Sick of these scandals at this club!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Sick of these scandals at this club!

I've been hearing that for ages.

People, our own supporters seem to think it's always and only the Saints that have off-field dramas.

It's not.

Now granted that there currently is the biggest scandal to ever hit the sport going on - but has anyone else noticed that we have had a bloke test positive for a banned drug and is currently under suspension for it, and we have a bloke who is currently charged with 4 counts of rape playing?

I believe the club has handled everything that come our way incredibly well over the past 4-5 years.

Transitioning from Lyon to Watters was handled well. We were perceived in the press as the good guys generally. And Lyon the bad guy for bailing out and being a traitor. The story rarely pans out that way in our history.

The 'St Kilda schoolgirl' thing was handled very well. We had the press baying for blood on that. Handled differently by the club, and that may have been a really bad one for us. In the end, we weathered the storm until the truth came out and came away with dignity. The media and the public were chafing at the bit for us to give them a 'St Kilda hates women!' angle - but the club didn't. We played the 'the poor girl needs help card' and didn't go on the attack. It was the right way to handle it and in the end, a terrible situation ended up in possibly the best possible manner for the club.

The 'nude' photos was the same. That went away very quickly considering. the club handled it very well.

I think the managing of the Saad situation was done well also. No panicking. Worked with the AFL clearly and was honest with the public. Nothing to see here - and everyone moved on.

And I also think the 'standing down' of Milne was done very well. It wasn't fair on Milne in a legal sense, but it was the right thing to do for the club and for the game. They were always going to cop heat from either side of the fence regardless of the stand they took. But I think a short term 'standing down' managed to alleviate the freak out that everyone wanted to have.

So Saints fans, time to get the chip off your shoulders. The club has dramas, like every other club does. But if you look at West Coast, Freo, Geelong, the Bulldogs with their party drug problems, the violence at Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Adelaide, the cheating at Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide and Sydney - we're by no means the worst.

And if recent history is anything go by, we manage these scenarios really well.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sick of these scandals at this club!

You mean the school girl thing where we got dragged through the mud for months with lies from the media? Even now after it was proven to be a lie we get labelled with it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:You mean the school girl thing where we got dragged through the mud for months with lies from the media? Even now after it was proven to be a lie we get labelled with it.
Yeah I can't recall the big follow-up piece from the media outlining for everyone that 'most' of that story was made up.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:You mean the school girl thing where we got dragged through the mud for months with lies from the media? Even now after it was proven to be a lie we get labelled with it.
Yes.

I don't think 'we' get labelled with it at all. No one even talks about it now.

Denying anything angrily, and seeking to 'discredit the victim' was precisely what the Caroline Wilson's of the world was waiting for us to do. If we did that - the angle of the story would have changed immediately and we'd have been mauled.

Even once the lie was revealed - it wouldn't have mattered. Because the story would have no longer been about the lie. It would have been about how a big bully of a club condones intimidating girls and was mean and nasty to a young women clearly in need of help.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Yeah I can't recall the big follow-up piece from the media outlining for everyone that 'most' of that story was made up.

You don't get apologies from the media.

The best you can hope for is the 'issue' to be contained to the issue itself.

Look at Essendon for example. The way they handled this issue currently, is the reason it has ballooned into the scandal it is now. If they handled it differently, it would have been contained to a mere 'poor governance' issue and everyone would have probably moved on by now.

But they didn't. They fought it publicly and hence everyone tried to find other avenues to savage them - which they found quite easily when they wanted to.

Fighting the media on these things, is like waving a red flag to a bull. They don't accept their stuff up, apologise and move on. They get angry and look for other ways to take you down.

We haven't given them any other angles over the past few years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nobody talks about it?

People don't like our club much, it's usually the first thing people refer to...that and Milney.

I know for a fact that Milney retiring will change neutral supporters sentiment towards us, fair or otherwise, it's true.

It's why I also don't think joey should captain the club, again unfair, but we don't need "saints captain attends court as witness in rape case" headlines next year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

they'd already moved on to the next bullsh!t scandal, big story by then by but they're not really very good at correcting inaccuracies are they.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Nobody talks about it?

People don't like our club much, it's usually the first thing people refer to...that and Milney.

I know for a fact that Milney retiring will change neutral supporters sentiment towards us, fair or otherwise, it's true.

It's why I also don't think joey should captain the club, again unfair, but we don't need "saints captain attends court as witness in rape case" headlines next year.
Good point about Joey, and,when Milne does go to court to answer the charges the "media" will still tie Milne in with the Saints, with emphasis, when they report on the trial.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im a bit staggered that anyone who thinks a protein/amino acid cocktail is somehow a greater scandal than rape, maybe should start to reassess their morals
and maybe JM forgot about Lovett.

Seeya
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We have a 7 months pre-season to get through scandal free....

derby Street
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:Im a bit staggered that anyone who thinks a protein/amino acid cocktail is somehow a greater scandal than rape, maybe should start to reassess their morals
and maybe JM forgot about Lovett.
Who did Lovett play for again ? :shock:

kp83
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote: The club has dramas, like every other club does. But if you look at West Coast, Freo, Geelong, the Bulldogs with their party drug problems, the violence at Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Adelaide, the cheating at Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide and Sydney - we're by no means the worst.
Cheating at Sydney...what are you referring to??

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We have a 7 months pre-season to get through scandal free....
How long did we last?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Does anybody other than the big noting yank and Big Mart think this is a big deal?

evo
Club Player

Not me !

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We have a 7 months pre-season to get through scandal free....
How long did we last?
About 7 hours

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

When I accidently left the tv on when Talking Sh*t came on, I just knew that when they announced that there had been "yet another Mad Monday scandal" I knew what was coming next - "at St Kilda". But when we were told it was because "a dwarf had been set on fire" by respected journo Hutchie, I snorted my coffee right up my nose. I looked at the calendar thinking it must have been April Fools' Day. There was even talk about "a midget" at one stage. I mean, a bunch of p*ssed blokes, Hutchie, dwarves set on fire, what next? The unbelievable thing was, Caro and the gang actually kept a straight face throught this nonsense.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 04 Sep 2013 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Settle down folks; I think the worst is over.

Meantime in more positive news, the boys have been finalising their act for the Footy Show's players revue :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:When I accidently left the tv on when Talking Sh*t came on, I just knew that when they announced that there had been "yet another Mad Monday scandal" I knew what was coming next - "at St Kilda". But when we were told it was because "a dwarf had been set on fire" by respected journo Hutchie, I snorted my coffee right up my nose. I looked at the calendar thinking it must have been April Fools' Day. There was even talk about "a midget" at one stage. I mean, a bunch of p*ssed blokes, Hutchie, dwarves set on fire, what next? The unbelievable thing was, Caro and the gang actually kept a straight face throught this nonsense.

I liked this years controversy. If you go down at least make it's so surreal no one knows wether to laugh or cry.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Does anybody other than the big noting yank and Big Mart think this is a big deal?
If your posting on a saints fan forum, your probably not the more "casual" of fan that does....just saying

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: I liked this years controversy. If you go down at least make it's so surreal no one knows wether to laugh or cry.
Yes! Gonzo Monday!

Next year we are tasering Koalas in front of pregnant Lesbian couples. Need new door bitches but.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
gringo wrote: I liked this years controversy. If you go down at least make it's so surreal no one knows wether to laugh or cry.
Yes! Gonzo Monday!

Next year we are tasering Koalas in front of pregnant Lesbian couples. Need new door bitches but.

I like the idea about killing and eating raw puppies and putting the video on YouTube.

The raw part i really like, sound like Saints players aren't safe with a lighter.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Yes! Gonzo Monday!

I like the idea about killing and eating raw puppies and putting the video on YouTube.

The raw part i really like, sound like Saints players aren't safe with a lighter.
dude thas jus sick!1
lulz

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Does anybody other than the big noting yank and Big Mart think this is a big deal?
It's a big deal in regard to its sheer comic value.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I had a list of Collingwood indiscretions..it was massive..I don't have it anymore but it is out there somewhere for those who would like to have a search.