This years draftees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

This years draftees

Pretty pointless exercise really this far out, but why not for a bit of fun!

So who do we think this years top draftees will be?

I think Boyd, Scharenberg, Aish and Dunstan are a clear top 4 and if we end up with one, if not two of these guys we'll have one hell of a footballer.

I'd love Boyd, and would be prepared to give up a lot to GWS to get pick one in order for us to draft him. Having said that, we have a very slight chance of getting him at pick 3, due to Melbourne and Giants having enough key forwards on their list anyway (and his current injury setting him back). There is no way of him getting past the Dogs if they have a pick before us, but I reckon he will be pick 1 regardless of who has the pick - I figure if a team like Giants have too many they will just trade one of their guns out (like Patton) in the coming years anyway.

Personally, I think Scharenberg is having the best championships of those listed as we speak, but for some reason, I am not overly keen on him, i mean, another half back flanker who could possibly run through the midfield in the future - nah, not for us.

I thought Aish would be a clear number one pick a couple of months ago, now I am not so sure, pretty sure he is coming off a shoulder injury and has been carefully managed - but was well held the other day and wasn't named in the bests with minimal impact. Considering the form of the other three in my top four, I would be very very happy if Aish slid to us - kid is all class and will be a player. If we picked up an Adam/Parker type in the trade period, Aish would compliment him and our midfield very nicely.

Dunstan is an interesting type, and probably suits us best on a needs basis, has leadership written all over him and has a big body just like Wines or Vlastuin from last years draft. He would be a very handy addition to our team should the others be gone by our pick and could work out to be the pick of the draft.

Well, those four are the clear standouts in my opinion, from there, I reckon we can throw a blanket over the next ten, with Kelly, Billings, Sheed, Crouch, Bontempelli among others who will come into calculations from 5 onwards.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
lloyd21
Club Player

Re: This years draftees

Scharenburg Or Dunstan is what they need now
Boyd will take 3 years

Patton will be fully developed Cameron fully developed if buddy ends up at Gws players will become available due to salary cap.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Scharenburg Or Dunstan is what they need now
Boyd will take 3 years

Patton will be fully developed Cameron fully developed if buddy ends up at Gws players will become available due to salary cap.

If the stories about the money the Giants are tempting Franklin with are anywhere near being correct then half the Giants list might be up for grabs
due to salary cap issues...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Aish and Boyd the clear standouts despite their injury concerns. Boyd the big athletic power forward and Aish that midfielder who is clearly above the rest - Poise, skill, speed, inside-outside ability. The Cotchin of the draft. I'd love to get either of those two however at this point unlikely. Dunstan and Crouch look like tough nuts. Billings, Sheed, Sharenberg and Kelly classy outside types. Sharenberg definitely looks like a top 3 selection such is his dominance. He'd really fit nicely in GWS who lack a quarter back Goddard type. I'd be ecstatic to get Aish or Boyd. Wouldn't care which one either.

lloyd21
Club Player

Just in regards to Scharenburg is playing Senior footy now has played forward , midfielder, and defence avg 20 possies plus a game elite will probably be no 1 can play anywhere except full back & ruck.

The next .....Luke Hodge

Bono
Club Player

I'll have Josh Kelly. Get him and he would easily be the best kick on the list. Time to get some kids in that can seriously can play.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:I'll have Josh Kelly. Get him and he would easily be the best kick on the list. Time to get some kids in that can seriously can play.

Another who is a bit small IMO. A tall mid is important in our side. We have Steven as a small mid.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I hope Scharenberg goes #1, because that means either Aish or Boyd gets to number 3, which is hopefully what we will have - assuming we finish below Dogs and Melbourne don't get two top picks.

I like Kelly, but agree with Plugger, while he has an elite kick, he isn't an absolutely elite player like those top few at this stage - could be anything though in the future once he gets some size about him.

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Josh Kelly has lost a lot of his appeal this season. Agree with plugger he's too small and very much just an outside player which would be fine if we weren't screaming out for a player capable of having an inside game.

While Aish is also small he plays big. He's the most advanced of the players playing senior footy since he was 16, and dominating at that level. Real X factor with an all round game. Not quite to the talent of O'Meara but similar game style, for those that want a comparison.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Josh Kelly has lost a lot of his appeal this season. Agree with plugger he's too small and very much just an outside player which would be fine if we weren't screaming out for a player capable of having an inside game.

While Aish is also small he plays big. He's the most advanced of the players playing senior footy since he was 16, and dominating at that level. Real X factor with an all round game. Not quite to the talent of O'Meara but similar game style, for those that want a comparison.
Where is that like button!

Strength through Loyalty
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Don't we take the best available in a top 5 pick scenario?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The REAL story is with who we pick up with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th Round picks. It's the late "GEMS" that can fast track our move UP the ladder !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Why is everyone so sure we will end up with pick No. 3?
Looking at the season ahead, WB has the best run as they play three times against the two teams below them.
I cant see us catching Brisbane, even though we do play them.
I have just convinced myself. It looks a pretty good bet that we will drop to 16th by the end of the season.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The REAL story is with who we pick up with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th Round picks. It's the late "GEMS" that can fast track our move UP the ladder !!
And how we develop them is equally as important.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Richter
SS Life Member

Barry, need to factor in the likelihood that Melbourne could get a priority pick ahead of us too. Which would push us back to #4.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

At this stage fairly obvious we end up with a top 5 pick. That's factoring in a few different scenario's as Richter mentioned. The creme in this draft are top 3 (Boyd, Aish and Sharenburg), after that there's another half a dozen who are similarly rated. I like us winning but I'd also like us to get a pick inside the top 3. Sharenburg shouldn't be dismissed just because his profile has him as a half back flanker. He's very good 1 v 1 with a powerful inside game. He'll be a midfielder. At this stage I'd certainly take him if Aish and Boyd are gone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Why is everyone so sure we will end up with pick No. 3?
Looking at the season ahead, WB has the best run as they play three times against the two teams below them.
I cant see us catching Brisbane, even though we do play them.
I have just convinced myself. It looks a pretty good bet that we will drop to 16th by the end of the season.

And Barry would would make us pick 3 if melbourne dont get a priorty pick.

kp83
Club Player

'Shifter' Sheehan had his mock draft on 'TAC Cup Future Stars' last week (based on current ladder positions) with us picking up Aish.
Hope this is the case!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:At this stage fairly obvious we end up with a top 5 pick. That's factoring in a few different scenario's as Richter mentioned. The creme in this draft are top 3 (Boyd, Aish and Sharenburg), after that there's another half a dozen who are similarly rated. I like us winning but I'd also like us to get a pick inside the top 3. Sharenburg shouldn't be dismissed just because his profile has him as a half back flanker. He's very good 1 v 1 with a powerful inside game. He'll be a midfielder. At this stage I'd certainly take him if Aish and Boyd are gone.
Good call, I think I went a tad early when I said not for us, gee he is good overhead. He'd still be my number 4 for thise I'd prefer, with Boyd and Aish one and two.

Strength through Loyalty
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have been on Scharamberg since last year- he's a gun. Not much between a lot of the mids but Boyd will be gone by our pick me thinks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have been on Scharamberg since last year- he's a gun. Not much between a lot of the mids but Boyd will be gone by our pick me thinks.

Early start this year gringo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I have been on Scharamberg since last year- he's a gun. Not much between a lot of the mids but Boyd will be gone by our pick me thinks.

Early start this year gringo.

Still on him from last year he was outstanding for SA and i couldn't work out how he wasn't nominated for the draft until I checked his age.

I love speculating on players and Neade one that i suggested was a great get from Port just won a rising star I see. They copied our get of Saad and Milera and did a similar deal to get him but he looks better than both at this stage. Milera should watch this kid he's about 25 kegs and tackles like a rabbit trap.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A guy that would have shot up from a possible rookie to a possible 2nd Rounder would be Mitch Honeychurch. BOG for Vic Metro against Queensland and WA. A bit small but a good clearance player who can go forward and kick goals !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

older saint
SS Life Member

Don't worry about shoulders remember baulking at one C Judd!.
Perhaps Giants will consider pick 3 and 2nd round for pick 1 and 3rd ?

savatage
SS Life Member

older saint wrote:Don't worry about shoulders remember baulking at one C Judd!.
Perhaps Giants will consider pick 3 and 2nd round for pick 1 and 3rd ?
Sure. They'll throw Jeremy Cameron in too.