Collingwood?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Collingwood?

Wasn't there rumours of Collingwood having high levels of PE drugs in their system in 2010.

I'm sure it's unrelated by H Obrien is half the size he was that year these days not to mention half the player.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: Collingwood?

They recovered exceptionally well in the replay... as well as Lance used to after the mountain stages.

And the drug testers followed them to Arizona the following year.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

People could still say that our run of 19 straight games in 2009 was suspicious.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:People could still say that our run of 19 straight games in 2009 was suspicious.
Nah all due to master-coach!

andrewg
Club Player

It's amazing nothing was said then. I remember hearing strong rumours that a handful of players were being targeted and didnt Malthous heavily support sport scientists last year?

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... malthouse/

The quote that stands out from the article is...

"The league plans to reinforce club doctors’ superiority over high performance managers, after expressing a fear of doctors being continually overruled with regard to player welfare."

Did the league know then there was an issue??? I think they knew more than they wanted too....

SuperDuper
Club Player

the AFL will sweep the past under the rug if they possibly can (vey likely)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I've heard that ASADA regularly target-tests a group of players from a certain powerful Melbourne club and has been doing so since 2010.

We came so damned close that year. I'd be shattered if it was ever proven Collingwood was on the gear.

andrewg
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:I've heard that ASADA regularly target-tests a group of players from a certain powerful Melbourne club and has been doing so since 2010.

We came so damned close that year. I'd be shattered if it was ever proven Collingwood was on the gear.
+1

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

GF 1 was a titanic struggle !
One of the greatest matches ever . Historically teams that play an epic game , are often flat the next week !
We were flat , they weren't .

Why this was , who can say !

We can always speculate , but there the one's with the cookies .

In red white and black from 73
snowdelisaint
Club Player

Bring it

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Was swept under the table very quickly. Drug testers dont just follow and target clubs and players for no reason.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood 2010 (EPO? Peptides? or something similar)

Essendon 2000 (EPO)

WestCoast, their first year under Malthouse (anabolic steroids)

It's been going one for quite some time.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Wasn't there rumours of Collingwood having high levels of PE drugs in their system in 2010?
Rumours? How many rumours did you hear about Essendon and PEDs before the last week?

The rumour mill didn't exactly win on that front, so why should it be right on Collingwood?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6572994625

A GROUP of players from one of Victoria's biggest AFL teams has been the subject of extensive target-testing by Australia's anti-doping watchdog.

The club came to the attention of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency in about 2010 with as many as 12 players regularly tested since for performance enhancing drugs.

The club is not Essendon, at the centre of its own storm after 40 players are alleged to have taken supplements that could be illegal.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 08 Feb 2013 8:14am, edited 2 times in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood have a sophisticated media machine which is expert at shifting focus off any suspicious Collingwood behaviour- notice how much of their dirty laundry quickly disappears from view. Usually if there's any heat on Collingwood we quickly see a sensational story in the media about some other club or a player from another club appear from nowhere.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Collingwood have a sophisticated media machine which is expert at shifting focus off any suspicious Collingwood behaviour- notice how much of their dirty laundry quickly disappears from view. Usually if there's any heat on Collingwood we quickly see a sensational story in the media about some other club or a player from another club appear from nowhere.

Perfect example was the Milne v Malthouse exchange when Malthouse and Eddie both lied about what was said. Both Eddie and Mick where both made to look stupid for lying.

A week later Tony Jones a channel 9 employee and known Collingwood supporter and friend of Eds runs some over hyped beat up about police moving evidence. Of course this resulted in nothing but it moved the focus straight off Collingwood soley onto Milne.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BJ was tested as well...

I don't know.

There could of been something in the rumours, or it could of been as simple as the overwhelmed kids from the Pies weren't so daunted the following week.

They certainly are have been no where near the level they were since then, but that could be Buckley.

I actually think the AFL have been trying to find those guilty of enhancing their performance, but it may be impossible. I think they will need to overhaul the clubs sports science departments, and at least make sure they are accredited.

Dunno.

Dunno what to think anymore to be honest.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No wonder we can''t win flags.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I've heard that ASADA regularly target-tests a group of players from a certain powerful Melbourne club and has been doing so since 2010.

+1
+2

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
rexy
SS Life Member

Think it's rough to suggest pies have been no where near that level since! They were clearly the best side in 2011 but gone done in the GF and had a run of at least 10 wins last year! Not saying they couldn't have been on something, I have no way of knowing!
My take on GF 2 is that they got their tales up and we couldn't mentally lift again after the comeback and failure to capitalise the previous week/year!

Maybe this year?
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

.....I remember hearing that certain players registered elevated levels of Human Growth Hormone between the Grand Final & the Replay, but not in fact enough to be considered a positive test.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
spert wrote:Collingwood have a sophisticated media machine which is expert at shifting focus off any suspicious Collingwood behaviour- notice how much of their dirty laundry quickly disappears from view. Usually if there's any heat on Collingwood we quickly see a sensational story in the media about some other club or a player from another club appear from nowhere.

Perfect example was the Milne v Malthouse exchange when Malthouse and Eddie both lied about what was said. Both Eddie and Mick where both made to look stupid for lying.

A week later Tony Jones a channel 9 employee and known Collingwood supporter and friend of Eds runs some over hyped beat up about police moving evidence. Of course this resulted in nothing but it moved the focus straight off Collingwood soley onto Milne.
Another case is Collingwood in the s*** about players taking Illicit Drgus, week later Essendon embroiled in a PED affair, although that may be a coicidence, then again I don't think the Essendon story was meant to break as early as it did.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:

Another case is Collingwood in the s*** about players taking Illicit Drgus, week later Essendon embroiled in a PED affair, although that may be a coicidence, then again I don't think the Essendon story was meant to break as early as it did.

Could you imagine Eddie on Triple M if that was any other club but Collingwood.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Mark Robinson was going to run with a story on this during January of 2011 if my memory serves me correctly. However, it mysteriously never came about after he mentioned that he would be breaking it and to stay tuned.

The AFL are reaping what they sowed right now. They have turned a blind eye to this issue and covered it up to suit themselves. Their own poster child for the sport is on his 3rd strike (which is well known throughout the industry - so much for anonymity). This is the reason I don't have a lot of faith in the AFL and how they handle issues that arise. They tend to bury things that they don't want to upset their apple cart. I have a little more faith in the drug issue now that I know WADA/ASADA will be investigating. Not by much though.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Ice Wolf
Club Player

You know part of me would find it fitting if Collingwood ultimately got done for cheating because they dumped Essendon into the s*** to deflect from the Illicit drug issue.

The rest of me would be f****** pissed because we would have been cheated out a Premiership.