Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

I have heard copious amounts of supposition from the papers that St Kilda could get a deal done for pick 1--essentially to get Boyd. However, I haven't heard any statements or rumors from the club that we are definitely willing to trade for pick 1 from GWS. Has anyone heard anything to suggest that we definitely want Boyd? It can definitely be said that we are best placed, besides Melbourne, to land him.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

Our hat is in the ring, for sure and I've heard it from a few sources.

But if you are looking for a quote it wont happen. Closest thing we'll find is we'll be aggressive, we'll explore all options, blah blah blah.

Being so far out, who knows what could happen, we wont say anything in the media nor will anyone else while their season is still going. I'd say there'd be about 17 clubs with vaeying degrees of interest in trading for the pick. ;)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It'll be public when it's done, that's the way good operators work..

Do we have good operators enlisted at the club.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hope not.... Why would we give away something for a player not guaranteed to be any better than our first selection anyway.

Has anyone seen Boyd play at AFL level, or against men?

southernsaint
Club Player

Lets just see what the pelican can fish for this trade and draft season. Very happy with his first two years so far :D :D :D :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No.

My sources indicate we are using this as a decoy for some WAFL gun who is secretky coveted by all other clubs (and Penrith) and we will trade for pick 1 to pass that on for him...

This guy was delisted previously also....just late bloomer.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:No.

My sources indicate we are using this as a decoy for some WAFL gun who is secretky coveted by all other clubs (and Penrith) and we will trade for pick 1 to pass that on for him...

I snickered...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:No.

I snickered...
Were you hungry? :wink:

BigMart wrote:Hope not.... Why would we give away something for a player not guaranteed to be any better than our first selection anyway.

Has anyone seen Boyd play at AFL level, or against men?
Agree 100%. That's the sort of trade that can only go wrong - even if he turns out to be a star then we we've only just broken even.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A ridiculous trade IMO not sure the sense in giving up something to move up 2 or 3 positions..... 10-15 positions perhaps...

So elevating Pick 21 plus a player for pick 8 or something similar?

If Pelicans past is anything to go by, we'll do the opposite and drop down the order and pick up a steak knive GOP.

Are we happy with Pelchin
Saad, Milera, Lee, Hickey, TDL, Wilkes, Dunnell, Shenton....

All mature age, all cost different amounts.... But who is going to be an important senior cog
Saad.... Struggling with AFL
Milera and TDL.... Not sure why we have two of them
Lee.... Has been OK a few times, but has not shown real talent
Hickey... A back up Ruckman for pick 13 and a draft slide
Wilkes..... Serviceable back up for a season or two
Dunnell....solid VFL Allrounder, afl gap filler
Shenton....????

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A ridiculous trade IMO not sure the sense in giving up something to move up 2 or 3 positions..... 10-15 positions perhaps...

If Pelicans past is anything to go by, we'll do the opposite and drop down the order and pick up a steak knive GOP.

All mature age, all cost different amounts.... But who is going to be an important senior cog
Shenton....????

Shents and Dunny are rookies so didn't cost picks. Milera and Saad have some second year blues right now but look worth persisting with. Hickey and Lee look blue chip to me. Wilkes cost FA. We have no one in the middle career bracket so we needed some to add some hard bodies to protect the kids from the grind of 23 game seasons. I'm thinking he's got a plan at least and the recruiters have got some great kids too.

southernsaint
Club Player

I agree gringo. plus ross, webster, newnes, murdoch, saunders, wright and white im very happy with the pelican so far. I dont think this may be an issue because i think buddy is going to stay a hawk and in turn the giants will take boyd for themselves.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so to get this done then someone like dal would be on the move...one would think

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To get pick one we would ave to pay over the odds.

Pick 3 will secure a very good mid for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

It all depends on if they think Boyd is a once in a generation type forward. Pick 3 will get us a very good midfielder, which we are in desperate need of.

Anyone know how deep this draft is quality wise?

Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:A ridiculous trade IMO not sure the sense in giving up something to move up 2 or 3 positions..... 10-15 positions perhaps...

Shenton....????
Of the specific trades including these players, nearly all are clear WINs.

One that is highly questionable was the Hickey one.

It works out at Tom Hickey + Spencer White + TDL vs Jesse Lonergan + Tanner Smith + Tim Sumner

If you're including mature age players you should also add in Dylan Rpberton and TDL, as well as the swapping of Tommy Walsh for picks that we used on Wilkes and Markworth.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
70s sainter
Club Player

The last two years we have down graded picks to turnover our list and improve it slowly overall. However this year I expect the turnover to be low so how about upgrading picks.
Say trade picks 20 and 38 for pick 14 approx. then trade pick 3 and 14 for gws's pick 1 and 18 . They can use 18 to trade for a ruck man . We upgrade our picks and the team with 14 multiply their amount of picks(14 for 20 and 38)
Everyone's a winner .

matrix
Saintsational Legend

praying that aish slips thru to pick 3 somehow

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Imagine back at the end of the 2000 season that you were Collingwood with pick 3.
St Kilda is holding picks 1 & 2.
Given how rare good, big key forwards are in the game, imagine that you could have given up a ruckman and pick 3 to the Saints for pick 1. St Kilda would have still had picks 2&3 and Collingwood would have taken pick 1.
The would have drafted Riewoldt. St Kilda would have ended up with Kosi and Didak.
Would Riewoldt made a difference in the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals?
I bet Collingwood now wished they had tried to strike a deal with the Saints for pick 1 to get a player like Roo.

Key forwards don't grow on trees. Midfielders (unless they're Ablett or Judd) are far more prevalent. You can still get really good ones in the 2nd round. History is littered with those examples.

Some of the better ones of late did not go pick one but would have if not for F/S selections. Tom Hawkins and Joe Daniher certainly would have gone pick one.
If Tom Boyd is as good as they say, it is worth having a genuine crack for that pick. Pick 3 + a player is worth a try. IMO.

Jarred
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:Imagine back at the end of the 2000 season that you were Collingwood with pick 3.
Given how rare good, big key forwards are in the game, imagine that you could have given up a ruckman and pick 3 to the Saints for pick 1. St Kilda would have still had picks 2&3 and Collingwood would have taken pick 1.
The would have drafted Riewoldt. St Kilda would have ended up with Kosi and Didak.
I bet Collingwood now wished they had tried to strike a deal with the Saints for pick 1 to get a player like Roo.

Key forwards don't grow on trees. Midfielders (unless they're Ablett or Judd) are far more prevalent. You can still get really good ones in the 2nd round. History is littered with those examples.

Some of the better ones of late did not go pick one but would have if not for F/S selections. Tom Hawkins and Joe Daniher certainly would have gone pick one.
If Tom Boyd is as good as they say, it is worth having a genuine crack for that pick. Pick 3 + a player is worth a try. IMO.

Great thoughts mate... Actually made me agree with what you're saying. I wasnt sold on going after the No. 1 pick until i had a read.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I have heard copious amounts of supposition from the papers that St Kilda could get a deal done for pick 1--essentially to get Boyd. However, I haven't heard any statements or rumors from the club that we are definitely willing to trade for pick 1 from GWS. Has anyone heard anything to suggest that we definitely want Boyd? It can definitely be said that we are best placed, besides Melbourne, to land him.
i very much doubt that pick one has been or will ever be on the table....just sheedy playing mind games with the other 17 clubs...imho....just shaking the tree seeing what falls out....then using that to mount disharmony......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote:Imagine back at the end of the 2000 season that you were Collingwood with pick 3.

Totally agree.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Fantastic post!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Big players don't always come on..

We could have swapped Cotchin (plus whatever was required) for Kruezer....or Hill (plus whatever was required) for Watts

So bet your house on getting just one player, and you might find yourself living in a cubby.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Big players don't always come on..

We could have swapped Cotchin (plus whatever was required) for Kruezer....or Hill (plus whatever was required) for Watts

So bet your house on getting just one player, and you might find yourself living in a cubby.

wise words

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.