Where we REALLY are

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Where we REALLY are

Well at least we know.

We are simply not up for it this year.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong but after our incredibly soft draw in the opening month, we have been shown exactly where we sit.

It doesn't give me any great comfort to say this but we will struggle to make much impact at all in 2012 - and possibly further on.

Our future is hard to gauge at this stage. Just when we think our younger guys are stars in the making, they get a cruel dose of reality against competent opposition (no offence to Port and Freo). We can keep blooding youngsters and all that, which will be great but once our core players have all retired, we need these guys to turn into superstars or we'll be sliding way down the ladder... sadly, I don't see it at this stage.

I think we know exactly where we are now. Only the msot optimistic Sainters could see us finishing us anywhere above sixth (by virtue of an extremely soft draw) and being the realist I am, I think we'll miss the finals this year.

We were probably good enough to beat the Hawks based on our endeavour, but once again, our execution was poor.

I see a further eight wins for the year giving us eleven which will probably (in this weak season) give us tenth or eleventh, perhaps higher if we get good percentage.

I'm not trying to be negative (I normally am pretty positive on here) but this is just an honest assessment of where I think we are at.

Keep trying and give a hundred percent effort every week but after tonight its clear we are not up to it.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where we REALLY are

I think you are spot on mate.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I think 10 wins will be a good outcome.

It'll give the kids a bit of winning feeling, we'll gain a top 10-12 draft pick and it will force some delistings.

The finals are out of reach and if they weren't at the start of the season the losses to Port and Freo cemented it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I was actually surprised tbh how long we were in this game - we clawed back a 24 pt deficit and had Riewoldt kicked straight wouldve been within a kick.

Last qtr aside, I thought for large parts tonight up against supposed world beaters we did ok.

Lost out of the middle - left to to few, no ruck.

“Yeah….nah””
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:I was actually surprised tbh how long we were in this game - we clawed back a 24 pt deficit and had Riewoldt kicked straight wouldve been within a kick.

Last qtr aside, I thought for large parts tonight up against supposed world beaters we did ok.

Lost out of the middle - left to to few, no ruck.
Completely agree. I thought that was in my post, i must have deleted it or written it somewhere else.

For three quarters and perhaps ten minutes of the last we were very competitive despite some poor umpiring and even more poor disposal efficiency. (Kosi's goal kicking probably kept us in the game to be honest)

Then when the Hawks got right on top and out to that four goal lead, we just let them have it.

It was quite disheartening but it was in a way a relief to not be teased and just know that we are not up to it.

Up until then, it was extremely good effort considering the missing McEvoy and Fisher.

saintkellerm
Club Player

Yes it was a reality check......but then if we win next week, we'll all be saying we r back, and then if we don't it was expected.

I'll be there next week tho cheering them on no matter what.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After we are 3 and 6

A long way back...... And that's the truth of it....

The Port, Freo losses were significant..... Instead of finishing around 7-10, we may slip as low as 12th

battye
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:It was quite disheartening but it was in a way a relief to not be teased and just know that we are not up to it.
Yeah, it's an interesting point. A 6 goal loss is probably more useful than a 2 goal loss in the grand scheme of things. The sooner the coaching staff realise that we are not simply "just out of reach of the top teams" the sooner the reasons why will be addressed.

For all the people suggesting we tank... someone else summed it up quite well recently. If we can go down to Port and get pushed to the line by a woeful Melbourne, we won't need to tank.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Was a good loss.

Guts and determination we gave it 100%.

Very proud of the boys tonight against quality opposition.

Losing Fisher at half time after he had 14 possies and a goal killed us.

Cant be unhappy with that sort of effort. Ever. Full
Stop.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saintkellerm wrote:Yes it was a reality check......but then if we win next week, we'll all be saying we r back, and then if we don't it was expected.

I'll be there next week tho cheering them on no matter what.
yep, that';s a good point.

it's a tricky situation - if we play like we did in the first three quarters, we're half a chance next week - if we play like we did in the last, we are no chance.

You don't know what St Kilda is going to turn up.

Just to throw my two cents in for the tanking debate - just no.

Don't trade our good players, don't tank. Just play each game on our merits, select the best 22 each week and just work our way through it.

With a bit of luck (well a lot of luck) and some hard work, we may be able to get back up there in 2-3 years in stead of 5 or 6.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Poor disposals from the same older players killed us tonight !

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it was a good players who were quiet tonight.

Flipside, their big names played well.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Yes, it was a good players who were quiet tonight.

Flipside, their big names played well.
11 goals between Rioli and Buddy.

Thank God the game wasn't on last night - shudder to think how bruce would have reacted.

Meanwhile, Dal Santo, Hayes, Joey were all quiet (by their standards) and Roo missed two clutch goals in the third term....

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think it was a reality check at all. The last 3 weeks we have been let down by poor disposal. We were up on most of the key stats going into that last quarter. 9 out of 10 that would mean a win. Once again, our disposal was woeful. We have lost by 40+ in our better years to Hawthorn so tonight I was not upset or given any type of reality check. This year is wide open. Calmer heads, players stepping up (special mention to BJ) and better efficiency and disposal, I can only see us improving.

Losing Macca tonight hurt and will for the next few weeks. How flamin' good was kosi? Where are all those Kosi whingers now...?? They seem to be eerily quiet.......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearing ya saint75, looks like he is in the kind of form that he will mark anything right now....and has his kicking ever really been in doubt?

Preseasons, worth their weight.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Simple fact is we have beaten three bottom 4 sides, we have had narrow loses to two very ordinary sides and got comfortably besaten by a good side who are playing badly.
We are a 9-13 side in my opinion.
We need to start looking to the future, but we need to do it sensibly.
Some players should be put back to the seconds to allow some of the younger guys to have a taste.
This does not mean make wholesale changes just move out some of the older players who have fundemental flaws in their game.
Peake, Ray, Clarke and Polo should have their tickets stamped and be told to be mentors to the young guys playing at Sandy as they are not our future.
Peake and Polo butcher the ball to much, Clarke plays 2 blinders a season and 6 or 7 absolute shockers.
Jones needs to go back to being a pure tagger as his disposal is laughable at times.
We should be trying to get rid of Blake, fantastic servant to the club that he has been, but we are so short on Key defenders that he simply must play.

Kernal75
Club Player

Have always said 10-13 this year. There's a common theme to all our losses so far.......disposal. Who cares if our endeavour is great and our key stats are up. Cold hard reality is we don't have enough players with the skill level required to consistently deliver in AFL footy today. The end of this season will bring some home truths about our list and some of our stars. Culling time is fast approaching,

oh when the
Club Player

We need a leader on the ground that swings a game our way

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.as low as 12th.
... thats heartening.
... lower would be better , imoooc.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.