Rising star nominations?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Andreous
Club Player

Rising star nominations?

Where are the Saints Rising star nominations?

With three weeks to go, which saints should be getting the nod for a rising star nomination?

Newnes
Saunders
Murdoch

Maybe Ross if he comes back in and has three big weeks.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rising star nominations?

Newnes numbers have been as good as a few of the nominations but unless we win a game will likely miss out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We're not a 'sexy' club or new franchise so our chances are limited at get a nomination.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:We're not a 'sexy' club or new franchise so our chances are limited at get a nomination.

Maybe our players arent good enough to be nominated this year. Im unsure the following clubs arent sexy or a new franchise. Roos, Dogs times 2, Port, Lions and crows.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:We're not a 'sexy' club or new franchise so our chances are limited at get a nomination.

Maybe our players arent good enough to be nominated this year. Im unsure the following clubs arent sexy or a new franchise. Roos, Dogs times 2, Port, Lions and crows.
I was waiting for you to respond I just knew it was coming 8-)

I reckon clubs on the rise such as the ones mentioned are pretty sexy, and a lot more appealing than us and Melbourne.

Our players not being good enough and not being high picks getting media attention also plays it's part.

I thought there were a few opportunities for our players to sneak a nomination however were overlooked by players at more appealing clubs.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

You can bet your acorns that they will gift Grundy one before seasons end no matter how he performs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I was waiting for you to respond I just knew it was coming 8-)

I reckon clubs on the rise such as the ones mentioned are pretty sexy, and a lot more appealing than us and Melbourne.

Our players not being good enough and not being high picks getting media attention also plays it's part.

I thought there were a few opportunities for our players to sneak a nomination however were overlooked by players at more appealing clubs.

So the only to clubs who arent sexy or franchise club are the Dees and us and we are second and third last. Im suggesting our club would get nominations if the players were good enough. I dont work on conspirancy theories or we are getting picked on. By the way both clubs got nominations last year and I cant see what category we fell into last year. By the way it means jack anyway. Its how they end up after 3 or 4 years as players.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Newnes might be in contention if there are no huge performances on any given week. Saints fans do drastically over-rate our kids and none of them have deserved a nomination so far. Getting acceptable numbers for a few weeks doesn't get you a nomination, having an impact on the game and beating your opponent does. Saunders and Murdoch are nowhere near it, Curren or Ross seem the most likely to have a 25+ disposal game with a goal or two and that could be enough

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Newnes might be in contention if there are no huge performances on any given week. Saints fans do drastically over-rate our kids and none of them have deserved a nomination so far. Getting acceptable numbers for a few weeks doesn't get you a nomination, having an impact on the game and beating your opponent does. Saunders and Murdoch are nowhere near it, Curren or Ross seem the most likely to have a 25+ disposal game with a goal or two and that could be enough

Marly Williams likes this post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Newnes might be in contention if there are no huge performances on any given week. Saints fans do drastically over-rate our kids and none of them have deserved a nomination so far. Getting acceptable numbers for a few weeks doesn't get you a nomination, having an impact on the game and beating your opponent does. Saunders and Murdoch are nowhere near it, Curren or Ross seem the most likely to have a 25+ disposal game with a goal or two and that could be enough

Marly Williams likes this post.
Dont get that at all. Has held his spot once he has picked in a side challenging for top 4. Also averaging more or very similar to our only hope in newnes. I suppose if you think everyone is against us its not surprising you think the pies are getting a bonus nomination and we are getting picked on. I wish I always felt that way. Seems like a fun way to live your life.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I don't get the obsession with rising star nominations. There's more than 23 good young players unearthed each season.

spot on
Club Player

Best chance is newnes , Ross or wright. Would be pretty disappointed if we couldn't get 1 after debuting so many new players

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

so do we hold a few back who are still under 10 games so they will be eligible next year? Ie Jimmy and Josh..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:so do we hold a few back who are still under 10 games so they will be eligible next year? Ie Jimmy and Josh..

If we do that then its time to pack up shop and go play in the ammos. They will play if they deserve to play.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The kid nominated this week has averaged 18 poss over 15 games this year, any of our kids done that ?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The kid nominated this week has averaged 18 poss over 15 games this year, any of our kids done that ?
Nope
Newnes is our top poss winning 'kid' and he is on 15.

savatage
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:so do we hold a few back who are still under 10 games so they will be eligible next year? Ie Jimmy and Josh..
Seriously???

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint66au wrote:The kid nominated this week has averaged 18 poss over 15 games this year, any of our kids done that ?
Nope
Newnes is our top poss winning 'kid' and he is on 15.
And, will be our only chance for this year, if he puts in 1 or 2 BIG Games in the next 3. Probably the Gold Coast game his best chance !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

PLenty of players don't get nominated and go on to have excellent careers in the AFL. Plenty of players have had nominations and have not gone on the have good AFL careers. So basically, it's pretty meaningless, and not worth worrying about.

savatage
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:PLenty of players don't get nominated and go on to have excellent careers in the AFL. Plenty of players have had nominations and have not gone on the have good AFL careers. So basically, it's pretty meaningless, and not worth worrying about.
Don't be silly. Brett Moyle is an absolutely star.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Joe Mclaren was a rising star nomination. Played 50 games and sailed into the sunset. Had he not had that nomination, I'm sure he wouldn't have only been a 49 game player

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Joe Mclaren was a rising star nomination. Played 50 games and sailed into the sunset. Had he not had that nomination, I'm sure he wouldn't have only been a 49 game player
No he wasn't.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No he wasn't what? A rising star nomination?.......errr....I think he was.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo wasn't. neither were Jason Gram, Sean Dempster, Jack Steven, Sam Gilbert, Max Hudghton, Barry Hall, Matthew Lappin, Jason Blake, Sam Fisher, Stephen Milne, Daryl Wakelin, Justin Peckett, Matt Maguire.

However, Brodie Atkinson, Caydn Beetham, Justin Plapp, Dean Polo, and James Begley were.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Dal Santo wasn't. neither were Jason Gram, Sean Dempster, Jack Steven, Sam Gilbert, Max Hudghton, Barry Hall, Matthew Lappin, Jason Blake, Sam Fisher, Stephen Milne, Daryl Wakelin, Justin Peckett, Matt Maguire.

However, Brodie Atkinson, Caydn Beetham, Justin Plapp, Dean Polo, and James Begley were.

Jack was but it was in year 3 which is very silly.