the other side of football- - Jarryd Allen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the other side of football- - Jarryd Allen

yet another great work by Emma Quayle

ttp://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/short-st ... 23zht.html
ALLEN had no choice either. He was in his second year, had signed a new three-year deal and been called up for St Kilda's 2008 semi-final against Collingwood when he was hurt. He can picture it all: where he led, how Robert Harvey looked for him, how suddenly the boundary line appeared, how, after landing at first on his right leg, his left didn't bend, the force rushing up his leg. In that moment, he fractured his hip socket and shredded almost all the cartilage lining it.

For almost a year he tried to get back. He spent weeks on crutches. He learnt about how all the little muscles around his hip worked. He started running in straight lines and felt good, like the impossible was going to happen.

Then he woke up one morning in pain, and needed a third operation. Allen was drifting in and out of sleep when the surgeon came to see him but knew what he was saying: no new cartilage had been generated; that if it were him, he would never play football again.
Welcome litle Mikayla
STARTING out in landscaping is hard, especially when you have a bad hip. Allen might go back to it one day, when he's ready to start his own business, but for the past six months he has been working for his older brother, driving excavators around building sites. He wants to help his new hip last, and needed a change anyway. He's an assistant coach at St Mary's Salesian, an amateur side, but what really got him through his darkest times was the birth last year of his daughter, Mikayla.

''She's changed my life,'' he said. ''Even waiting for her changed me. She gave me something to look forward to. On the weekends when I finished, I wasn't really doing anything. I was sitting around, and when your weekends have always been about playing footy and then you stop and there's nothing, it was something I found hard and my motivation wasn't there, for anything. So she helped. She took me forward a bit. I started to see the positives.''

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: the other side of football- - Jarryd Allen

What is really dissapointing reading that article is reading this:

What didn't help was the trouble he then had with St Kilda: bills that weren't paid until Allen starting receiving legal letters and had to chase the club up two or three times; calls that came only after his own lawyers requested his medical files and began looking into whether he had a case against the Saints.

Technically he was still a St Kilda player in 2010, having agreed to be on the rookie list to help the club manage its salary cap and his final payment. But the only person who called to check on his surgery was the club doctor. The rehab left him out of pocket more than $5000 and he couldn't help but feel bitter.

''I think it just made a pretty bad time in my life worse. That's all. I don't want to name names, but at that time the last thing I needed was to be getting letters from lawyers about bills that weren't paid,'' he said. ''It just felt a bit harsh to me and it was a bad experience, but I look back and that's just footy. While you're there, they care and they'd do anything for you, but then you're of no use. I'm still out of pocket a fair bit, but it's more the feeling that no one really cared or even wanted to know about it.''

Surely the clubs not that ruthless? The guys was a player (had talent I thought too). Dont like hearing that.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gee thats a tad rough

:evil:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yeah not great, he helped the club out of a pickle, could of returned the favour.

Glad to hear life is happy for him, I'm sure his daughter helps to heal his wounds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very nice guy and a great family.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be interested in hearing the club's response to this. On face value he's been treated very poorly, and frankly I expect better of my club than that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shithouse treatment from the club. A real shame too, he was looking like a gun.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Unforgivable treatment from the club.

Honestly, I feel compelled to apologize to Allen for it. Not good enough. Not good enough at all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I know AFL is big corporate business and perhaps I'm naive ... but I just like to believe we don't treat our own like that...

“Yeah….nah””
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

On the radio in Perth Tim Gosich interviewed Emma and she elaborated on this some more .. Basically the club once they found out he was done and dusted as a player forgot he existed making life hard for him .. In contrast the young Collingwood boy was very well looked after with the Pies giving him a job at the club to keep him involved ( they had him as the runner in the G/F )

It's storys like this that I feel sick about our club .. It doesn't cost anything to treat people decently yes it's a cut throat industry but a bit of care compassion and support go's a long way ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

We should ask the club to help him out with what he lost throughout this episode?

Absolutely disgraceful, and really peanuts in the scheme of an AFL club annual budget.

The PR for this is a lot more costly than the 10K, Nettlefold needs to dust off the old wallet, how much is he on again?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:We should ask the club to help him out with what he lost throughout this episode?

Absolutely disgraceful, and really peanuts in the scheme of an AFL club annual budget.

The PR for this is a lot more costly than the 10K, Nettlefold needs to dust off the old wallet, how much is he on again?
At the least Nettlefold could supply him a pair of his skin tight black jeans that he wears to keep himself looking 17...

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

Agree, while I hate the filth they look aftEr their players. Not a great day for the saints today even though we won:(

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Doesn't sound great, but there are 2 sides to every story and we haven't heard the other side yet.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Just ask Shane Wakelin.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

It's embarrassing whatever the club's side of the story is. Agree with other posters. No matter how much we despise them, it wouldn't happen at Collongwood.

Wonder whether Roo gets treated the same when his knee has finally had enough.

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:It's storys like this that I feel sick about our club .. It doesn't cost anything to treat people decently yes it's a cut throat industry but a bit of care compassion and support go's a long way ..
i reckon this one might be not so much about lack of compassion, but good ol' fashioned incompetence.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I think it is a lot about lack of compassion Emma said in the interveiw the only person from the club to contact or vist him while in recovery (while he was still listed) was the club doctor ... I mean come on you can't tell me the CEO , the coach , the captain can't take 5 mins to pick up the phone and say how's things going ... Good thing is the club has come out promoting the new mental health program being run at the club helping the players recognise if their team mates are in a bit of a bad olde mentally .. Sadly for Allen it's come too late , I would imagine he would have been struggling during that time , finding out your dream is over in pain from the injury having uncertainty about the future , out of pocket financially ... The club should have been in constant contact with him not just dropping and running ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintly
Saintsational Legend

It is embarressing by the club. that they could not look after the financial aspects of his injury, especially when he helped them out.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Wow.... Sh1t form from the club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Scott has been big since arriving, on making the players better young men...off field...this is a perfect example of where they were falling short.

Personally, I'd like to see this acknowledged, and a public apology issued to Jarryd.

Regardless if it was previous staff/admin responsible, it would show the club has grown up a bit in this respect to still attempt to make it right.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It a real negative from our club. At Auskick in the last 2 years we had Cloke, Pendles, Reid and Goldsack, the Pies send out elite talent the Saints sent some info about a clinic with some Sandy players that the kids didn't know. The difference in what they put back is why they build their brand and bad publicity from incidents like this mean we will lose the extended family of Jarred allen and potentially more from word of mouth.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

An apology and some money too... Poor bastard stuffed his body playing for us, we owe him the rehab costs at the very least.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

gringo wrote:It a real negative from our club. At Auskick in the last 2 years we had Cloke, Pendles, Reid and Goldsack, the Pies send out elite talent the Saints sent some info about a clinic with some Sandy players that the kids didn't know. The difference in what they put back is why they build their brand and bad publicity from incidents like this mean we will lose the extended family of Jarred allen and potentially more from word of mouth.
Nettlefold is doing a great job...again :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:What is really dissapointing reading that article is reading this:

What didn't help was the trouble he then had with St Kilda: bills that weren't paid until Allen starting receiving legal letters and had to chase the club up two or three times; calls that came only after his own lawyers requested his medical files and began looking into whether he had a case against the Saints.

Technically he was still a St Kilda player in 2010, having agreed to be on the rookie list to help the club manage its salary cap and his final payment. But the only person who called to check on his surgery was the club doctor. The rehab left him out of pocket more than $5000 and he couldn't help but feel bitter.

''I think it just made a pretty bad time in my life worse. That's all. I don't want to name names, but at that time the last thing I needed was to be getting letters from lawyers about bills that weren't paid,'' he said. ''It just felt a bit harsh to me and it was a bad experience, but I look back and that's just footy. While you're there, they care and they'd do anything for you, but then you're of no use. I'm still out of pocket a fair bit, but it's more the feeling that no one really cared or even wanted to know about it.''

Surely the clubs not that ruthless? The guys was a player (had talent I thought too). Dont like hearing that.
glad he's got lawyers....i'd sue

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.