Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

Seeing it's the off season I thought we could share some of the more bizarre Saints memories we have.

I remember standing on the wing at Carlton one day in the early 80's, watching the Saints playing the blues. The ball was kicked out wide to the Saints player, Glenn Middlemiss, who had the whole wing to himself. He looked upfield, saw a single Carlton player running at him, and knew that he only had to beat him to run to the half forward line and shoot at goal.

Glenn being presumably a lateral thinker, chose a novel way to do this. Aware that he didn't have the pace to baulk around his approaching opponent, he waited until the Carlton player was upon him.......then handballed the ball straight to him, and went for the tackle.

I don't know who was more surprised, the Carlton player or the crowd.

The Carlton player accepted the handball and did a beautiful blind turn, Glenn went for the tackle.......and missed.

The ball went straight down the other end for a Carlton goal.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

oh when the
Club Player

Re: Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

stewie loewe marking in goal square against fitzroy

at princes park and passing it backwards.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

oh when the wrote:stewie loewe marking in goal square against fitzroy

at princes park and passing it backwards.
:D

I loved Stewart Loewe but there were times when I expected him to mark the ball in the goal square and handball it on, on to anyone.......

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ahh .......sitting meters away when Stewie kicked his own face in- I thought he was dead.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

THAT game against Brisbane in 2004

Before the game, there was a drunk guy slurring, leaning over the boundary, retro Saints jumper, giving it big licks about how Brisbane were soft, piss weak, god awful, their Premierships were tainted, Michael Voss was a cheating ranga...

Mid flow, he leans over to keep his spray up, and Martin Pike, Mal Michael and Brown dog jog past him doing some stretches and give him a glare that would stop your watch. Our hero then froze on the spot, and said nothing and sat down quietly, only to cop a "ease up mate" from Brown Dog. Ease up he did...

Also, 2002, the draw with Sydney, running into an extremely pissed Bobby Skilton, while holding a Viking helmet (freely given out as a promotion for Viking chocolate bars) who I gladly gave my helmet to in exchange for a very shaky autograph. Then, being American, after Daniel Wulf (insert several swear words in the middle of that name that night!) hit the post, waiting around for Overtime...the battleaxes/very nice old ladies I was with were most amused...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Loewey getting fined for shaking the goal post.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

X Clarke being so excited he forgot his shorts- after he waas given permission to wear the #3 -
had to borrow some from the interchange player who may have been a former #`14 who then had to find others to wear...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:X Clarke being so excited he forgot his shorts- after he waas given permission to wear the #3 -
had to borrow some from the interchange player who may have been a former #`14 who then had to find others to wear...

I'll play your game again. Was 14 Jimmy Odea or warren Buffett?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The night the lights went out at waverley and the fans went feral burning s***. I couldn't find my car for about 2 hours afterwards.

Q-TRAIN
Club Player

First game i ever took my then girlfriend (now wife) to was that game against the Bris Bears at VFL Park when there was that wild hail storm.
Her 2nd game was the Lights going out at Waverly.
She doesnt go to the footy anymore :lol: :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The night the lights went out at waverley and the fans went feral burning s***. I couldn't find my car for about 2 hours afterwards.
You must have been drunk, the lights worked in the carpark.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:X Clarke being so excited he forgot his shorts- after he waas given permission to wear the #3 -
I'll play your game again. Was 14 Jimmy Odea or warren Buffett?
Did Warren wear the number 14? :o

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

My all time favourite which I can't ever seeing being topped, is still that we copped the first ever VFL fine for turning up late for our first ever VFL game. Gotta love that! :lol:

But such stirring efforts don't just happen... they require practice...
1879 the Club slipped to its lowest ebb and after the side failed to turn up for a game at Essendon, all further matches were abandoned.

Proof of the team's quixotic nature came in the last season it played in the VFA, when several top players missed the Collingwood game because they chose to go to the races instead!

Internal bickering rocked the Club in 1909 and it was reflected in the on-field performance. Such was the desperation for a win that a suspended man was used in the win over Geelong. The blue and whites protested and the game was awarded to them.

http://www.saints.com.au/a%20history%20 ... fault.aspx
My least favourite... :cry: :cry: :cry:

One goal till 3/4 time in the 1913 grannie... reportedly due to hitting the post-game champers..., pre-game. :oops:

Sobered up for a big last quarter though...
It was St Kilda's first ever Grand Final appearance and they struggled early, not kicking a goal until the third quarter. A last quarter burst from St Kilda got them within a point when George Morrissey goaled. A mark to Des Baird in the goal square, on a slight angle, looked like giving the Saints the lead but he handpassed it to Morrissey who was covered by his opponent and he could only snap a behind. :shock:
Two late goals to Fitzroy sealed the game. :cry:

Fitzroy 3.6 4.8 5.11 7.14 (56)
St Kilda 0.1 0.5 1.10 5.13 (43)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_VFL_Grand_Final

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mildurasaint
Club Player

Can't remember exactly what year it was, but went to a game at Waverley with my dad who was a Swans supporter. Suddenly playing for us that day were Paul Morwood and Silvio Foschini who had just transferred from the Swans to the Saints mid season through some loophole we found or something.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Around 1994, Chris Hollow came around my place for dinner...he was a mate of my housemate. He was a cool dude but had no knowledge of the Saints compared to me. I kept talking about the heroes of the past and he had little interest - not surprised he never really made it, despite much talent. I still have a signed jumper out the back somewhere and am willing to flog it off for the best offer, which is currently $2.50. I worked out at this time that supporters care far more than the players, well some at least.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
mildurasaint
Club Player

Went to a Saints game at Moorabbin in the early eighties and there were so few people at the game we actually sat down on the terraces in the outer to watch the game, when every other game before that we had to stand up to watch. Not sure, but I reckon it might have been the same game where Milan Faletic came on at half time or something and actually created a bit of spark to a pretty boring game.
Last edited by mildurasaint on Sat 01 Dec 2012 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
gringo wrote:The night the lights went out at waverley and the fans went feral burning s***. I couldn't find my car for about 2 hours afterwards.
You must have been drunk, the lights worked in the carpark.

No just couldn't find my car because I lost it, just a great night we sat waiting to find out if the next game would be announced and nothing happened but people went nuts. I don't know what lights you remember but they must have been pretty rudimentary at the best of times and that car park didn't have many landmarks. I took my brother and his girlfriend from overseas to that game - she got a good one for her first AFL game. Didn't become a fan though.

Another time out there a score board caught fire. Waverley was my era didn't miss many games out there and plenty of times struggled with the car park if you didn't lose your car you would get stuck in the traffic, bogged or sent towards dandenong by some over zealous traffic cop. It was awesomely crap waverley.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The night I recognised a player out at the lounge in the city and got talking to him I think his name was Brad Campbell, he'd just got the sack and was freaking me out with his depressed ranting as he downed about 40 beers. It was a bit weird and intense.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The night I recognised a player out at the lounge in the city and got talking to him I think his name was Brad Campbell, he'd just got the sack and was freaking me out with his depressed ranting as he downed about 40 beers. It was a bit weird and intense.

He loved a beer Brad. He was emergency in a final for us up in Sydney in the mid 2000's and he looked no hope of playing so the night before the game got on the piss with a few mates that were up there. Someone pulled out late the next day and so had to play. I think we may have lost by a point and Brad didnt do a lot due to a very bad hangover.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:The night I recognised a player out at the lounge in the city and got talking to him I think his name was Brad Campbell, he'd just got the sack and was freaking me out with his depressed ranting as he downed about 40 beers. It was a bit weird and intense.

He loved a beer Brad. He was emergency in a final for us up in Sydney in the mid 2000's and he looked no hope of playing so the night before the game got on the piss with a few mates that were up there. Someone pulled out late the next day and so had to play. I think we may have lost by a point and Brad didnt do a lot due to a very bad hangover.

he seemed to be pretty good at downing them that's for sure. I went alright in my day but he was impressive. He seemed like a good bloke, just not the night you want to be with someone who hangs around.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

mildurasaint wrote:Went to a Brisbane Bears versus Saints game at Moorabbin in the early eighties and there were so few people at the game we actually sat down on the terraces in the outer to watch the game, when every other game before that we had to stand up to watch. Not sure, but I reckon it might have been the same game where Milan Faletic came on at half time or something and actually created a bit of spark to a pretty boring game.
I think I remember the game you are talking about, but the Bears weren't around then (Faletics last year was 82, the Bears started a few years later).
I can't remember who it was against (Fitzroy or Footscray?) but my memory is that he came on at 3/4 time then had something like 22 touches in the last quarter. One of the strangest looking blokes to play for us.

Yaysaints
Club Player

The lights out night at Waverley wasn't a riot or mean spirited. We just got tired of waiting around while nothing happened. A few jumped the fence then a huge swell.
There were some who lit toilet paper in the central square. I remember seeing a bunch if guys carrying the point post. It was great fun.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Jeff Fehring at Moorabbin, the goal from behind the centre.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2F3YH2plI

GRAMophone
Club Player

Not so long ago I was quietly chuffed to realize I would be meeting one of the senior players in a professional capacity at work. About a week later was dismayed to reflect on what a difficult experience that had been :shock: :shock: :shock:

Will always remember the drawn G/F as one of my most bizarre (and ultimately soul destroying) Saints moments.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
happy feet
Club Player

I was brought up in a Saints family in East Bentleigh. Dad worked for the Club as a Gate attendant, from the 50's at the Junction Street Oval to the mid 80's at Morrabbin. Needless to say I knew who almost all the players were on sight. I was only about 4 or 5 and when in the car park of Safeway on the corner of Jasper and Centre Roads, with Mum, I spied Darrell Baldock. I yelled out at the top of my voice "look Mum its Baldy Baldock" as I used to call him. My Mother almost died, but the great man that he was, threw his head back and roared laughing, came over and ruffled my hair then went on.

Dad saw some bizarre things at the footy but this one is a classic. Dad hated Collingwood and especially their cheer squad. One day at the South Road end turnstyles, the Collingwood Cheer Squad wanted to come in early but Dad would not let them. They hurled a fair bit of abuse and started up this chant "do we like the man inside? NO!" My Father could not have cared less. Anyhow, he obviously had a plan as he closed and locked the big sliding entrance gates pretty quickly after the game was over and would not re-open them to allow the Pies cheersquad to take their banner poles and floggers out. They also could not get them through the one way turnstyle in the fence as they were too big. The only option they had was to throw them over the fence and half of their floggers got caught on the barbed wire and they had to rip them to shreds to get them off. It was classic. Dad 100 - Collingwood Cheer Squad - Nil.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.