Pitch for Mitch will continue- article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Pitch for Mitch will continue- article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6536440352

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters has signalled his determination to lure West Coast defender Mitch Brown to the club in 12 months after the recent aborted trade.

The Saints were desperate to recruit Brown, but an obstinate Eagles coaching panel refused, despite conceding they couldn't guarantee him a game next year.

In the end, a last-gasp deal looked likely to be struck until West Coast's nominal replacement - Essendon's Cale Hooker - decided against leaving Windy Hill.

Brown will be out of contract at the end of next year, and Watters revealed the Saints would have significant salary cap space.

Both Jason Gram - now departed - and veteran forward Justin Koschitzke are on hefty deals that expire after next season, with Brendon Goddard rejecting a three-year contract to make him St Kilda's highest earner. It means for the first time in his stint at St Kilda, Watters can afford a big fish.

"There is still work to do (on our list) but we feel better placed than 12 months ago, and at the end of next year we will be in a pretty aggressive position to potentially make further changes," he told the Herald Sun.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Loxton
Club Player

Re: Pitch for Mitch will continue- article

I hope all this waiting for him in particular is going to be worth it, Watters must really rate him. I havent seen anything of him to make an opinion.
A lot can happen in 12 months.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hope he is quoted incorrectly. Lets at least see how he goes next season and who else comes on. Half the problem this year was setting our sites on one contracted player. he isnt contracted next year but he may have a shocker or he may play 22 games and sign half way through the year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Hope he is quoted incorrectly. Lets at least see how he goes next season and who else comes on. Half the problem this year was setting our sites on one contracted player. he isnt contracted next year but he may have a shocker or he may play 22 games and sign half way through the year.
Who is to say its just one player we set our sights on? He may have just been the only one we rated who wanted to be in Saints colours next year...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hope he is quoted incorrectly. Lets at least see how he goes next season and who else comes on. Half the problem this year was setting our sites on one contracted player. he isnt contracted next year but he may have a shocker or he may play 22 games and sign half way through the year.
Who is to say its just one player we set our sights on? He may have just been the only one we rated who wanted to be in Saints colours next year...

Yes thats true but it is the only one we heard about and in the end we got no one. Why would we be worrying about him already for 2014? Its not like he is Scarlett or Fletcher.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There are positives & negatives in this article;

The positives are that the club is looking beyond 2013 with our list

The negatives are that its too early to be that specific and I'd prefer it to be kept "In House" until at least 1/2 way through 2013 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Haven't got a issue either way with this. It would look pretty stupid if after trying pretty hard over the off season to get Brown across to then a week or two later say we have no interest in him at the end of this year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There are positives & negatives in this article;

The negatives are that its too early to be that specific and I'd prefer it to be kept "In House" until at least 1/2 way through 2013 !!
Could be a subliminal message for Frawley :wink:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What you hope and what Scott hopes for are probably two different things. If you hoped that he was incorrectly quoted then there would be no basis for a story and I doubt the journos would be that far off the mark. Maybe you should have hoped that Caroline Wilson wrote the story as that would have supported your theory.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Eastern wrote:There are positives & negatives in this article;

Could be a subliminal message for Frawley :wink:
He's contracted for 2014

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Could be a subliminal message for Frawley :wink:
He's contracted for 2014
Well that's not going to stop him coming over according to some.

Brown was contracted for 2013 and we still had a crack.

Middo
Club Player

I'm sure the club would have more idea than you .... :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The problem with making our intentions so well known is that other clubs will more than likely put in dummy bids for him next year to inflate his price.
Anything more than a second round pick would be well overs for a bloke that is unproven & injury prone. Hope all that extra salary room we have doesn't get thrown at blokes like this who have done SFA.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I hope we look further than Mitch Brown. I doubt they would want to throw too much money at a bloke who can't get a senior game at his own club. Then again, as has been pointed out here, he might have a breakout year and raise his price accordingly.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
felix
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6536440352

STKILDA coach Scott Watters has signalled his determination to lure West Coast defender Mitch Brown to the club in 12 months after the recent aborted trade.

The Saints were desperate to recruit Brown, but an obstinate Eagles coaching panel refused, despite conceding they couldn't guarantee him a game next year.

In the end, a last-gasp deal looked likely to be struck until West Coast's nominal replacement - Essendon's Cale Hooker - decided against leaving Windy Hill.

Brown will be out of contract at the end of next year, and Watters revealed the Saints would have significant salary cap space.

Both Jason Gram - now departed - and veteran forward Justin Koschitzke are on hefty deals that expire after next season, with Brendon Goddard rejecting a three-year contract to make him St Kilda's highest earner. It means for the first time in his stint at St Kilda, Watters can afford a big fish.

"There is still work to do (on our list) but we feel better placed than 12 months ago, and at the end of next year we will be in a pretty aggressive position to potentially make further changes," he told the Herald Sun.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:

That's Grant Thomas you're talking to!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I am sure the club are still keeping a public level of interest in Brown in the media because they actually have an interest in him, and that's a great way to remind Mitch of our great interest and generous offer.

But has it occured to any of the geniuses on here, that we may want to keep media interest in this deal because it allows us to pursue other potential trade/recruit options out of the glare of the media spotlight?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I am sure the club are still keeping a public level of interest in Brown in the media because they actually have an interest in him, and that's a great way to remind Mitch of our great interest and generous offer.

But has it occured to any of the geniuses on here, that we may want to keep media interest in this deal because it allows us to pursue other potential trade/recruit options out of the glare of the media spotlight?
Yes, because the club is such a slick operation that… we offered 25, 26 & Cripps for the unproven Brown, then didn't draft a single KPD, mature or young, even though we are absolutely desperate for one.

Genius.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

This bloke better be a combination of Spud Frawley, SoS, Max, and Scarlett for all the effort our club is putting in to get him here, especially he cant crack a game with his current team.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Middo
Club Player

Stiil can't see why we did not take a punt on a young guy ( Nick Rodda type )....If he comes on we save coin and don't have to chase a Mitch Brown if he fails we get Brown..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

True Believer said...

" has it occured to any of the geniuses on here, that we may want to keep media interest in this deal because it allows us to pursue other potential trade/recruit options out of the glare of the media spotlight?"

I hope u r right TB, nice to know the club worked the media to benefit the club - given its' the make up stories season ( especially for the feral bum school of fictional journalism) it would be nice to learn later that the club had reversed the tables.

GOOD WORK TB! :wink:
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

will the pitch for Mitch be ditched?

Legendary
Club Player

Word is that we could have up to $1-1.2m to spend next year ... Brown might not be the only one we target.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:

Really. Who would have known. Surely you didnt waste 12 years of your life going to school to come up with that one. You are going to be writing that a few times if you are consistant. I am lucky though. you dont respect me. it gives me hope that I am a normal person. Pity those you do respect. They obviously have real issues.
Last edited by plugger66 on Fri 14 Dec 2012 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I still can't believe we were going to give up pick 24 and 25 for Mitch Brown. That would have been really dumb.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.