Who doesnt have a contract for 2014?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Who doesnt have a contract for 2014?

Ill start with the obvious - Kosi, Milney, Blakey, Ledger.

Show else isnt contracted for 2014?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who doesnt have a contract for 2014?

Yes I was wondering who the last of the 4 retirements are that Pelican indicated...

Jones doesn't have a contract yet that I'm aware of, Fisher still has another year doesn't he?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Yes I was wondering who the last of the 4 retirements are that Pelican indicated...

Jones doesn't have a contract yet that I'm aware of, Fisher still has another year doesn't he?

I have a feeling that those numbers was just a bit of guess work.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Yes I was wondering who the last of the 4 retirements are that Pelican indicated...

Probably right... but we need probably 4 kids in the draft, a mature FB from somewhere and upgrade Curren...

That's at least 6 spots, can minchington spend more time as a rookie?

Who are the 6 outs? Blake, Kosi, Milne... Ledger... Lever...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Probably right... but we need probably 4 kids in the draft, a mature FB from somewhere and upgrade Curren...

That's at least 6 spots, can minchington spend more time as a rookie?

Who are the 6 outs? Blake, Kosi, Milne... Ledger... Lever...

Well Dunell would be in trouble as well and even a guy like CJ. Even Simpkin could be in a little trouble if he doesnt have a contract.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

CJ has signed a contract they stated on fox footy todya during the game just for next year

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yep well i agree 6 changes sounds about right.

3 gone already.

Then lever ledger and dunny probably in some strife.
Maybe simpkin in a bit of strife.
Maybe one of Gwilt or Dempster have had enough.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shesh id keep dunny
of the very very few sandy games ive seen i thought he looked alright

kos
Club Player

Need to think up any possible trades.
I seriously think gwilt is one who we could do without, with Gilbert's form on his return and the emergence of roberton also fisher, simpkin, dempster and a key defender appointment I just don't see a spot for him.

We need to be ruthless and realistic with whom wont be essential to the resurgence.

lefty
Club Player

lol con thinking dempsters had enough, been our rock for the last 3 years.... I'd be disappointed if Ledger went, had a great go with the amount of time he had and still on the young side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Need to think up any possible trades.
I seriously think gwilt is one who we could do without, with Gilbert's form on his return and the emergence of roberton also fisher, simpkin, dempster and a key defender appointment I just don't see a spot for him.

We need to be ruthless and realistic with whom wont be essential to the resurgence.

Happy to trade players but Jimmy wouldnt get anything at all. that is the point of a trade. it need to appeal to both sides. Gibert would get something but is a much tougher decision to make.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Probably drop Ferg and possibly staley off the rookie list too.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Definately think that there are places for Ledger and Dunnell. Ferg looks mighty slow on what I 've seen. I think a fit Simpkin should stay and definately Dempster...too experienced to let go.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Definately think that there are places for Ledger and Dunnell. Ferg looks mighty slow on what I 've seen. I think a fit Simpkin should stay and definately Dempster...too experienced to let go.

Thats all ok but who does go then?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:shesh id keep dunny
of the very very few sandy games ive seen i thought he looked alright
From what I've seen he looks very solid at VFL level but at AFL level he lacks any standout attributes. If he's lucky he'll turn out like Brett Voss but he might wind up more like Troy Schwarze.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Definately think that there are places for Ledger and Dunnell. Ferg looks mighty slow on what I 've seen. I think a fit Simpkin should stay and definately Dempster...too experienced to let go.
You're posing the question - what's your answer to it, who do you think will go? No caveats, or "well I'm not on the coaching panel" type wriggle room statements, what's your straight up opinion of who will be tipped out in the off-season?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
You're posing the question - what's your answer to it, who do you think will go? No caveats, or "well I'm not on the coaching panel" type wriggle room statements, what's your straight up opinion of who will be tipped out in the off-season?

I actually started a thread on this about 4 weeks ago and gave my opinion then and im pretty sure I never mentioned the coach or anything like that so I have no idea what you are getting at. cant be bothered getting the thread up again so I may have different opinions from then but here goes.

3 retirements as already known

Delisting
ledger
Dunell
TDL if he doesnt have a contract Yes an excuse but so be it
Saad

Rookies gone
Ferg sadly
Staley

Rookie upgrade Curren
Kept rookies
Shenton
Minchington

No idea on trades but for some reason think Dal may go.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:lol con thinking dempsters had enough, been our rock for the last 3 years.... I'd be disappointed if Ledger went, had a great go with the amount of time he had and still on the young side.
I think Con's got diarrhoea

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Andreous
Club Player

I would like to think Ledger got a chance to prove himself. I would look at TDL, Lever and possibly Maister.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote: I actually started a thread on this about 4 weeks ago and gave my opinion then and im pretty sure I never mentioned the coach or anything like that so I have no idea what you are getting at. cant be bothered getting the thread up again so I may have different opinions from then but here goes.

3 retirements as already known

Delisting
ledger
Dunell
TDL if he doesnt have a contract Yes an excuse but so be it
Saad

Rookies gone
Ferg sadly
Staley

Rookie upgrade Curren
Kept rookies
Shenton
Minchington

No idea on trades but for some reason think Dal may go.
Thanks. Vaguely remember the thread you are talking about. And my statement about "coaching or caveats" was because, in my experience, whenever you're asked a straight question you seem to like to build in some escape hatches in your response.

For what it's worth, I think your probably close to the mark, although I can't see TDL going. Thinking Dunell has probably been tried and dismissed as "nothing special for his size and role".

Ferg is my only question mark. Will we cut our losses or go one more season to make sure we don't waste the development time and effort, especially given the lack of sizeable defenders we have (I know he plays more like a HBF running type, not as a traditional KP, but we've tipped a lot of time into him).

Agree on Dal, there's been too much smoke for there not be fire...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Hope we keep NDS,he is the only real trade value we have,but he also is our best user of the footy.This is an area were we are poor skillfull mids we don't have enough off

lefty
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Blake, Kosi, Milne.... then I'd look at downgrading Lever, Pierce as I just don't think they are ready just yet and I don't see them as a realistic chance of selection, however I cannot say I've seen them play much either.
Then maybe TDL or possibly Saad depending on the outcome.

If Dal leaves or gets traded, it will be a joke of this club, the guy is pure class and bleeds for it, I can't understand why everyone here wants to trade him, some players deserve to be one club legends/players, likewise Fisher.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Can u downgrade or is it a delist and redraft as a rookie ? Downgrading Lever seems like a good idea for another year. he could very well be the type that comes good as a 22-23 yr old. Tall defenders just so hard to come by as we know!

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:If Dal leaves or gets traded, it will be a joke of this club, the guy is pure class and bleeds for it, I can't understand why everyone here wants to trade him, some players deserve to be one club legends/players, likewise Fisher.
What if they come to you and say they want to go somewhere where they can win a flag? They've been such loyal servants for so long, haven't they deserved the right to do that?

noob
Club Player

Well if that's the case bergholt we should trade Riewoldt. Been such a loyal servant for so long he deserves the right to play for another club..

Anyway, we are going to finish 3rd last with only 4 wins and 18 losses yet no one deserves to be delisted. Doesn't make sense. 3 retirees and probably Lever with Curren to come on the primary list I assume. That only leaves 3 draft picks. Not enough when in rebuild mode.