy and now also with the V8's. So no ads siren to siren for me. Now that will be Speccccccccial or is that Delicious. :lol:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:All rounds live on Fox. Every game. Every week. Greatest and cheapest form of entertainment ever, even without the footy. Please, especially if you're a smoker, don't tell me you can't afford it. $12-$15 per week. A couple of Lates or a few pots.

My son will watch the Saints every week with his dad even though we are 100km away from Melbourne. Who cares what games are Free To Air.
You absolute hero…

Honestly, why do you bother jumping in on a thread called "free to air - 2012" and say who cares what games are Free to Air?

Not everyone can afford Pay TV, while others simply don't want to pay over $700 per year for the interest of 8 games of footy… ($90 per match - sweet deal)

Where do you get $12-$15 per week from? Minimum is over $60 per week…

I guess if you vegged out all week watching TV it could be a deal but personally, there is absolutely nothing about Pay TV that interests me apart from the Saints matches, I don't even watch free to air generally… So some people care.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3 games live per week on FTA plugger. The Saturday arvo game is on a 90 minute delay. Full of ads siren to siren and in lousy Standard Definition.

Foxtel is a no-brainer IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:...Not everyone can afford Pay TV, while others simply don't want to pay over $700 per year for the interest of 8 games of footy… ($90 per match - sweet deal)
Nine, but who's counting (still $80 per match). But your point is valid, especially for someone who lives in Melbourne and can go to the footy. Then, there are only five games that can either not be seen live or are shown on FTA tellie. That is, about $150 per game. You might say that there is all the other good stuff on Foxtel. OK, that reduces it to $149.99 per game.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Foxtel overcharge and underdeliver. The only decent thing about their service is live sport, and unfortunately with their international cricket coverage it's hit and miss if Australia is not involved. Wouldn't want to broadcast Test cricket live while there are repeats of golf and boxing to be aired. With a bit of luck, legitimate avenues to watch international sport (including AFL) over the internet will evolve in the next few years. I'm not holding my breath, but that is the way that things are slowly heading.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
8856brother wrote:All rounds live on Fox. Every game. Every week. Greatest and cheapest form of entertainment ever, even without the footy. Please, especially if you're a smoker, don't tell me you can't afford it. $12-$15 per week. A couple of Lates or a few pots.

You absolute hero…

Honestly, why do you bother jumping in on a thread called "free to air - 2012" and say who cares what games are Free to Air?

Not everyone can afford Pay TV, while others simply don't want to pay over $700 per year for the interest of 8 games of footy… ($90 per match - sweet deal)

Where do you get $12-$15 per week from? Minimum is over $60 per week…

I guess if you vegged out all week watching TV it could be a deal but personally, there is absolutely nothing about Pay TV that interests me apart from the Saints matches, I don't even watch free to air generally… So some people care.
No hero buddy. Just happy my son will get to watch the Saints every week if he wants. We live too far away to take him every week. You're delusional if you think it costs $60 per week. No wonder you think its expensive.
Anyway, each to their own. Cheap for my whole family to watch commercial free. Hope that rant made you feel better. :D

Sorry but when is there usually more than 4 games live on FTA. I certainly cant remember. By the way I think you better get used to it as more and more games will probably go to pay TV. Happened all over the world.[/quote]

Well that will see the AFL comp stall and become as rapidly developing as curling and badminton. If they want emerging markets to buy in they had better get it on free to air as much as possible. Farouk in outer western sydney isn't going to pay his Foxfooty subscription just in case he might like the Aussie game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Sorry but when is there usually more than 4 games live on FTA. I certainly cant remember. By the way I think you better get used to it as more and more games will probably go to pay TV. Happened all over the world.
Well that will see the AFL comp stall and become as rapidly developing as curling and badminton. If they want emerging markets to buy in they had better get it on free to air as much as possible. Farouk in outer western sydney isn't going to pay his Foxfooty subscription just in case he might like the Aussie game.[/quote]

In the emerging markets they are on FTA so I have no idea what you are talking about. Anyway the facts are footy is getting bigger. Your emotive words have no factual basis and to the person who said it is a minimum of $60 a week. What are you talking about. It is a minimum of $15 a week. Had fontel for years. Overated but certainly not overpriced. Surely if you really want it anyone can afford that. But only if you really want it. $2 a day.

DK27
Club Player

I would get Foxtel if I could.

My apartment has no way to get a cable in and the body corporate won't allow dishes.

I used to go to the games or down to the pub but now with small kids, I can't really get away.

I would love more Saints free to air games.

It is very limiting for some people to only have foxtel as an option........

dragit
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Hope that rant made you feel better. :D
Always love a good rant, especially when I have months and weeks confused :D

Whatever the cost, some people will choose not to get it, hence interest in which games are on FTA. If you have foxtel and enjoy it, bravo, not quite sure what you gain from spruiking it to those that don't…
saintspremiers wrote:Foxtel is a no-brainer IMO.
It all makes sense now…

ando051
Club Player

Its a win - win for everyone. 3 live and 1 delayed game on FTA or 9 games live on Foxtel. The sad thing is if you want to see live sport you need Foxtel.It will get worse before it gets any better.

I think the Channel 7 FTA games are

Friday night Live 7.30pm
Saturday afternoon delayed 3.00pm
Saturday night Live 7.40pm
Sunday afternoon live 3.00pm

I think we are luckier than some clubs and have about 11 games on FTA, I think the Kangaroos have about 2 or 3

Majority
Club Player

No dish, no cable.
I do not know enough about it, to say this is your solution.
But it is worth looking into.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/xbox/default.h ... w={keyword}

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
8856brother wrote:Hope that rant made you feel better. :D
Always love a good rant, especially when I have months and weeks confused :D

Whatever the cost, some people will choose not to get it, hence interest in which games are on FTA. If you have foxtel and enjoy it, bravo, not quite sure what you gain from spruiking it to those that don't…
saintspremiers wrote:Foxtel is a no-brainer IMO.
It all makes sense now…
What makes sense ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Live 3000k away so not going to hop onto an $800 return flight every weekend.
But not going to waste money on pay tv either - if I could just get the sport then maybe, but only watch saints games anyway. So, like more and more kids here, mine are growing up pretty isolated from the footy. Most families here don't have austar - why bother when we just had an additional 10 channels added recently on fta - most are just as crap as what austar serves up. A lot that do get pay tv do so for the EPL, not the footy. Many don't go to any games live due to the likelihood of violence, which is sad. I went to watch nt thunder in an alcohol free game - maybe 200 odd turned up at best on a day when tickets were just $5 for adults, $2 for kids. The Crows v Lions game had the worst attendance I can remember, just ten years ago we crowded between 14 and 17 thousand in. Now I'm not blaming austar/foxtel, but if the afl really wanted to promote the game in rural areas they should be allowing more fta games so fans can watch their team. Those that want hd and no ads should have the opportunity, but those happy to just watch their team should also have it. Far more kids and adults play soccer here now, and the local footy comp had to open up to the surrounding communities teams to survive. sadly those visiting community supporters are the only ones attending. The Footy Show on Thursday nights used to be the afl one, then some five years ago only the NRL version was available. and when the local channel (imparja - an aboriginal owned station) had both footy and rugby, it was the rugby that got Friday night prime time and the afl started at 11pm.
Maybe that started turning people off, maybe most here are simply losing interest in the modern game, and the tv station knew sponsor dollars lay with rugby, either way pay tv ain't going to get the interest back.
It'll be interesting to see whether the suns and the giants succeed, but I reckon they're facing an uphill struggle. As some have stated here - it's the fta-paytv trade off that is currently propelling the game to record finances, but outside the afl, footy is struggling. And if the roots wither...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to note the soccer...

I also notice at schools the enormous growth in kids interest in soccer......

Sure the AFL TV deals are bringing more dollars than ever into the game but I also reckon at grass roots level footy needs a face lift...not Foxtel.

“Yeah….nah””
westy
Club Player

Well, I am in Perth and at $75.00 per month for HD IQ thingamyjig it is excellent value. Plus I can watch the game over and over and over................ And I got a Saints remote plus $50.00 to spend at the Saints shop and Foxtel donated $50.00 to St Kilda Football Club. I call that Ken Brilliant value

I'm livin' in a madhouse
matrix
Saintsational Legend

cry me a 'river'

there should be plenty of tears about