Shane Nelson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Shane Nelson

WEST Perth midfielder Shane Nelson was the standout performer at the WA 2012 NAB AFL Combine on Sunday, boosting his draft chances one year after surprisingly being overlooked.

It was expected Nelson would be recruited in the second round of the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, but an illness suffered on the eve of last year's combine saw him lose 7kg, limiting his involvement in the testing.

He was passed over, despite a near perfect score of 29 out of 30 in the Nathan Buckley kicking test, and played the majority of his football this year with West Perth in the WAFL, averaging 25 disposals.

On Sunday, the hard-running midfielder posted outstanding times in the 20m sprint (2.82sec), agility test (7.85sec) and repeat sprints (24.31sec) to remind recruiters of his credentials.

His 20m sprint time was the second quickest recorded around the country this year, just shy of the 2.81sec recorded by Calder Cannons speedster Adam Saad at the national combine.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Finds the ball, can kick and is a quick bugger. Great draft prospect!!

Sainter for life.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shane Nelson

I don't quite understand why guys like this don't get picked up even very late in the draft? Surely we could have taken a risk with this bloke last year at pick 109…

elite kicking, lightning fast, great agility, ball magnet - NO THANKS, sounds awful - :shock:

there must be something wrong for all clubs to pass up on him last year…?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Interesting that some of us a raving about Toby STEVENS collecting an average of 20 dispposals in the WAFL. This guy has great break away speed and averaged 25 disposals being 2 years younger. I dont know what happened last year but he is definitely worth grabbing this year, he and Tommy LEE can bunk together.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
busso mick
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Interesting that some of us a raving about Toby STEVENS collecting an average of 20 dispposals in the WAFL. This guy has great break away speed and averaged 25 disposals being 2 years younger. I dont know what happened last year but he is definitely worth grabbing this year, he and Tommy LEE can bunk together.
He played probably his best game for the year last season only days after his father passed away.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Some slip through the cracks. I don't know enough about him but the stats look ok.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Looks like he dOminated the wafl at 19. Will be picked up relatively early. I hope by us. Less risky than an 18 year old who has only been tested against juniors