Why that was a fantastic win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Why that was a fantastic win

Often, some external factor fires up Melbourne.

Neitz and the taxi driver incident for example. We lost that game.

Today it was Paul Roos calling Melbourne players soft http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/paul-ro ... 6341132568

So f****** great, they come out breathing fire against us. Head over the ball all night, throwing themselves into contests like they actually want to win. They haven't done it all year, but suddenly against us they turn it on like their lives depended on it.

We often lose these ones.

Not tonight. Great effort saints. Really good effort!!

Now we have the hardest run of the year. Hawthorn, carlton west coast.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why that was a fantastic win

You are easily pleased. If you believe what you are saying then you must think what i think and know we are going down and already an average side.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Play like that fist half where we were oathetic in a contest, clearance and Hawks will have 6 goals up on us in 10 mins.

First half was deplorable.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Perfect for the lead in v the Hawks

Going to be as tough in close next week.

Better preperation than a coast, that's for sure.

Just not going to accept that the Demons were crap tonight, just not.

I'm sure they will review the first half, but gee that last quarter, it actually reminded me of 2009, contested....tight...fierce....cream rose to the top

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

if we get within 100 points of the Hawks we'll have excelled

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:You are easily pleased. If you believe what you are saying then you must think what i think and know we are going down and already an average side.

And the conditions had nothing to do with it :roll:

We were cruising until it rained and brought a 6 goal lesser team back into it.

Good win in tough conditions. Obviously you never played footy on anything but pristine sunny, dry days :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

When I saw that article about melb today I was concerned that it would motivate them, thankfully we got over the line but it's still crap performance, we are going to find the next few weeks hard going.

I love this club
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

The expectation that we'd roll over the top of them with ease must have entered the minds of some players.

Melbourne brought a shitload of ferocity to the contest tonight. In fact they were killing us in contested possession in the 1st half. We managed to grind out a win against a very determined team. Never underestimate any team in the AFL (except gold coast and the giants perhaps...).

We won't be so unprepared for hawthorn.

Lachy384
Club Player

To be honest I'm quite happy. As soon as it started raining I thought we were screwed, Melbourne wanted that.

But we really did smack em in the second half, if it wasn't raining the scoreboard would show it.

GWS were about 20 down against Adelaide for most of the game last week in the wet, thats just how it is.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
clarky449 wrote:You are easily pleased. If you believe what you are saying then you must think what i think and know we are going down and already an average side.

Good win in tough conditions. Obviously you never played footy on anything but pristine sunny, dry days :roll:
Mate i played 3/4 of my games on a wet mud heap ground. Probably got more touches in a game then you did in your whole career...Not about the conditions, we already are an average side.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Exactly

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Yeah we get it, you think we are average. You mention it in every thread, like there is some sort of prize for saying it first.

Well this average team just kept the other team scoreless and ground out a win. Yeah I know we are average

james rose
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Mate i played 3/4 of my games on a wet mud heap ground. Probably got more touches in a game then you did in your whole career...Not about the conditions, we already are an average side.

Then it was in fact a very good performance then. How many average sides win when their opponents lay 100 tackles in the wet.

Also good to know you were a superstar. Would I have heard of you?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

lol - now you are bragging about your footy career on an internet forum.

Oh dear :oops: :oops:

If (and by your silly post a HUGE if) you played any competitive sport including football in the rain, you would have some idea that conditions play a part
in the skill level of the contest.

You dont seem to understand that at all.

As for being average, the team may well be average and will struggle to win one or two of the next four, but tonights game was all down to the rain for three quarters.

So Melbourne showed some fight and tackled hard. They were doing that before the rain and we were all over them.

Now tell us some more about your great football career. lol - too funny :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Good win in tough conditions. Obviously you never played footy on anything but pristine sunny, dry days :roll:[/quote]
Mate i played 3/4 of my games on a wet mud heap ground. Probably got more touches in a game then you did in your whole career...Not about the conditions, we already are an average side.[/quote]

lol - now you are bragging about your footy career on an internet forum.

Oh dear :oops: :oops:

If (and by your silly post a HUGE if) you played any competitive sport including football in the rain, you would have some idea that conditions play a part
in the skill level of the contest.

You dont seem to understand that at all.

As for being average, the team may well be average and will struggle to win one or two of the next four, but tonights game was all down to the rain for three quarters.

So Melbourne showed some fight and tackled hard. They were doing that before the rain and we were all over them.

Now tell us some more about your great football career. lol - too funny :D :D[/quote]

Do you reckon he played in an average team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne did play much much better today. Was a good win by us. Sure we lack the class of the top 4 sides. But you cant knock our effort in the 2nd half.
i think in clarkys mind he is leigh matthews :D

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Melbourne did play much much better today. Was a good win by us. Sure we lack the class of the top 4 sides. But you cant knock our effort in the 2nd half.
i think in clarkys mind he is leigh matthews :D
Well i was called Lethal for a while.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Do you reckon he played in an average team :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont think the boy has played at all.

Really his posts seem to show an incredible ignorance to things that even the non footy observer would understand.

But to brag on an internet forum about being a great footballer is hilarious. He must be very young. :D

Lance or James??

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Really his posts seem to show an incredible ignorance to things that even the non footy observer would understand.

But to brag on an internet forum about being a great footballer is hilarious. He must be very young. :D
"Great footballer"??? Hmmm, didnt know i said that. Old age catching up gramps?

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

"Fantastic" win is a fair stretch. We were average and good enough to win thanks mainly to Lenny, Dal and Armo. The form of Milera and Stanley is encouraging. We'll get a good indication if we're a threat over the next month.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Clarky, stop posting. You are a joke boy..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Noticed how he never has his own opinion but will get stuck into posts? Very ordinary and unimaginative. He is a waste of space. Even someone like Cairnsman has an original view on things..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Milera and Wilkes are real finds
McEvoy is improving all the time
Cripps did well tonight - even counting the hospital passes he was given tonight

Next up - Siposs and Ledger

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I agree. Just watching the way we played in that final quarter and it was a scintillating contest - one that will give us a good preparation for next weekend against Hawthorn.

Yes, they will punish us if we play anything like that first half but not looking at the scoreboard, there is a clear marked improvement in how we played the first half to the second.

The most important thing was we put just as much pressure as they put on us.

So I agree, fantastic win given the unexpected challenge we had ahead of us. All three winless sides really pushed their opposition today, great for the competition.

Oh and call me crazy but I don't think Hawthorn are certainties having actually watched that second half now.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Is your glass half full or are you a Collingwood troll?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.