Some points I'd like discuss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iceman
Club Player

Some points I'd like discuss

A few things have had me thinking about St.Kilda for the remainder of this year and into next year.
I think they're pretty valid discussion points and want some opinions! They are not based purely on tonight, but where we are at overall:

- Koschitzke adds great value to our forward line, although he may not get heaps of marks or kicks, ALWAYS brings the ball to ground at worst. Will kick his 2 minumum when playing permanent forward and he creates more for crumbing forwards. I actually don't like him going into the ruck, he struggles to impact aorund the ground and blows up, struggles when he gets back to the forward line. He needs to play in the forward 50, 90% of the time. When he has been doing so he has played some really good footy this year. Pinch hit ruck 5 minutes MAX per quarter. I think he has been in very good form this season.

- Blake should not have gone into the ruck late and left riewoldt on poor Simpkin or Dempster. Giving away too much size! Riewoldt smashed us early when blake was rucking, and in the end proved to be the difference with further goals when blake went tback intot the ruck. Poor simpking is probably as big as me (not that big, couldn't play key position for my local magoos) and was expected to go toe to toe with a big strong FF.

Even if that meant persisting with Gilbert in the ruck, at least our structure wasn't breaking down with him in there!

I think we get Fisher, McEvoy and Stanley back, we are a 5 goal better side. Would have had the tigers i think.

Next years recruiting: We have a gap in our list of 23-26 year olds. Great the Armo and Steven are coming on, but there should be a stronger core in that age bracket. Ray needs to take one more solid step and I believe he can. Gwolt, Geary and Gilbert, well none of them are really match winners. Saad and Milera have shown what impaxt this age group has. Our young blokes are doing a great job. Watters seems like he will be great for their development but I think we really look at 2-3, 23-26 year olds who have a ability to walk straight into our side and impact imediately.

I would be targeting Alex Silvagni and Chris Knights. Silvagni will plug a hole in our side, should have been drafted to St.Kilda but Lyon didn't want him, makes himself a name at Freo then Lyon buggers him around over there. Ready made Fullback. Knights is a 25 year old mid/fwd still capable of being a match winner, playing great footy at SANFL level but with Adelaide flying just not breaking in at this stage. These players currency is dropping, when our top end start to drop off - Hayes, Roo, Dal, Monty, Fish etc. the next breed of 25-29 year olds take you to that next step. We need to be in a position to compete at that stage, giving time for our youngsters to fill the next void after that.

Also one other thing that pisses my melbourne mate off... Did you know Stanley is only 3 months older than Watts... I keep telling him not worry, one day when Watts is as old and experienced as Stanley... oh wait, he already is and he has played more games.

Thoughts?