I will get caned for this

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I will get caned for this

But cant bring myself to go on Saturday night with Milne in the team.

Not a case of me thinking he is guilty, he is entitled to the presumption of innocence, I just dont want to be involved in an ugly crowd.

I feel for everyone in this tawdry episode, including us as supporters, even though it pales into insignificance compared to what Milne, his family, the woman and her family are going through.

However I could not enjoy the game with him in the team even though I love him as a footballer.

There is too much ugliness in the world, and I fear Saturday night will be one of the ugliest crowd reactions to a player in a long long time.

I dont want to be party to that. I dont want to be involved in a mob mentality on either side. I dont want to be involved in the negativity and ugliness of it all.

So I will sit this one out. Call me soft, call me a piker, I dont mind.

Its how i feel.

Go Saints hope you absolutely thrash the Bluse and Milney kicks a bag.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: I will get caned for this

MOD REMOVED POST WITH POSTERS PERMISSION

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MOD REMOVED POST WITH POSTERS PERMISSION

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saint Pup
Club Player

No reason to get caught up in the mob mentality, just go and watch and do everything you would normally do. Changing your behavior because of others acting out of line will not solve anything, and will not help move us forward as a population.

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:What an attention seeking bunch of tripe. Look at me. Look at me.
As is the reply

I love this club
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I'm going but I understand what you're saying Joff. My wife and I are actually dreading going. This is the same mob that was chanting "no means no" last year when Milney wasn't charged. It's going to get ugly

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Pup wrote:No reason to get caught up in the mob mentality, just go and watch and do everything you would normally do. Changing your behavior because of others acting out of line will not solve anything, and will not help move us forward as a population.

The problem with that is it will hard to sick there and hear the word rapist every 5 seconds no matter how much you want to ignore it. I feel like JB but im actually doing the opposite and going to a saturday night to support when normally i dont go on saturdays to the footy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I would go just to reply with "Cheating wogs" :D

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

The Fireman wrote:I would go just to reply with "Cheating wogs" :D
Perhaps we should all go and wave paper bags.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
paulski
Club Player

I'm not looking forward to Saturday, but I'm still going.

Think it's going to be ugly, but I'm going to support the team I love.

Nothing would ever stop me doing that!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lets look at other issues: we are rebuilding have no hope of finals so playing your best side is not número uno.

Milney may also retire or not be offered a contract beyond this season also.

Unfortunately you can't say Milne is holding back another small forward as Milera and Saad have had plenty of chances to impress.

I just hope the club is fully on top of all the many and varied issues with this case. Maybe they are worried about possible legal action from Milne against the club if he's stood down any longer? Although saying that a players non selection can be for many reasons.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm still uneasy as to how the St Kilda fans will react to Milne.

Will there be over the top applause for him - just because he's a Saints player? I find that a bit uncomfortable too.

I

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Will there be a Moorabbin Wing somewhere?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I’ll be going but like others have said, it will be with some trepidation.

I love going to the footy but when I do it’s the beers before the game with mates and the cheering for the Saints that provides the enjoyment. I tend to switch off the old brain for a few hours and just allow myself to soak in the experience. The last thing I want to have to do is worry about moral issues and enter into some intellectual debate about who should be taking the field.

The irony (for want of a better word) is that the majority of abuse being hurled at both Milney and Saints supporters is likely to be coming from feral Carlton supporters who don’t respect women (in the case of males) or themselves (in the case of females) or the justice system.

Conversely, those people who perhaps have a genuine issue with Milney playing are likely to be sitting in their homes quietly fuming, or at worst, standing outside Etihad holding a small cardboard sign. :(

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I’ll be going but like others have said, it will be with some trepidation.

I love going to the footy but when I do it’s the beers before the game with mates and the cheering for the Saints that provides the enjoyment. I tend to switch off the old brain for a few hours and just allow myself to soak in the experience. The last thing I want to have to do is worry about moral issues and enter into some intellectual debate about who should be taking the field.

The irony (for want of a better word) is that the majority of abuse being hurled at both Milney and Saints supporters is likely to be coming from feral Carlton supporters who don’t respect women (in the case of males) or themselves (in the case of females) or the justice system.

Conversely, those people who perhaps have a genuine issue with Milney playing are likely to be sitting in their homes quietly fuming, or at worst, standing outside Etihad holding a small cardboard sign. :(

Well articulated. Much better than I could have put the issue.

Jonny Member also makes a very good point.

Lance or James??

mcadam05
Club Player

Just remind them of Carlton's own history of its players and sexual assault , even good'ol John Elliott made it part of his shtick at sportsmen nights how he joked he payed off women who would dare too cry rape

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

joffaboy wrote:But cant bring myself to go on Saturday night with Milne in the team.

Not a case of me thinking he is guilty, he is entitled to the presumption of innocence, I just dont want to be involved in an ugly crowd.

I feel for everyone in this tawdry episode, including us as supporters, even though it pales into insignificance compared to what Milne, his family, the woman and her family are going through.

However I could not enjoy the game with him in the team even though I love him as a footballer.

There is too much ugliness in the world, and I fear Saturday night will be one of the ugliest crowd reactions to a player in a long long time.

I dont want to be party to that. I dont want to be involved in a mob mentality on either side. I dont want to be involved in the negativity and ugliness of it all.

Its how i feel.

I understand the dilema. I am not going either at this stage. That is because I know myself. I am a passionate person, I have trouble keeping my feelings hidden, and I believe in speaking freely. Go hard or go home type of thing. I know that at the the WCE game, a row of WCE supporters after the siren cheering the umpires off and calling "thanks for four points" was enough to get me into a position where someone else had to drag me away to avoid a "situation". My nature is to confront a situation, I am self aware enough to know that despite my best efforts at self restraint, if someone pushes the right button long enough then I will end up responding. I wish to avoid that, it is not why I go to the footy. I want to support my team and one of it's great servants, but I do not wish to get arrested over a bunch of feral dickheads that ironically support the team with the biggest history of corrupt behaviour in the league.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:Just remind them of Carlton's own history of its players and sexual assault , even good'ol John Elliott made it part of his shtick at sportsmen nights how he joked he payed off women who would dare too cry rape

And thats the point. Accusation and counter accusation.

Ugliness and the whole focus taken away for the reaosn why I am there.

To watch and appreciate football, not abuse and insult, and then counter abuse and insult.

The atmosphere would be appalling and if I had small kids, I would certainly not be taking them on Saturday night.

I dont want to overplay the issue, I am not "scared" to front up, I have had plenty of run ins with opposition supporters and also plenty of happy fun banter, I think it is because i am conflicted on the isue of Milne playing, of the tribalism taking to an uncomfortable place where as Johnny Member stated Saints are cheering Milne just because he is in Red White and Black to drown out the boos and insults of the opposition because they are slandering him on a non football related issue.

Really difficult and complex.

Oh and I applaude the supporters going, this is a personal decision based on personal misgivings.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
joffaboy wrote:But cant bring myself to go on Saturday night with Milne in the team.

Its how i feel.

I understand the dilema. I am not going either at this stage. That is because I know myself. I am a passionate person, I have trouble keeping my feelings hidden, and I believe in speaking freely. Go hard or go home type of thing. I know that at the the WCE game, a row of WCE supporters after the siren cheering the umpires off and calling "thanks for four points" was enough to get me into a position where someone else had to drag me away to avoid a "situation". My nature is to confront a situation, I am self aware enough to know that despite my best efforts at self restraint, if someone pushes the right button long enough then I will end up responding. I wish to avoid that, it is not why I go to the footy. I want to support my team and one of it's great servants, but I do not wish to get arrested over a bunch of feral dickheads that ironically support the team with the biggest history of corrupt behaviour in the league.

Understand your position. I too find it difficult to not have a go at clowns and really I dont go to the footy to do that, as you say.

Lance or James??

mullet
Saintsational Legend

There are a whole team of guys who need our support

But I respect everyones right to go or not.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:There are a whole team of guys who need our support

But I respect everyones right to go or not.
Ditto (especially the bolded bit)

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

And to those that are giving JB a serve over this, pull your heads in. This is a forum - that means discussions take place. As a footy club, this is one of the most difficult issues the supporter base has had to confront. I realise it is a level above the regular knuckle-dragging "should we boo club champion "x" who went to another club?" but it presents a moral and ethical issue of loyalty versus social conscience the likes of which we rarely, if ever, encounter. For those that mentally operate above the level of "mmmmm, beer good", this is quite probably occupying their mind.

I know where I stand on this ethically, but am also aware of the potential environment on Saturday and my likely reaction in that environment, so for me it is an easy choice. It is not so easy for many others.

Props to JB for having the stones to speak up.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it's more of an issue for us Saints fans- he's been copping it for the last 9 years . As someone said John Elliott laughed at us because they used to give women a couple of hundred thousand to go away including for members of their last Premiership side. I know someone that knew a victim. My brother in law was saying the same thing and he's a Blues fan- the skeletons are in their closet too.

It's going to have to come sometime so get it out of the way. Even the Bombers really only got one week of it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I have great sympathy with the opening post. It doesn't sit well with me that Milne is in the team.

And I can't believe people would choose to retort - even jokingly - about "wogs" or "paying off women". Even "salary cap" is a bit touch and go for me.

They might say worse, but that's because they're...them. That doesn't make it right.

We, as a club, need to have better values than that.

If you're being baited, remember, you're being baited by a scumbag of a human being who doesn't deserve your attention.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:And to those that are giving JB a serve over this, pull your heads in. This is a forum - that means discussions take place. As a footy club, this is one of the most difficult issues the supporter base has had to confront. I realise it is a level above the regular knuckle-dragging "should we boo club champion "x" who went to another club?" but it presents a moral and ethical issue of loyalty versus social conscience the likes of which we rarely, if ever, encounter. For those that mentally operate above the level of "mmmmm, beer good", this is quite probably occupying their mind.

Encapsulated nicely. This is a personal conscious decision for everyone and I thought it would be a good topic to explore. Not too many actually caning me which is good.

Probably the new forum rules :D

The discussion has been healthy with varying PoV's but no jacking or personal abuse which the new regime was designed for.

Lance or James??