James Aish

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

James Aish

Not so sure about the actual raw stats, but since he has returned from the U18 championships, James Aish has been named second best player for Norwood twice, and BOG for Norwood in the other one.

He has only played three games since the championships. With others saying he wasn't that good after seeing him tagged in the U18s, his results are proving that he was only underdone.

My prediction, he will be the best mid in this draft by an absolute country mile, absolutely elite both sides of the body and his decision making and composure is amazing.

My worry, with pick 3, Boyd will go #1, Aish will go #2 and we'll be 'stuck' with Scharenberg. While thats not necessarily a reason to be shattered, it wouldn't have me have as excited about the future as Aish (or Boyd) would. I hope to god we somehow get pick 1 and keep pick 3, and I hope the rumours about Melbournes interest in Kelly are true - or maybe the rumours about GWS liking Scharenberg are true?

Does anyone have the statistics from his three games since the championships?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: James Aish

We will get pick 4 though.

savatage
SS Life Member

Yeah I've been most excited by Aish too. If we end up with one of Aish, Boyd or scharenberg we would've done well either way.

I'm considering Boyd a 5% chance to get to us, I'm hopeful we'll snag Aish with 3.

The problem is Melbourne have the worst midfield in the league and would be having a big look at him.

Saintlester
Club Player

I have seen all of Aishy's games since the champs. Started slow against Sturt but has been first class since. Clearly in the elite class for his two sided skills, ability to read the game and also for someone who would be regarded currently as an outside mid his ability to win hi own ball. Seen a couple of his marks going against the tide recently, the guy has ticker to go with the skills. Also has the body to become an elite inside/outside mid. I pray we get him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We will get pick 4 though.

On form they deserve the priority but surely the tanking investigati/fine will come into it....

70s sainter
Club Player

Their list looking forward is more balanced than ours so I would argue that giving them a priority pick would be negative towards us which wouldn't be fair or logical.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Their list looking forward is more balanced than ours so I would argue that giving them a priority pick would be negative towards us which wouldn't be fair or logical.

Completely true but we havent been near the bottom for years.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Saintlester wrote:I have seen all of Aishy's games since the champs. Started slow against Sturt but has been first class since. Clearly in the elite class for his two sided skills, ability to read the game and also for someone who would be regarded currently as an outside mid his ability to win hi own ball. Seen a couple of his marks going against the tide recently, the guy has ticker to go with the skills. Also has the body to become an elite inside/outside mid. I pray we get him.
Thanks for your post and insight, the more I see and hear about him, the better I think he will be. To be able to cope and excel in senior footy three years ago when he was so young shows he has a fair bit of ticker too I reckon.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Trent Dumont too, I'm guessing he will go middle of the first round - would be a good get for us 'if' something like pick 10 comes to us as part of our 'aggressive trading' strategy.

Plugger, I really hope we don't end up with pick 4! I am hoping their priority pick is given to them at the end of the first round - or is not given to them at all. I would put about 6-8 players anywhere between pick 4 and 10, so pick 4 really would hurt us. Having said that, considering the 'deals' that Melbourne and the AFL have already done, I would not be completely in shock if that happens.

Strength through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Saintlester wrote:I have seen all of Aishy's games since the champs. Started slow against Sturt but has been first class since. Clearly in the elite class for his two sided skills, ability to read the game and also for someone who would be regarded currently as an outside mid his ability to win hi own ball. Seen a couple of his marks going against the tide recently, the guy has ticker to go with the skills. Also has the body to become an elite inside/outside mid. I pray we get him.
Thanks for your post and insight, the more I see and hear about him, the better I think he will be. To be able to cope and excel in senior footy three years ago when he was so young shows he has a fair bit of ticker too I reckon.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Trent Dumont too, I'm guessing he will go middle of the first round - would be a good get for us 'if' something like pick 10 comes to us as part of our 'aggressive trading' strategy.

Plugger, I really hope we don't end up with pick 4! I am hoping their priority pick is given to them at the end of the first round - or is not given to them at all. I would put about 6-8 players anywhere between pick 4 and 10, so pick 4 really would hurt us. Having said that, considering the 'deals' that Melbourne and the AFL have already done, I would not be completely in shock if that happens.

So am I but I reckon they are nearly certain to get picks one and three now.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We will definitely get pick 3, I am sure of it...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would be a good get

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:We will definitely get pick 3, I am sure of it...

So how does a club now get a priorty pick?

Saintlester
Club Player

SI we were discussing Trent Dumont at last night's Norwood/Port game. While he is not in the same class as James Aish this kid is a serious player. Has the body shape of a real inside mid. Wins his own footy but also seems to have plenty of time when he gets it outside. The Norwood guys I go with and I all think he could play AFL next year. Would be a good get and just may fall to second round(but I doubt it). We have another terrific kid called Matt Fuller but he plays a spot we are already full up on(small defender). But as he now has his body reight he could end up as a mid. Very strong through the hips and has an almost Harvey like shimmy to get out of trouble. But his great asset is elite kicking skills, short or long. Reckon he will get drafted, we could do worse late second or third round as he would be ahead of the likes of Dunnell and Webster already.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I don't think the AFL could answer that right now, they haven't made up the rule yet

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

I wouldn't be happy if I was in charge of GWS and got pick two for being clearly bottom. Having said that, after being as bad as they've been, they 'deserve' a priority pick. Especially considering AFL have said they have made a pretty strong arguement 'for' the pick.

A priority pick should go to them, but I really believe an end of first round pick is fairer, and wont encourage other clubs to tank for it either if their were in such a situation in the future. Plus an end of first round pick wont penalise the other clubs who are down the bottom of the ladder who desperately need to get their hands on top end talent also.

Strength through Loyalty
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

The last time a priority pick was given it was the end of first round. I know Melb are bad,,and I think they are a better than even chance to get a priority pick - but I can't see how they can change the rules now to gift the pick before the end of the first round.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Another outside mid, not for me. Too small and under 18 champs showed he needs players to get the ball to him. I firmly believe we should keep away from these small outside mids who are not see ball get ball players, although they have elite skills- Aish, Billings, Kelly etc.

I am coming around big time to WA under 18 captain and Lark Medalist Dom Sheed from WA off the back of his form at the champs. He destroyed Vic Country who had a good midfield - Couch, Taylor, Tsitas etc. His skills were good and he won his own ball. Best of all he is a goal kicking mid.

The tall defenders in the draft are terrible so we won't get much help here.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Saintlester wrote:SI we were discussing Trent Dumont at last night's Norwood/Port game. While he is not in the same class as James Aish this kid is a serious player. Has the body shape of a real inside mid. Wins his own footy but also seems to have plenty of time when he gets it outside. The Norwood guys I go with and I all think he could play AFL next year. Would be a good get and just may fall to second round(but I doubt it). We have another terrific kid called Matt Fuller but he plays a spot we are already full up on(small defender). But as he now has his body reight he could end up as a mid. Very strong through the hips and has an almost Harvey like shimmy to get out of trouble. But his great asset is elite kicking skills, short or long. Reckon he will get drafted, we could do worse late second or third round as he would be ahead of the likes of Dunnell and Webster already.
Thanks again, they both sound like real prospects, anyone Harvey like gets my vote! Its a stretch for Dumont getting to our second pick but we can hope. I still like the sound of Dunstan who everyone has gone cold on - Dumont a better kid than him at this stage? So much talent in SA this year, really rate them and hope our recruiters aren't too TAC obsessed.

As I said earlier, the likes of Sheed, Dumont, Bontempelli, Dunstan, Kelly, Billings, Crouch, Gardiner, Taylor, um, so many more, but all could go anywhere from 4 onwards for various reasons - hoping one slides to us :)

Strength through Loyalty
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Read Sheeds form guide. Left footer with NO right side ..and lack of pace. No thanks.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Read Sheeds form guide. Left footer with NO right side ..and lack of pace. No thanks.
Get to the champs did you mate. Which games?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Jimmy O'Dea wrote:Another outside mid, not for me. Too small and under 18 champs showed he needs players to get the ball to him. I firmly believe we should keep away from these small outside mids who are not see ball get ball players, although they have elite skills- Aish, Billings, Kelly etc.

I am coming around big time to WA under 18 captain and Lark Medalist Dom Sheed from WA off the back of his form at the champs. He destroyed Vic Country who had a good midfield - Couch, Taylor, Tsitas etc. His skills were good and he won his own ball. Best of all he is a goal kicking mid.

As for tall defenders you would probably be looking to mature agers once you get past Cameron. I do think H Shepheard could do well if we rookied him.

I agree that Sheed will be a very good player, despite the knocks on him. I think pick 3 is too higher price to pay - he could even slide to that middle to late first round pick. I have heard that he is one sided and is too one paced but is a natural footballer, fair assessment?

Aish is a goal kicking mid, and was severely underdone in the champs, his current form and form in the past is the thing that has me very interested. I wouldn't put Aish in the same category as Kelly (slighly built ball magnet) and Billings (slightly build half forward maybe midfielder), Aish can win his own ball, and when he has it he has an amazing ability to find the right target.

Actually, are you just trying to not get our hopes up by focussing on others? :)

Strength through Loyalty
AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Watch a lot of SANFL and yep, would take Aish in a heart beat. Plenty of good young talent in the league this season, especially at Norwood.

SuperDuper
Club Player

If melbourne get a priority pick ahead of us, I am giving up on AFL. They tanked to get a pick and got no sanction at all because the AFL was embarrassed by how bad they are. Sure, they got fined but then got bailed out by the AFL!

Melbourne should not be participating in this draft at all, i.e. we should get pick 2, if the AFL was serious about tanking.
There is no way the AFL can justify giving them a priority after letting the tanking slide.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We will get pick 4 though.

Why??

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Jimmy O'Dea wrote:Another outside mid, not for me. Too small and under 18 champs showed he needs players to get the ball to him. I firmly believe we should keep away from these small outside mids who are not see ball get ball players, although they have elite skills- Aish, Billings, Kelly etc.

As for tall defenders you would probably be looking to mature agers once you get past Cameron. I do think H Shepheard could do well if we rookied him.

I agree that Sheed will be a very good player, despite the knocks on him. I think pick 3 is too higher price to pay - he could even slide to that middle to late first round pick. I have heard that he is one sided and is too one paced but is a natural footballer, fair assessment?

Aish is a goal kicking mid, and was severely underdone in the champs, his current form and form in the past is the thing that has me very interested. I wouldn't put Aish in the same category as Kelly (slighly built ball magnet) and Billings (slightly build half forward maybe midfielder), Aish can win his own ball, and when he has it he has an amazing ability to find the right target.

Actually, are you just trying to not get our hopes up by focussing on others? :)
This is a hard draft as there are no real stand out elite mids like an O'Meara so I am trying to reduce the risk of us getting a poor outcome with such a high draft pick. I can only judge on what I have seen so will take your lead on Aish being much better than his champs form. If we don't improve next year I hope we finish bottom as I have had a look at Patrick McCartin a few times and wow this kid is a powerhouse. A fit and healthy plugger just smashing the packs, clunking marks and kicking goals. I am sure he will be the talk of the 2014 draft.