Aaron Hamill – Reversed the Curse of the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jaxons
Club Player

Aaron Hamill – Reversed the Curse of the Blues

As a St.Kilda person I hate the Carlton Football Club more than anything in the world.

Over 103 years since 1897 up until the year 2000 this arrogant football club had treated our football club with disdain.

They were the only club in 1984 not to vote for the survival of our football club during our 22 cents in the dollar scheme of arrangement that was the key to our survival today.

Recently it has come to light that they offered a merger with putting a saints logo on a blues jumper in away games only, so they could get Lockett and Winmar.

They also used to send all of their rejects our way such as McConville, Wow Jones, Marcou, Sheldon, Muller and Nixon, which we gleefully accepted.

On top of this was easily the most ridiculous lopsided head to head win loss ratio that one club enjoyed over another.

Of the first 120 games between us they won 100 and there were 2 draws, and we had won a paltry 18 games.

Carlton always had money and St.Kilda always struggled in this department.

Carlton had never lost a player they wanted to keep.

All of this was turned on it’s head at the end of 2000 when star Carlton forward walked out on the Blues and joined St.Kilda for money.

This was a watershed moment and unthinkable and unfathomable to Carlton.

How could one of their champions leave to go to St.Kilda of all places for money!

In Hamill’s first year at St.Kilda in 2001, whilst we languished down the bottom and Carlton played in the finals, both encounters St.Kilda led Carlton during the 4th quarter before being overrun.

Even that was an achievement back then, after the fierce thumpings they used to dish out to us when they were a finals team, and we were down the bottom.

Since 2002 we have won 16 out of 18 against them, along the way given them some absolute thumpings, and in reality it should have been 17 out of 18 as we coughed up a game we should have won by 3 points in the end.

I feel we all owe Aaron Hamill a big debt of gratitude in reversing the curse of the Blues.

They are now our bitches forever.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Aaron Hamill – Reversed the Curse of the Blues

jaxons wrote:As a St.Kilda person I hate the Carlton Football Club more than anything in the world.

Over 103 years since 1897 up until the year 2000 this arrogant football club had treated our football club with disdain.

They were the only club in 1984 not to vote for the survival of our football club during our 22 cents in the dollar scheme of arrangement that was the key to our survival today.

Recently it has come to light that they offered a merger with putting a saints logo on a blues jumper in away games only, so they could get Lockett and Winmar.

They also used to send all of their rejects our way such as McConville, Wow Jones, Marcou, Sheldon, Muller and Nixon, which we gleefully accepted.

On top of this was easily the most ridiculous lopsided head to head win loss ratio that one club enjoyed over another.

Of the first 120 games between us they won 100 and there were 2 draws, and we had won a paltry 18 games.

Carlton always had money and St.Kilda always struggled in this department.

Carlton had never lost a player they wanted to keep.

All of this was turned on it’s head at the end of 2000 when star Carlton forward walked out on the Blues and joined St.Kilda for money.

This was a watershed moment and unthinkable and unfathomable to Carlton.

How could one of their champions leave to go to St.Kilda of all places for money!

In Hamill’s first year at St.Kilda in 2001, whilst we languished down the bottom and Carlton played in the finals, both encounters St.Kilda led Carlton during the 4th quarter before being overrun.

Even that was an achievement back then, after the fierce thumpings they used to dish out to us when they were a finals team, and we were down the bottom.

Since 2002 we have won 16 out of 18 against them, along the way given them some absolute thumpings, and in reality it should have been 17 out of 18 as we coughed up a game we should have won by 3 points in the end.

I feel we all owe Aaron Hamill a big debt of gratitude in reversing the curse of the Blues.
+1
They are now our bitches forever.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I actually wonder how much of the hardness we are seeing from the new young players is Aaron's influence.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Great post, Jaxons!

It has been a pleasure to FINALLY enjoy having the wood over those arrogant pricks. I still won't forget the day we faced them at Princess Park in 2001 and how much abuse Aaron copped. After all the years they had of poaching so many prize players from other clubs and they couldn't swallow the taste of their own medicine. Testament to what a bunch of crybabies their supporters are.

Will never forget the heartwrenching couple of 1 point losses in the late 80's at Princess Park, where the time keep just wouldn't blow the siren until they scored a winning goal.

And what a joyous day it was when they finally won their first wooden spoon. Didn't we Sainters let them know about that with the littering of hundreds of wooden spoons in their own home turf. I can't wait for the day when we get to do the same thing to Essendon.

To hell with the Scumbaggers.

LET 'EM ROT!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
felix
Club Player

And now it's even better beating them with malthouse coaching them.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

A. Hamill - 2 weeks.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Post of the year.

Please post it on talking Carlscum and Carlscum big footy someone please.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Its now 17 of 19 against the scum!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

i still remember a great game in 04 where we flogged em... great memories.

G Train 9 Goals
S Milne 6 Goals

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp? ... ameID=1965

Fortius Quo Fidelius
jaxons
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Great post, Jaxons!
saintspremiers wrote:Post of the year.
Thanks Guys.
Enjoyed writing it and just hate Carlton so much!!

Bushman
Club Player

ohh the joy of that game in 04, I took my daughter to her first game and smiled for the next 4 weeks. In retrospect I think John Elliot was a closet Saints man, after all his arrogance delivered us Hamill and his corrupt administration gave us Goddard. Really makes me believe in Kama.

Thanks for the post Jaxons.

lloyd21
Club Player

Just watching Mark McClure on footy 360 typical arrogant former Carlton player says umpires cost them game

Gives Stkilda no credit for playing well or the kids they are developing keeps saying Carlton are a top 4 team

Their arrogance knows no bounds.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Brilliant, almost tear-jerking post! My sentiments to a tee. I can't remember what year it was that we broke the Princes Park curse but I do remember our previous win there against the pompous Blues. My mum took me to the match (I was too young to go alone). I remember a young Blue making his debut. Adrian Gallagher! 1964!

We have a long way to go to make our win / loss ratio look remotely respectable so I suggest we all enjoy it while we can.

Saint supporter since '62
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hamill was fantastic too.

Man he used to go hard. Led by example so well. Just an animal in that F50.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:i still remember a great game in 04 where we flogged em... great memories.

G Train 9 Goals
S Milne 6 Goals

That for me was one of the greatest days at the football !
I used to smoke back then , so at half time i went for one !
Only to have the added pleasure of watching hundreds if not thousands of blues supporters leaving !
I had never seen so many opposition fans leaving early , sometimes you see a mass exodus at 3/4 time but never 1/2 time .
And never never ever a mass exodus of blues !

Happy days !

In red white and black from 73
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Its now 17 of 19 against the scum!
That will be after the next win. It's still 16 out of 18.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Munga
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:i still remember a great game in 04 where we flogged em... great memories.

G Train 9 Goals
S Milne 6 Goals

Awesome, powerful footy. 11.8 disposals per goal. As a comparison, the 29 goals the Crows kicked against GWS last week was 15 disposals per goal.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
savatage
SS Life Member

That game we demolished them at Optus Oval was even better! Wish I had a copy of that game!!

I gave it to the Carlton ferals all day. One of the best days at the footy I can remember :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:That game we demolished them at Optus Oval was even better! Wish I had a copy of that game!!

I gave it to the Carlton ferals all day. One of the best days at the footy I can remember :)
Yes, it was great afternoon in glorious sunshine. G-Train ran amok, Harves dominated (maybe 40 possessions) and NDS was became an emerging star after that match.
jaxons wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Great post, Jaxons!
saintspremiers wrote:Post of the year.
Thanks Guys.
Enjoyed writing it and just hate Carlton so much!!
Most welcome, buddy.

Hating on Carlton is never discouraged on this forum.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

was that the win in the yellow peril ?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

bigred wrote:was that the win in the yellow peril ?

It certainly was.

I remember that game very well, one of the more enjoyable games to go and watch despite the jumper.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
mcadam05
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:Brilliant, almost tear-jerking post! My sentiments to a tee. I can't remember what year it was that we broke the Princes Park curse but I do remember our previous win there against the pompous Blues. My mum took me to the match (I was too young to go alone). I remember a young Blue making his debut. Adrian Gallagher! 1964!

We have a long way to go to make our win / loss ratio look remotely respectable so I suggest we all enjoy it while we can.

it was 1993 and I have posted the last 1/4 ENJOY

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:That game we demolished them at Optus Oval was even better! Wish I had a copy of that game!!

One of my favorite footy memories... was in the outer with the boys from the cricket club, split almost down the middle Saints or Blues supporters (with a couple of Pies & Tigers all going for the Saints). After our electrifying start one of my Carlton supporting mates sooks up with "if we're 10 goals down at 1/4 time I'm going to watch the Diamond Valley final".

Banger runs into an open goal with seconds left & misses... Saints by 57 points (IIRC) at 1/4 time. Haha sucked in you're staying!

That was the day that the Triple M boys started called G-Train the Carpet Snake & I think they may have started with the Milney Tip Rat as well.

St Lenny
Club Player

Be careful what you say, these things have a way of coming back to bite you on the bum.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

mcadam05 wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Brilliant, almost tear-jerking post! My sentiments to a tee. I can't remember what year it was that we broke the Princes Park curse but I do remember our previous win there against the pompous Blues. My mum took me to the match (I was too young to go alone). I remember a young Blue making his debut. Adrian Gallagher! 1964!

it was 1993 and I have posted the last 1/4 ENJOY

Thank you! Only a 28 year drought. I will plug this into the TV and I certainly will enloy it.

Saint supporter since '62