Sean Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Anniex

Sean Dempster

Outstanding performance all season, reliable, mature player who has raised his game to a new level. Should be seriously considered for captain.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sean Dempster

Welcome to the forum, he's the most improved mature aged player in the league but I'm not sure he has the personality to get up in front of the cameras and talk at pressers or the troop rallying at huddles. He's a quiet achiever Seany, humble and a good bloke though.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't surprise me if he wins the Trevor Barker Medal this year, although I think Lenny may just pip him at the post !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Anniex

Thanx for the welcome, gringo. I take your point on 'quiet achievers', but you could have said the same about Lenny once. He seemed to be the low-key type until he took on the captaincy. How about Milney? ;) Love him to bits!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Anniex wrote:Thanx for the welcome, gringo. I take your point on 'quiet achievers', but you could have said the same about Lenny once. He seemed to be the low-key type until he took on the captaincy. How about Milney? ;) Love him to bits!
Yeah true on Lenny- he was a quiet type early on and it def bought out his strengths. Milney would be an awesome captain but can't see anyone appointing him, he's always the one singing loudest in the circle and loves the limelight. I would have loved to see him doing kids parties with Stephen Baker a few years ago, there must be a few kids in therapy still.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sean captained on the weekend, so that's something....

I think they'd be willing to consider him for the role, but not convinced he'd seek it out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Welcome to the forum, he's the most improved mature aged player in the league but I'm not sure he has the personality to get up in front of the cameras and talk at pressers or the troop rallying at huddles. He's a quiet achiever Seany, humble and a good bloke though.
Whenever I see him interviewed on the tv he seems very relaxed and well-spoken.
If he ends up captain I wouldnt be shocked. Team first player. Well spoken. Sensible. Good trainer. Rarely injured. Right age. And I think Scott's game plan has suited him. Especially the "switch". He loves cutting in from the side and being 3rd man in and taking a mark. He is also very good at getting across to receive because he is so fit. Probably between Sean and NDS.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

SainterK wrote:Sean captained on the weekend, so that's something....

I think they'd be willing to consider him for the role, but not convinced he'd seek it out.
When StB put out her recent list of important upcoming footy events, she inadvertently left off one of the most important...

The Sainter Kloud annointing. :D

I understand from impeccable sources (which of course in SS tradition I can't reveal :wink: ) that many 'less established' Saintas players are also hanging out for this sure-fire vindicating of their fooball careers.

I'm a believer, and I too am awaiting this year's prognostication. Stanley, Siposs, Big Bad (but beaut) Beau, or...?

Almost worth it's own awards night, or at least a slot at the B&F... :idea:

PS: Still love that new avatar K. :D
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Tue 04 Sep 2012 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Well, I'm embarrased to admit that I was calling for him to be culled along with Macwalter and Eddy. I felt they were Ross Lyon's negative players who lacked skill. Guess I got that wrong.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sean had an excellent year. I note that he is in eighth position, both in the coaches votes, and Saintsational votes. I think he has done better than that, But no way will he be challenging Lenny for the B&F. Maybe about 5th.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

just noticed the fluffy clouds.
awesome work K. :)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dempster and Armo should be co-captains. Anyone that disagrees hasn't got a clue.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I liked how Armo sat next to SW in the presser on the weekend. Was calm and articulate.

Dempster and Armo would work because Armo could do most of the media stuff and Dempster could do most of the behind the scenes stuff. I've heard he is very good around the club.

Anniex

Does the co-captain approach really work? Not sure about this, but definitely in favour of the rotating captaincy, which gives every player something aspire to and prevents an unreasonable burden on one bloke year in, year out. Particularly in this era of intense media demands.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Anniex wrote:Does the co-captain approach really work? Not sure about this, but definitely in favour of the rotating captaincy, which gives every player something aspire to and prevents an unreasonable burden on one bloke year in, year out. Particularly in this era of intense media demands.

Yeah I didn't mind the rotating captaincy thing either. I think it's time we either bought it back or selected co-captains.

I really think Dempster would grow into it if he was given the responsibility and Armo would certainly grab it with both hands given the responsibility.

You could also have co-captains with a guy like say Dempster or Dal and then rotate younger guys like Armo, Steven and Sipo until eventually you find a guy that can take the job soley. We should be doing it while we are rebuilding.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Anniex wrote:Does the co-captain approach really work? Not sure about this, but definitely in favour of the rotating captaincy, which gives every player something aspire to and prevents an unreasonable burden on one bloke year in, year out. Particularly in this era of intense media demands.

Yeah I didn't mind the rotating captaincy thing either. I think it's time we either bought it back or selected co-captains.

I really think Dempster would grow into it if he was given the responsibility and Armo would certainly grab it with both hands given the responsibility.

You could also have co-captains with a guy like say Dempster or Dal and then rotate younger guys like Armo, Steven and Sipo until eventually you find a guy that can take the job soley. We should be doing it while we are rebuilding.

I thought you were joking about Armo but i really think you are serious. I reckon he is about 10th in line.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I thought you were joking about Armo but i really think you are serious. I reckon he is about 10th in line.
Name the 9 in front of him.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Dempster and Armo should be co-captains. Anyone that disagrees hasn't got a clue.
You've caught one fish so far. Well done.

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Roo, Dal, Joey, BJ, Ben, Dempster, Chips, Geary, Gilbert, Gwilt and Schneider. Thats 11. Didnt include Lenny or Milney.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Dempster and Armo should be co-captains. Anyone that disagrees hasn't got a clue.
Not fishing at all. I think they would make great co-captains. If you gave those two the responsibility I think they would take it. Dempster is at the end of his career but I think he embodies what leadership at the club should be about, TEAM. He does the job quietly and leads by example. With the combining of the co-captain and rotating concept you could have in one postion the a guy like Dempster as the elder statesman and the other postion is the rotating postion, i.e. the trial postion, or rotating postion if you like. And for a team that is in a transition phase like the Saints you could keep this policiy until there was an absolute standout candiate that could take it over on his own.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Not fishing at all. I think they would make great co-captains. If you gave those two the responsibility I think they would take it. Dempster is at the end of his career but I think he embodies what leadership at the club should be about, TEAM. He does the job quietly and leads by example. With the combining of the co-captain and rotating concept you could have in one postion the a guy like Dempster as the elder statesman and the other postion is the rotating postion, i.e. the trial postion, or rotating postion if you like. And for a team that is in a transition phase like the Saints you could keep this policiy until there was an absolute standout candiate that could take it over on his own.
OK. I believe you now.

Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Roo, Dal, Joey, BJ, Ben, Dempster, Chips, Geary, Gilbert, Gwilt and Schneider. Thats 11. Didnt include Lenny or Milney.
My proposal is based on finding a future captain that will be part of the next generation/flag tilt so I'll go through you list based on that theory:

Roo. Is part of the past generation
Dal. Aggree, but would be one half of a co-captaincy, Armo or Steven the other
Joey. Is part of the past generation
BJ, I think you are joking
Chips, Is part of the past generation
Gilbert, mmm, possibly
Geary, yep could be a co captain for sure
Gwilt, yep could be a co captain
Snides, I think you are joking
Lenny and Milney part of the last decade

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

My proposal is based on finding a future captain that will be part of the next generation/flag tilt so I'll go through you list based on that theory:

Gilbert, mmm, possibly
Now you mention Jack. Now i know you are having a lend. If Jack went back to Lorne I doubt he would captain them. Certain players will never be captain. Dont know about Armo but Jack is surely a joke. Think Armo is behind many as well. Anyway next years captain will be Rooy or BJ if he stays so it really doesnt matter what we think.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just heard Rooeys talk at the nab rising star - have to say i find him terribly unimpressive as a public speaker. Just drops the high school footy captain cliches and drones on. He is a leader on field though.
Still reckon Sean, NDS or Gwilt could do the job next year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gilbert, mmm, possibly
Now you mention Jack. Now i know you are having a lend. If Jack went back to Lorne I doubt he would captain them. Certain players will never be captain. Dont know about Armo but Jack is surely a joke. Think Armo is behind many as well. Anyway next years captain will be Rooy or BJ if he stays so it really doesnt matter what we think.
Yeah Roo will probably be Captain next year but I will bet my left testicle that BJ will never be captain of our club. He's not captain material and because of that fact we would lose so much respect as a club if we gave BJ the captaincy. Giving players the captaincy as part of an incentive to stay at the club is what we used to do in the 80s and that is all it would be seen as.