Defence 2013

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Defence 2013

Reading an article on Friday about the Dons in the Hun (no link sorry) they were talking about their desire to improve defensively. They had a table mentioning that the Bombers had conceded the least number of point in the nab cup.

Now, personally I think it is obvious that defence is the area that we need to improve on desperately this year. We were way too easy to score against in 2012.

I was really pleased to see that the Saints had conceded the third least number of points in the nab. Clearly this is an area that we are addressing and I thought it was visible in the practice games that i saw. Teams were having more trouble scoring against us, as opposed to the same time last year when sides would open us up and practically walk the ball over the line for a goal. This was a trend that continued throughout the season.

Defence is a team thing... individuals work together to make it hard to score. I'm really pleased with how it's looking, but can't put my finger on it... how is it working better? Or is it in my imagination?

If we can concede fewer than 90 this year we are a lock for finals. Can it be done? How?

Personally I think Stanley back is a great move, but would like to see a few more numbers in general back there and more than anything toughness at the ball ala 09 come back. And keeping with our blistering 2012 attack as well. :D

groupie1
Club Player

Re: Defence 2013

After seeing Stanley and Ferguson play D in a NAB game, I thought there was a distinct possibility we may have found two young tall Ds, as Collingwood did in Reid and whats-his-name. Both looked really composed, got the fists in.
I'm looking at a hopeful Stanley and Ferguson manning up the two talls, with Gwilt, Siposs and Dempster - three beautiful long kicks - exiting the ball over the press, and forward. I am cautiously bullish on the Saints this year. No room for Gilbert. Geary, Ferguson, Dempster, Siposs, Stanley, Simpkin, Fisher, Gwilt back line.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
noob
Club Player

Also in that paper we had the 3rd best defence in the last 9-10 years.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

We are up there in everything in the last 10 years, but no bloody flags! Its gut wrenching!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss