Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

Interesting email from Pelchen to Saints members. I've copied and pasted below for any who haven't got the email:

"As a valued supporter of the St Kilda Football Club, I wanted to take this opportunity to write to you and provide an update on events surrounding our List Management program and the 2013 AFL Trade Period.

May I start by acknowledging that we appreciate that some members have queries or concerns relating to the direction and approach being employed by the Club at this time - particularly around certain senior players within our player group.

I would like to assure you that we place great importance on the commitment and contribution of all Saints players and will always conduct matters involving their welfare and well-being with genuine integrity and respect.

It is important that as members, you realise that much of the media speculation involving our players is simply just that - pure speculation. As a Club, we simply cannot answer every rumour or innuendo raised about Saints players as it would be impossible and impractical to do so. Having said that, we appreciate that you should be kept informed of our activities and as such, make every effort to find the delicate balance between providing important information to both you and the media.

In that regard, I would like to make specific reference to three of our senior players - namely Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo - all of whom have been mentioned publicly during recent weeks.

Firstly, can I reassure you that neither Nick Riewoldt or Leigh Montagna have been discussed for trade by St Kilda at anytime during the 2013 AFL Trade Period and both are contracted and committed to playing for the Saints in 2014.

Similarly, Nick Dal Santo has a contract extension available to him for 2014. Both Nick and the Club have discussed the options available to them ahead of next year and respect that Nick's preferred option may be to transfer to another club. Obviously, our discussions should remain private - but I would like to stress that while the relationship between Nick and the Saints is strong, we both acknowledge the interests of each other at this time. Should we agree to part ways then Nick will go with our sincere appreciation of an outstanding career with the Saints.

As has been well-publicised, St Kilda is in a period of transition.

A transition from a talented, mature core player group who proudly took the Saints to the verge of two AFL Premierships to a young and exciting group of developing players who will position this Club for its next tilt at ultimate success.

While we have genuine appreciation for those who have represented this great Club - both past and present - we are charged with making the decisions that will move the Saints forward to once again become a feared and respected team in the AFL Competition.

As our immortal 1966 St Kilda Premiership Coach and personal friend of 25 years, Allan Jeans said to me in 2011, only a short time before he passed away -

"Understand that you are all custodians of the St Kilda Football Club...you are responsible for making the difficult decisions to make this Club great. Those decisions will not always be popular, for popular decisions are easily made - but those that will truly make us great are those that challenge us most."

We at St Kilda accept the responsibility bestowed upon us with a sense of pride and service. We have learnt much from our forefathers such as Allan Jeans and each time we are faced with making a difficult decision, I consciously think to myself..."what would 'Yabbie' do?"

In 2013, we have already been faced with one of those difficult decisions. Yesterday's trading of Ben McEvoy to Hawthorn for Shane Savage and Pick 17 in the upcoming AFL National Draft, was challenging to all of us. Ben is an impressive young man who has represented the Saints with distinction during his 91 games in red, white and black. While Shane Savage will provide us with much needed midfield 'run and carry', excellent kicking skills plus the opportunity to secure a valuable first round draft selection.

The importance of this additional draft selection cannot be overstated because St Kilda is committed to an active rebuild that will transition the Club to its next era of success.

In June 2013, an extensive 40 page document was presented to St Kilda's Board of Directors outlining a complex and deliberate list management and recruiting strategy aimed at delivering the Saints its next AFL Premiership. This plan was based on similar strategies developed during my time at Port Adelaide from 1996-2004 and Hawthorn from 2005-2011. Broadly speaking, this document studies AFL Premiership teams over the past 10+ years and provides a detailed analysis of the current St Kilda player list compared to all other 17 clubs in the AFL Competition. It also encompasses a structured three year recruiting model and our relative management strategies relating to the AFL National Draft, AFL Trade Period, Free Agency and TPP position.

We are not simply leaving our future to chance. We recognise where we are at as a Club and what is required to take us forward. Our decision making is based upon a proven formula of success. A formula that requires the understanding and support of you, our members. Because indeed, you are integral to our success.

Our strategy includes increasing our draft activity by 50% in the first 3 rounds of the AFL National Draft over the next four years. Initially, our plan was to secure three selections inside 20 at this year's draft - an outcome we remain determined to achieve prior to the end of the 2013 AFL Trade Period.

St Kilda will not be actively pursuing Free Agency options in 2013 as it does not form part of our strategy for this year. Current Free Agency rules provide for players aged 26+ years old - hence, this demographic does not represent our key focus at this stage of our list transition.

We have deliberately re-positioned our TPP model over the past 24 months from an extremely defensive (ie. constrained) position to a more balanced position in 2014/15 that will then allow us to aggressively pursue Free Agent players from 2016 onwards.

While the AFL National Draft remains a strategic priority for the Saints in the short term, we will continue to be active during the AFL Trade Period going forward. We understand the need to restore the balance to our player list through both forms of recruitment - essentially, the draft and trade systems.

In closing, may I say that although we anticipate 2014 will present similar challenges as this year, we remain committed to the task of making the difficult decisions to make us great again.

As members, you are the reason we look forward to the future with such hope and expectation. Your support of the Saints is the very foundation of the decisions we make - the research, the planning and eventually, the delivery of our next AFL Premiership.

After all, it's what 'Yabbie' would do!"

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Email from Chris Pelchen to Members

Interesting? Thought it was fantastic. Addressed 95% of the questions on here (if not all of them) and the crap rumours circulating amongst the media.

Well done by the club.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

That's about the best public statement I've ever read.

Shame Dal wants to be traded though as it can't help us secure a better pick.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Great read!

PADDLEPOP1000
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Highlights for me were:

No free agents being chased in '14 or '15 - deliberate plan to chase in 2016 (don't know how to interpret that - are we chasing after the '15 season for the '16 season or chasing at the end of hte 16" season?).

Increasing our draft activity by 50% in the first 3 rounds of the AFL National Draft over the next four years - that means 18 picks instead of 12 picks in the next 4 years in the first three rounds. That means an extra 1.5 picks per year in round three or higher (I am sure they have figured the percentages of success rate of draftees by round selelcted). So expect a lot of trades where we package up to get back an extra pick. It's a numbers game and the only way to shorten the building cycle is to increase the number of picks you get.

If half the guys you draft make it as a regular player, then increasing your picks by 50% takes you from finding 2 players per year to finding 3 players per year. Doesn't sound much, but makes a big difference.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
savatage
SS Life Member

Like.

Richter
SS Life Member

Wow!

An intriguing email. Much more personal than we have had before from CP. High risk too invoking the memory of Allan Jeans. Nevertheless I like his honesty in setting forth the outline of his vision to rebuild the list to us members. At this stage he gets my support.

Only thing I worry about a little is whether this is a prelude to some other major off-field event.
Last edited by Richter on Fri 11 Oct 2013 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I remember back to Hawthorn when Clarkson/Pelchen took over. Stalwarts like Nick Holland, Mark Graham, Paul Hudson and others were moved on at great public debate. Only a couple of years later a premiership.

He might be the mad professor, but I think the Pelican will get the result. We just have to suck up the emotional pain during the transition.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Wow!

An intriguing email. Much more personal than we have had before from CP. High risk too invoking the memory of Allan Jeans.
Nevertheless I like his honesty in setting forth the outline of his vision to rebuild the list to us members.
At this stage he gets my support.
Only thing I worry about a little is whether this is a prelude to some other major off-field event.
Well there was no mention of the coaching was there? Is that what you are preluding to?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

In pelchen we trust

#1 Ryder fan
Grrrrr
Club Player

Brilliant!
Reassuring...

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

It's all just a part of the great big Pelican Puzzle.......if one piece doesn't fit, change it for another piece.

When the puzzle is finished, you'll find it's a picture of the the 2017 premiership cup.

When that happens, given that Jeans asked Chris to come to "his Saints", can we credit Jeans with our second flag?

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:In pelchen we trust
I second this. Impressive email and I believe that we are going to surprise a few next year. Mark this post!!! You heard it here first!!! :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I think that is a terrific statement from Chris and the Club.

I now await the equally eloquant response from Mr Mark Fine. 8-)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

good on those members who have gone directly to the club with concerns
heard from one mature lady who rang - someone who would more just hear radio adn tv and H-S rather than forums etc
and she was told they have had to increase the staff in reception to cope with the queries-
May I start by acknowledging that we appreciate that some members have queries or concerns relating to the direction and approach being employed by the Club at this time - particularly around certain senior players within our player group

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The pandering through Yabbie's late memory was probably not necessary. Other than that it as a good read.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I think that is a terrific statement from Chris and the Club.

I now await the equally eloquant response from Mr Mark Fine. 8-)
I trust a medical practioner such as your good self knows better than to hold your breath Doc ??.....

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Seriously that is fkn awesome

#1 Ryder fan
howlinwolf
Club Player

I really appreciate that email.
No fluff and niceties. Tells it like it is without giving too much away to the media leaches that will be dissecting it.
That really helps reassure me my hard earned isn't wasted.

The guy has a proven track record and I don't discount the link with the words of the wise owl Yabby.
We gave it a good shot and got VERY close. We are way behind the pack at present and need radical,clever planning to rise again.

It's gonna hurt but most things worthwhile in life do.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
St.Roly
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:The pandering through Yabbie's late memory was probably not necessary. Other than that it as a good read.
"Not necessary"? If that is what motivates him toward the goal that we all share why not cite it?

I would only be critical of it if it was not genuine and I have no reason to think it wasn't.

St Loxton
Club Player

Well that cleared a few thing up, he really is a man with a plan.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The pandering through Yabbie's late memory was probably not necessary. Other than that it as a good read.
I think that he's trying to demonstrate that he has an emotional connection; It's not just a job.
Up to you to decide if you believe it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

'That's what I'm talking about' ! Brilliant stuff Chris Pelchen and Saints - that's all members ask for is a reasonable explanation of the your actions and plans going forward.

The time spent on that email will probably ensure more renewed memberships next year than what Buddy Franklin will bring to Sydney.

Well done and thankyou!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
I think that he's trying to demonstrate that he has an emotional connection; It's not just a job.
Up to you to decide if you believe it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not much about Scott?