A Good Horse Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

A Good Horse Trade

Here's my take on the Tom Lee deal. We give up first round pick 12 but get a really promising forward who can take a contested mark and maybe has the potential for greatness plus picks 24 and 43. i reckon we will use and probably only need pick 24 to get Hickey so that's two for the price of one and we're still entitled to be compensated for BJ with a first round pick. We do a straight swap of Cripps for Mitch Brown and all of a sudden Pelchen and Watters are looking like geniuses. Maybe a small understatement. It's still a pretty good deal on any level. Now to figure out a way to skin those Cats and get Caddy across the line.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Good Horse Trade

I want Calquhoun with that 24. I would give a later pick for him, he's a potential player not a gun Hickey. Calquhoun gets 30+ possies as a rebounding back, he will be incredible in a few years.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Already a thread on this topic with plenty of discussion of discussion going on...maybe you missed it...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78254

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Furphy
Club Player

Tom Lee was originally drafted by Adelaide at pick #60 and didn't get a game, I hope this works out...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:Tom Lee was originally drafted by Adelaide at pick #60 and didn't get a game, I hope this works out...
Stevie Milne was originally drafted by Essendon with rookie pick 23 (effectively pick #116) and couldn't get a game for them, how'd that work out?

bergsone
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Furphy wrote:Tom Lee was originally drafted by Adelaide at pick #60 and didn't get a game, I hope this works out...
Stevie Milne was originally drafted by Essendon with rookie pick 23 (effectively pick #116) and couldn't get a game for them, how'd that work out?

simple...some make it,some dont :|

SaintSimmo
Club Player

He was also 17 at the time.......

Not many 17/18 year old key forwards get a game.

He said himself he wasn't mature enough at the time both physically and mentally.

Sainter for life.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
bergholt wrote:
simple...some make it,some dont :|
Yup. And that's got very little to do with which draft pick they were originally taken at, so I don't see why we'd worry about the pick #60 thing years later.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is this about Longmire getting Tippet?

savatage
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
That's not right. Milne was on Essendon's supplementary list in the VFL, he had no tie to Essendon aside from the fact that they had a big hard look at him. They overlooked him when they had a spot on the list available (it was between him and one other player who escapes me). So they overlooked him, we rookied him and the rest is history.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Is this about Longmire getting Tippet?
:D

Furphy
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

With that logic, why don't we draft the full-forward playing for Hastings? He must be as good as John Coleman. :lol:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Furphy wrote:
bergholt wrote:
With that logic, why don't we draft the full-forward playing for Hastings? He must be as good as John Coleman. :lol:
Hi Furph, I for one am very excited about our Tom Lee. The guy we picked up is not the same Tom Lee whom you write about above.

The Adelaide Lee, from all reports I've read was a skinny young kid, a minimium aged recruit, who was a bit overawed by the AFL experience, who for whatever reason/s didn't display the necessary work aptitude, and who suffered poisoning from trying to drink brown sludge from Adelaide taps.

Our Tom Lee is bigger, stronger, more experienced, more confident, the penny has dropped re the need to put in the work, and he has been successfully detoxed.

PS: We did actually pick up the Hastings FC's part-time full forward. He too was a rare talent and could really play! Performed some Coleman-esque stuff out on the footy field, but lacked Coleman's attitude... hence ultimately ended up an unfullfiled talent. IMHO, tatts and serial silly hairdos didn't help either...
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Wed 31 Oct 2012 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Furphy
Club Player

Lee certainly looks great in the highlight clip & it would be great if he lives up to expectations. I'm still peeved over the Paddy Guinane fiasco and what might have been if Ian Stewart was in our side in the '71 GF... If 'ifs & buts' were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Furphy wrote:Lee certainly looks great in the highlight clip & it would be great if he lives up to expectations. I'm still peeved over the Paddy Guinane fiasco and what might have been if Ian Stewart was in our side in the '71 GF... If 'ifs & buts' were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!
There's a bloke on BigFooty who has done a numerical analysis of the 'real' value of trades. It's very interesting stuff & is worth a look;

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/t ... t-26263896

andrewg
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Furphy wrote:Lee certainly looks great in the highlight clip & it would be great if he lives up to expectations. I'm still peeved over the Paddy Guinane fiasco and what might have been if Ian Stewart was in our side in the '71 GF... If 'ifs & buts' were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!
There's a bloke on BigFooty who has done a numerical analysis of the 'real' value of trades. It's very interesting stuff & is worth a look;

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/t ... t-26263896
This is great!

rexy
SS Life Member

Thanks for posting that, an interesting read. Wonder if we have taken a mathematical approach, that's 2 years in a row we have taken a similar approach to trading! American sports have Ben trading Draft picks and have had free agency to consider whilst banning their salary cap, I wonder if their is published ino on this type of equation already!

Maybe this year?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Thanks for posting that, an interesting read. Wonder if we have taken a mathematical approach, that's 2 years in a row we have taken a similar approach to trading! American sports have Ben trading Draft picks and have had free agency to consider whilst banning their salary cap, I wonder if their is published ino on this type of equation already!

Moneyball for nerds?

rexy
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
rexy wrote:Thanks for posting that, an interesting read. Wonder if we have taken a mathematical approach, that's 2 years in a row we have taken a similar approach to trading! American sports have Ben trading Draft picks and have had free agency to consider whilst banning their salary cap, I wonder if their is published ino on this type of equation already!

Moneyball for nerds?
Yeah something like that :D lol.

Maybe this year?