Free agency- updated list from AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Free agency- updated list from AFL

Patrick Keane‏@AFL_PKeane

AFL Free Agency period runs October 1 to 5pm, October 19. The Gillette AFL Trade Period for clubs runs from October 8 to 2pm, October 26.

Unrestricted Free Agents – p4 - J Bolton, J Moore; A Embley, D Kerr, Q Lynch, M Nicoski; W Minson.

Unrestricted F Agents – p3 - M Bate, L Dunn, J Rivers; M Firrito; Brett Ebert, S Salopek, J Surjan; S Tuck; J Blake, R Clarke, J Koschitzke;

Unrest' F Agents–p2 - L McPharlin; S Byrnes, P Chapman, C Enright, J Hunt, M Scarlett, D Wojcinski; C Bateman, T Murphy, M Osborne, C Young;

Unr'd F Agents – p1 - C Knights; S Black, A McGrath; J Russell, B Thornton; B Johnson; R Dyson, D Fletcher, D Hille, N L-Murray, H Slattery;

Restricted Free Agents-J Drummond; H Scotland; T Cloke, H O’Brien; A Monfries; B Moloney; T Chaplin, D Pearce; L McGuane; B Goddard, J Gram.

If a restricted free agent has an offer matched by his original club but still wants to change clubs, he must enter draft or seek a trade.

Unrestricted free agents may automatically move to their club of choice.

The AFL today distributed the updated list of restricted (11) and unrestricted free agent (40) players to 18 clubs across the competition.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free agency- updated list from AFL

Well that means Kosi and Gram do not have contracts. That is a very good sign.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well that means Kosi and Gram do not have contracts. That is a very good sign.
They might not have 'contracts', but they still may be legally able to activate another year via the clause...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well that means Kosi and Gram do not have contracts. That is a very good sign.
They might not have 'contracts', but they still may be legally able to activate another year via the clause...

I seriously hope the club werent that stupid. No wonder Matthew Drain isnt with us anymore if true.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
It also means we would get a 3rd rounder for losing either Kosi, Clarke or Blake based on the Band compo system. :shock: Not bad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
dragit wrote:
It also means we would get a 3rd rounder for losing either Kosi, Clarke or Blake based on the Band compo system. :shock: Not bad.

How do you know that?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

I seriously hope the club werent that stupid. No wonder Matthew Drain isnt with us anymore if true.
\

It was not as if Kosi or Gram were world-beaters either so why would they have such simple performance-based deals?

What happened to kicking 40 goals or getting on average .25 hard ball gets a game?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

How do you know that?
Just cos...

The compensation has been released by the AFL and there are 5 Bands:

Band 1: First round selection
Band 2: End of first round selection
Band 3: Second round selection
Band 4: End of second round selection
Band 5: Third round selection

I'm guessing which band they fall under however I doubt it would be anything BUT band 5 for those blokes. The good thing is the clubs are protected somewhat cos at the very worst you get a third rounder which aint half bad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you know that?
Just cos...

I'm guessing which band they fall under however I doubt it would be anything BUT band 5 for those blokes. The good thing is the clubs are protected somewhat cos at the very worst you get a third rounder which aint half bad.

Well they wont get picked up but I wish they would. Seems stupid that you must get at least a third rounder. I suppose ordinary players just wont get picked up but really some players are worth nothing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you know that?
Just cos...

Well they wont get picked up but I wish they would. Seems stupid that you must get at least a third rounder. I suppose ordinary players just wont get picked up but really some players are worth nothing.
I guess they could acquire them in the pre season draft instead of during the FA window.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So if GWS picks up Kosi we get a third rounder?

Sounds alright to me!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

The club or Drain was that stupid, also CJ has a clause as well!

noob
Club Player

That sounds right. If a club wants someone from the free agency then he must be worth something.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I guess they could acquire them in the pre season draft instead of during the FA window.
You would think though that if you were interested in a player, it would be much safer just to take them via FA instead of waiting till the end of the draft and risking another club taking them…

Not sure we need to waste too much energy worrying about Kosi, Clarke or Blake going to another club, but I suppose Port would have thought the same thing about Brogan & Cornes :shock:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Last year I wanted nothing more than the club to find a trade for gram..I'm pretty sure they tried too. That said his season this year has been a significant improvement..I reckon he deserves another year. Kosi on the other hand ..I think the money could be better used elsewhere

#1 Ryder fan
savatage
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:Last year I wanted nothing more than the club to find a trade for gram..I'm pretty sure they tried too. That said his season this year has been a significant improvement..I reckon he deserves another year. Kosi on the other hand ..I think the money could be better used elsewhere

They did. Carlton was the only club interested but baulked at his hefty price tag. I was very critical with Gram's form this early part of the season - but he improved a lot in the second half of the season.

Nobody would be interested in JK, he really should have played his last game for us...I guess it depends on what other players we can find for next season with height...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
You answered you own question.

Essentially no club will pick up a player in this scheme unless they are reasonable...as in most cases you would also be paying a fair bit for them.

The lesser lights that someone may take a chance on they will let slide to be a late draft pick or rookie pick, on lower money.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Buckets
SS Life Member

Isn't the compensation based on the contract at the original club and the one being offered? Heard that last week.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Key defender smorgasbord:

Troy Chaplin (195/100, 26yo, 140 games)
Lynden Dunn (192/95, 25yo, 99 games)
Michael Firrito (190/94, 28yo, 192 games)
Dustin Fletcher (198/92, 55yo, 912 games)
Quinten Lynch (192/103, 29yo, 207 games)
Luke McGuane (192/92, 25yo, 93 games)
Luke McPharlin (193/91, 30yo, 209 games)
Jared Rivers (192/92, 27yo, 150 games)
Matthew Scarlett (192/94, 33yo, 283 games)
Bret Thornton (192/94, 28yo, 188 games)
Jason Blake (189/90, 31yo, 212 games)

Anyone useful on that list? Obviously a few of them are unattainable - Fletcher, Lynch, McPharlin, Scarlett. Most of the rest are not much better than Jason Blake, and none of the attainable ones are bigger than 192 except Chaplin. Who would you take?

Ruck options:

David Hille (202/108, 31yo, 193 games)
Justin Koschitzke (197/94, 29yo, 195 games)
Will Minson (199/106, 27yo, 136 games)

Interesting comparison. I reckon Hille could do as good a job as Kosi over the next couple of years, if he wanted to keep playing. Maybe not that much better though and more likely to break down. Minson sounds unlikely but could he be useful? If the AFL goes to two subs then all of these guys will need to spend a lot of time on the field.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If we lose Goddard to free agency, then we will probably want to avoid picking up a free agent, otherwise we will risk diluting the compensation we would receive for Goddard.

I personally don't want to see a pick 13, turn into a pick 31 because we have picked up a 31 YO ruckmen, or even a 26YO defender.

An average key defender/ruckmen won't make us premiers next year, we need a longer term plan than that.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

There's really no one on that list that we should be going after.

Chaplin has been mentioned but I don't rate him at all.

As has been mentioned ad-nauseum, if BJ walks then signing a free agent from that list will result in us losing the compensatory 1st round pick. In a strong draft & with the direction that the club is heading I would think that keeping that pick (likely to be #13) is the way to go.

Just listening to Scotty on SEN re: Kosi... "He's absolutely a required player, Kosi's leadership with the development of Rhys Stanley, Jay Lever, etc is outstanding & something that he won't be recognised for externally but it certainly is internally" (paraphrased).

He goes onto say "over a 2 year period we need a tall defender with reach, back up ruck support, a developing key forward & a mid" (again paraphrased). His preference this year is to find the defender & the ruck support.

I wish the finals were over this weekend so we could get stuck into trade week/ FA sigings, etc. It's going to be a long month of analysis, rumour & repeating ourselves!

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

dragit wrote:If we lose Goddard to free agency, then we will probably want to avoid picking up a free agent, otherwise we will risk diluting the compensation we would receive for Goddard.

I personally don't want to see a pick 13, turn into a pick 31 because we have picked up a 31 YO ruckmen, or even a 26YO defender.

An average key defender/ruckmen won't make us premiers next year, we need a longer term plan than that.
I'm not sure I understand your logic. How would pick 13 turn in to 31?

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
dragit wrote:If we lose Goddard to free agency, then we will probably want to avoid picking up a free agent, otherwise we will risk diluting the compensation we would receive for Goddard.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. How would pick 13 turn in to 31?
Apparently the compensation you receive for losing a player to free agency, takes into account any players that you gain via free agency. All part of a dubious "AFL determined formula" no doubt.

Say if we lost Goddard, but gained Cloke, then we would receive no compensation per se.

Not sure how it would be effected if we took a player of Chaplains calibre though? It could drop our compo pick from mid first round, back to end of fist round or second round - no-one knows until Andrew reads his tea leaves…

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Last year I wanted nothing more than the club to find a trade for gram..I'm pretty sure they tried too. That said his season this year has been a significant improvement..
Must have been given the call by his manager to impress with long bombs out of defence and into the forward line, and shots from outside fifty cause thats about all he did on the weekend.

With very good effect mind you.

Gram is important in todays football, he can run and carry (not as much as he used to though) 20 metres and then kick it 50-60 metres easily. This gets over the defensive zone and we can then utilise our speed out the back with Saad, Milera, and Stanley.

Should be very much a required player.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Royston
Club Player

Is the pick you get for FA....say Goddard going, is it 'that' clubs round pick or is it a pick 'created' by the league.
Do we get a first round pick from say Richmond if he goes to Punt Rd or do they keep their 1st rounder and we get a 1st rounder 'created' by the powers that be??