We have a genuine good un.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

We have a genuine good un.

If I took the general tenor of tonight's post game stuff, I'd fair dinkum slash my wrists. But, being a buzzard who likes to look forward, I'd like to say how rapt I am in Nathan Wright.

For an 18 or 19 y.o. kid to meet Travis Cloke head on, pick him up and dump him on his arse when he had the ball, as Wright did, earns my respect. Cloke should have been nailed for incorrect blah, blah.

Later, when the pill came forward to Wright and Krakouer (the crim), Bwuce had it almost out of his dacks for a spanking in anticipation of the thug's experience prevailing. End result? The kid beat him and ran away from him with the ball in hand.

This kid is gonna be an absolute gun. He's hard, quick, talented and absolutely manic. In 2 or 3 years time he'll be a midfielder and the whole competition will be wondering just how good he can become.

I'm f***ing tellin' ya - this kid can play.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have a genuine good un.

Along with Roberton he has been a real "find" this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Greg T
Club Player

Really impressive ,will be a great player for us...good post
Roberton the other one for me.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was supposed to be a poor kick but he hits most targets better than our experienced players. He's got the goods to be a gun. He did one play in his highlights reel that got me excited- ran between two players and emerged with the ball moving so fast they looked confused. It was Judd like. I can't wait to see him become a player.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Really impressive ,will be a great player for us...good post
Roberton the other one for me.
Roberton has exceeded my expectations and been good, very good tonight. But, he's been in the system for 4 or 5 odd years.

Nathan Wright's played 4 games and is in his 1st year at the level. To confront Cloke and dump him on his arse stamps the kid.

I'm tellin' ya, the drafting of Nathan Wright will finish up being the best thing we've done since the early naughties (not that there was much to get excited about from '08 -'10).

I just love watching the kid play, already.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He was supposed to be a poor kick but he hits most targets better than our experienced players. He's got the goods to be a gun. He did one play in his highlights reel that got me excited- ran between two players and emerged with the ball moving so fast they looked confused. It was Judd like. I can't wait to see him become a player.
The knock on his kicking was over the short distances, primarily. His Stingray's coach poo-hooed the knock, and said his only real problem was he didn't steady up enough when he tore packs apart, and tended to miss short targets 'cos he was going too quick.

That shortcoming is not unusual for a kid and extraordinarily easy to fix. We're already seeing how well he's learning - through the middle early and hits Roo on the button.

I love this kid (not in a Catholic priest sense) - he's gonna be a star.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. Totally agree. The way he ran rings around Krakouer was great to see. Has the potential to be a star of the comp. in a few years.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I also agree.
A also like the look of Ross as well. Very good in traffic and good skills as well.
We need to pump games into them and let them develop.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

That pass he made in the second quarter, at full pace, onto Roo's chest..........

He could be a star.

Another kid that nacks himself. Burned krakour.....fifth game.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

it's great to see that we have a couple of guns on the way. I love both Wright's and Roberton's run and attack on the ball. More please.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin 23....... Ferguson 20 ......Geary 25

Roberton 22...... Stanley 23........ Wright 19

Newnes 20 ........ Armitage 25 ..... Webster 19

Siposs 21 ......... White 18 ........ Milera 25

Hickey 22 ...... Lee 22 ......,..... Saad 23

McEvoy............. Ross 20............ Steven 24

Minchington 20 .... Murdoch 19....... Saunders 19..... Markworth 21

Dunnell 23 ...... Curran 21 ...... Staley 20...... Lever 20..... Pierce 19...... Ledger 22

How does that team compare to the GC/GWS??

Not as bad as once thought, gone from a list devoid of kids, to a list full of kids..... I reckon there is 12 definite players

White, Markworth, Newnes, Siposs, Wright, Stanley, Steven possibly the pick of the talent

lloyd21
Club Player

Agree

McEvoy is only a baby in the Ruck.

MrCordz
Club Player

[quote=

I love this kid (not in a Catholic priest sense) - he's gonna be a star.[/quote]

Ha ha ha

Humbly St. Kilda
busso mick
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:
gringo wrote:He was supposed to be a poor kick but he hits most targets better than our experienced players. He's got the goods to be a gun. He did one play in his highlights reel that got me excited- ran between two players and emerged with the ball moving so fast they looked confused. It was Judd like. I can't wait to see him become a player.
The knock on his kicking was over the short distances, primarily. His Stingray's coach poo-hooed the knock, and said his only real problem was he didn't steady up enough when he tore packs apart, and tended to miss short targets 'cos he was going too quick.

That shortcoming is not unusual for a kid and extraordinarily easy to fix. We're already seeing how well he's learning - through the middle early and hits Roo on the button.

I love this kid (not in a Catholic priest sense) - he's gonna be a star.
How do you stop a young bloke running too fast? Maybe sew some weights into his jumper (like Black Caviar) :D

I agree it is a very impressive debut season from young Wright, the most exciting by a Saint for a long time. Also when the melee was on against Essendon he didn't take a backward step and stood up for himself and his team was a good indicator of his mettle. Full points to our recruiters on this gem.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Wright's tearaway style and long kicks seemed to be the blueprint for last night's gameplan. Very impressed with him (again). I predict that, based on last night's effort, that Seb Ross will become and automatic inclusion by the second half of the season. Newnes was teriffic in the first half and anybody who doubted the recruiting of Roberton should be cast in bronze and placed inside the entrance of Luna Park. I will not be microwaving my 2013 membership as I getting enjoyment from watching the rapid transition from and old to a much younger team. Thirty years ago me and a mate used to get very pissed celebrating matches wher we ONLY got beaten by 5 or so goals (ie, not too often) but the future of the club is looking a lot rosier than many "supporters" would have you believe.

Saint supporter since '62
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote:Wright's tearaway style and long kicks seemed to be the blueprint for last night's gameplan. Very impressed with him (again). I predict that, based on last night's effort, that Seb Ross will become and automatic inclusion by the second half of the season. Newnes was teriffic in the first half and anybody who doubted the recruiting of Roberton should be cast in bronze and placed inside the entrance of Luna Park. I will not be microwaving my 2013 membership as I getting enjoyment from watching the rapid transition from and old to a much younger team. Thirty years ago me and a mate used to get very pissed celebrating matches wher we ONLY got beaten by 5 or so goals (ie, not too often) but the future of the club is looking a lot rosier than many "supporters" would have you believe.

Thanks for the gee up and the positive thoughts.

The SEN panel aren't bagging St Kilda from last night at all.

I was very impressed with both Wright for his running forward and Roberton, and his ability to stop, bounce the ball, switch directions and put the ball on a Saints palyers chest.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:The SEN panel aren't bagging St Kilda from last night at all.
I think Watters has done a good job of convincing the media that we're rebuilding and therefore losing a lot of games won't lead to too much pressure this year. The players putting in very solid efforts helps that as well. If we lose games without ending up flaccid like Melbourne then we'll get time to reload and go again in a couple of years.

VODM
Club Player

Glad to read that there is some talent coming through. Just a question for those who get to watch the games, live or on T.V., has ARMO taken the next step? Seems like he started the first few games on fire and then had a couple of quite weeks. Sounded as if SW put the challenge to him through the week and he answered it. From what I have read it appears that NDS had the same challenge and couldn't answer it. Could ARMO be the next Captain?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

When we picked him up and I read the comments about his kicking I thought not another one with poor disposals, but he has proved otherwise, and last night it was under pressure to.
And Roberton is another fantastic find ti

I love this club
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Simpkin 23....... Ferguson 20 ......Geary 25

Roberton 22...... Stanley 23........ Wright 19

Newnes 20 ........ Armitage 25 ..... Webster 19

Siposs 21 ......... White 18 ........ Milera 25

Hickey 22 ...... Lee 22 ......,..... Saad 23

McEvoy............. Ross 20............ Steven 24

Minchington 20 .... Murdoch 19....... Saunders 19..... Markworth 21

Dunnell 23 ...... Curran 21 ...... Staley 20...... Lever 20..... Pierce 19...... Ledger 22

How does that team compare to the GC/GWS??

Not as bad as once thought, gone from a list devoid of kids, to a list full of kids..... I reckon there is 12 definite players

White, Markworth, Newnes, Siposs, Wright, Stanley, Steven possibly the pick of the talent
Yes it is structuring up ok. I like Lever too.

But we do need another couple of real quality players...so hopefully we continue tp pock well in the drafts and get a quality FA or two.

Pelchen has achieved a lot in a little time (two drafts).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I heard Cam Mooney yesterday and he was saying the Saints are doing what Geelong did in 2011. He says playing along side the stars will fast track our kids. Happy with Watters doing the needed rebuild.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all the above. I think it is exciting how some of the younger guys are showing what they can do. Shame Markworth isn't available. I reckon he could have been the icing on the cake. Oh, well, next year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:I also agree.
A also like the look of Ross as well. Very good in traffic and good skills as well.
We need to pump games into them and let them develop.

I also thought Ross was good.

paddy
Club Player

i liked parts of Ross' game too....

he is deceptively tall for a mid

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross impressed me too - I am interested in good decision makers in traffic.....has a touch of Sam Mitchell about him IMO with better foot skills.

“Yeah….nah””