Who gives a stuff?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Who gives a stuff?

Why is everyone so obsessed that a player must be recruited as an Under 18? Seriously who gives a stuff if the best player for us is playing Key back in Vermonts seniors and not for the Calder Cannons. I honestly can't believe some of the uneducated opinions of people in regard to the recruitment of LEE and HICKEY simply based on the fact there 21 not 18. I also can't understand the negativity of some to posters suggesting we look at players like Lucas Cook for basically the same reason he's not 18 he's all of 20. These are all kids and kids develope and respond differantly and a lot of it is due to enviroment. I don't know Cook but I can only guess that running around with Riewoldt at traing would be far more invigorating than running aroung with Sellers, Watts or Dunn. So if our recruiting staff see enough in this young 196cm key position player with elite footskills I'm more than happy to have a crack.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who gives a stuff?

I dont know what others have said but I havent read many saying we shouldnt have got Hickey and Lee. It was the price we paid that some where upset about. As for Cook i dont think running around with Rooy helps at all. We still had plenty of champs back in 2000 and 2001 but some players just werent good enough. i have no idea about Cook but no games in 2 years at a lowly club that played many players suggests he has a lot of issues. We are here to comment. Obviously if the club will know more and if they recruit him then hopefully it is the right decision.

The problem i have is I think you have to back your recruiting staff to find a gem and the less picks you have the less chance they have. I will say it again. You need stars to climb the ladder. Our stars are aging quickly and GOPS wont improve us.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont know what others have said but I havent read many saying we shouldnt have got Hickey and Lee. It was the price we paid that some where upset about. As for Cook i dont think running around with Rooy helps at all. We still had plenty of champs back in 2000 and 2001 but some players just werent good enough. i have no idea about Cook but no games in 2 years at a lowly club that played many players suggests he has a lot of issues. We are here to comment. Obviously if the club will know more and if they recruit him then hopefully it is the right decision.

The problem i have is I think you have to back your recruiting staff to find a gem and the less picks you have the less chance they have. I will say it again. You need stars to climb the ladder. Our stars are aging quickly and GOPS wont improve us.
I know what your saying and I only used Cook as an example. My point is basically that a player doesnt have to be from the Under 18's comp to be any good. Why are people obsessed about unproven 18 year olds.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Of course you need stars to climb the ladder - the question is how to get them?

1 bottom out take ure luck at the draft?
2 stay competitive, look for solid players, keep you cap low and raid using free agency?

These appear to be obvious methods - probably are others also.

We have decided on 2 IMO - I don't expect Lee/Hickey will be Buddy or Cox but I do pray they are v good players

It's our midfield stars that worry me...I don't see a Hayes/Dal among them

“Yeah….nah””
saint3d
Club Player

Teflon wrote:It's our midfield stars that worry me...I don't see a Hayes/Dal among them
We have exactly one of each!

But seriously, I agree we can't expect Lee and Hickey to be superstars, but there is definitely potential. Any kid in the draft has the same potential, but at least these two should slot into the side from round one, so we won't have the usual two-year wait to find out if they're up to it.

Hickey could be anything, but it's Lee that excites me. When did we last have a full forward than led the club's goal kicking tally?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

interesting article......gives a bit of prospective

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 28b79.html

"One unfortunate fact that the trades and free agency exposed was the difficulty weaker teams and clubs have in persuading players to join them, and the premium that those clubs pay. Port Adelaide, for instance, has given Angus Monfries four years on about $1.5 million. Had he stayed at Essendon, he would be on a two-year deal for far less. Most clubs reckon the Demons paid ''overs'' for Dawes.

And it was not surprising that Mitch Brown was so keen to become a Saint; not only would he have slotted in at full-back, Brown was to be given more than $400,000 a year over the next four years. He isn't in West Coast's best team.

Conversely, the Hawks have purchased an admittedly declining Lake for what is believed to be less than $650,000 over two years. There is not a ''price'' for loyalty, but a price for success. The AFL must watch the free agency market closely.

The new, liberalised system saw 35 players change clubs, a massive increase on last year's 17. The vast majority, of course, were the unwanted minnows. Carlton, normally a predator, chose not to participate in the recycling of fringe players on the grounds that it only wanted players such as Travis Cloke who could have a major impact."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con does. He's been saying that for two years

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote: Hickey could be anything, but it's Lee that excites me. When did we last have a full forward than led the club's goal kicking tally?
Gehrig

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
saint3d wrote: Hickey could be anything, but it's Lee that excites me. When did we last have a full forward than led the club's goal kicking tally?
Gehrig
we didn't pick him up as a U18 as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Gehrig
we didn't pick him up as a U18 as well.
Yeah and thats why he was never any good for us. :roll:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont know what others have said but I havent read many saying we shouldnt have got Hickey and Lee. It was the price we paid that some where upset about. As for Cook i dont think running around with Rooy helps at all. We still had plenty of champs back in 2000 and 2001 but some players just werent good enough. i have no idea about Cook but no games in 2 years at a lowly club that played many players suggests he has a lot of issues. We are here to comment. Obviously if the club will know more and if they recruit him then hopefully it is the right decision.

I know what your saying and I only used Cook as an example. My point is basically that a player doesnt have to be from the Under 18's comp to be any good. Why are people obsessed about unproven 18 year olds.

Agreed people close their minds to different approaches and then use selective evidence to back their opinions. Some players are unlucky to be at a poor club at the wrong time. Cook might still be there if they had a stable club. I think Neeld is actually taking the piss weak approach and blaming 2nd year players and doing a full rebuild from scratch which buys him time after his game plan took them so far backwards it's not funny. Some people had the dees above us in the preseason predictions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Agreed people close their minds to different approaches and then use selective evidence to back their opinions. Some players are unlucky to be at a poor club at the wrong time. Cook might still be there if they had a stable club. I think Neeld is actually taking the piss weak approach and blaming 2nd year players and doing a full rebuild from scratch which buys him time after his game plan took them so far backwards it's not funny. Some people had the dees above us in the preseason predictions.

So gringo you watch Melbourne train, you see this guys attitude and see him play often? Funny but isnt Crocker a second year player?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So gringo you watch Melbourne train, you see this guys attitude and see him play often? Funny but isnt Crocker a second year player?

Cook was a highly rated potential KPP not a rangy left footer worth a late punt as rookie mid. He went high in the draft because he was a very good junior player. The first round picks usually get a few more years to prove themselves. I had Goddard pegged as the worst number 1 pick in history after his second season and am glad to say I was a little off with that one. Big guys don't usually waltz in and take the comp by storm in the first couple of years. Not many stars yet from his draft year either as they haven't got the miles in their legs yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So gringo you watch Melbourne train, you see this guys attitude and see him play often? Funny but isnt Crocker a second year player?

Cook was a highly rated potential KPP not a rangy left footer worth a late punt as rookie mid. He went high in the draft because he was a very good junior player. The first round picks usually get a few more years to prove themselves. I had Goddard pegged as the worst number 1 pick in history after his second season and am glad to say I was a little off with that one. Big guys don't usually waltz in and take the comp by storm in the first couple of years. Not many stars yet from his draft year either as they haven't got the miles in their legs yet.

Funny that you missed the first question. Do you actually think Neeld would get rid of guy after 2 years and being a high draft pick if there wasnt some issues?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Funny that you missed the first question. Do you actually think Neeld would get rid of guy after 2 years and being a high draft pick if there wasnt some issues?
I don't have to watch to know that he's having a clean out to cover his poor coaching. Funny how the idiot coach they had was dumped because he couldn't get the group building quick enough, now they are going for a ground up rebuild again. Sure he mustn't like what he sees all through the club but what does he expect from a second year player? I don't really care if he never gets a go at another club, but to say there is something wrong with him is a little rich without you watching their training to form your rigid opinion.

Dal Santo and milne got sent to Casey and came back better players and as seniors probably needed to do more but it looks to me like Neeld is panicking and setting them back further.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I don't have to watch to know that he's having a clean out to cover his poor coaching. Funny how the idiot coach they had was dumped because he couldn't get the group building quick enough, now they are going for a ground up rebuild again. Sure he mustn't like what he sees all through the club but what does he expect from a second year player? I don't really care if he never gets a go at another club, but to say there is something wrong with him is a little rich without you watching their training to form your rigid opinion.

Dal Santo and milne got sent to Casey and came back better players and as seniors probably needed to do more but it looks to me like Neeld is panicking and setting them back further.

So you have absolutely no facts and he has all the facts but he is still wrong. Yep easy to argue with that logic. Have no idea why you mentioned Dal and Milney.

Yaysaints
Club Player

Perhaps we can invite him to train with us and judge for ourselves.