Garlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Garlett

I'd be looking at him for pick24 or 25 if he's still there. 0 talent after around pick 20ish.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Ross who?
Club Player

Re: Garlett

Heard a rumour that the Pies are very keen on him

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Heard a rumour that we're very keen on him too. Been keeping tabs on him all year....

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It's like Groundhog Day. Didn't we have this discussion last year?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Could have had him at pick 120 in the rookie draft last year..... He (on form) would have probably won the VFL best and fairest and earned an upgrade?

And yes, so could any club..... But so could have stk!

We're we in a position to take a Rookie Risk given our list state last year?

He's not worth pick 20.... But pick 120 yes.... Never look a gift horse.... IMO

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Every club could have had Garlett last year but his attitude and off field behavior was what scared them away.

I have read multiple articles that say he got his s*** together because he expected to be picked up and wasn't. Could you imagine Garlett in the paper laying in a gutter with a smoke hanging out his mouth pissed ass drunk at 3 am adding to all the drama we had this year?

It wasn't just our "mistake" if he becomes a star now. Nobody picked him up. NOBODY

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

big mart
your post makes no sense
how do you rank dayle ?
just give a straight answer.

PJ
SS Life Member

Emma Quayle reckons he is on every clubs draft list. He'll go to someone else if we don't go early. We need mids and yes he plays mainly forward at present but he has massive upside and I'd be happy with

#3 Aish/Kelly
#18 Dumont
#24 Garlett
#25 to Brissy for Longer

Bruce through PSD - put a reasonably big price on him and get him to publicly state he won't play for others (ala Ball)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
ljpoyz
Club Player

He absolutely is on everyone's draft board. Adelaide and Essendon will be keen to get him as he is first round talent they haven't got picks for but I don't think he will last that long.
PJ wrote:Emma Quayle reckons he is on every clubs draft list. He'll go to someone else if we don't go early. We need mids and yes he plays mainly forward at present but he has massive upside and I'd be happy with

#3 Aish/Kelly
#18 Dumont
#24 Garlett
#25 to Brissy for Longer

Bruce through PSD - put a reasonably big price on him and get him to publicly state he won't play for others (ala Ball)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Could have had him at pick 120 in the rookie draft last year..... He (on form) would have probably won the VFL best and fairest and earned an upgrade?

And yes, so could any club..... But so could have stk!

We're we in a position to take a Rookie Risk given our list state last year?

He's not worth pick 20.... But pick 120 yes.... Never look a gift horse.... IMO

So this year what should happen. We will not have any picks over about 25 so do we wait on the rookie draft or do we get him at a pick he isnt worth or do we whinge about the previous year when some other club picks him up? I reckon you would like the third option but I could be wrong.

SAAD
Club Player

Didnt Watters work with Indigenous youths in prison or in tough social circumstances in WA?
May be able to make it work

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not worth a risk!

Last year he was no risk

What is the definition of a risk.... Possibly losing something (like a 10 year player from pick 22)

He was free last year? Wouldn't have taken him in the first 60 picks.... But after that in a heartbeat

He has the talent of a top 10 player
Could end up with Daniel Kerr or Andrew Lovett
But at pick 60+
The percentages of a pick 60 playing AFL footy is slim anyway... He has something you can't engineer at a club.... Talent

But not at a price of a blue chip selection.... He would likely burn a club

I used this argument on another in 2009.

Recruiting risk is not about what you pick up (can easily delist/sack) its what you give up!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

As i thought. The third option. Looks like we will hear about it for years to come if he can play. If he cant we will never hear how good the club was for not taking that risk. Thinking aloud maybe there will be another 16 fan forums with a person saying the same as BM about he was worth the risk last year but not now. I suppose that means that the club that eventually does draft him has stuffed up.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:Not worth a risk!

Last year he was no risk

What is the definition of a risk.... Possibly losing something (like a 10 year player from pick 22)

He was free last year? Wouldn't have taken him in the first 60 picks.... But after that in a heartbeat

He has the talent of a top 10 player
Could end up with Daniel Kerr or Andrew Lovett
But at pick 60+
The percentages of a pick 60 playing AFL footy is slim anyway... He has something you can't engineer at a club.... Talent

But not at a price of a blue chip selection.... He would likely burn a club

I used this argument on another in 2009.

Recruiting risk is not about what you pick up (can easily delist/sack) its what you give up!
Which bit of "not being picked" was his wake up call do you not get?? If we had picked him up late last year, he would not be the person he is a year later. People are who they are because of the experiences they have had. He was not ready to be drafted last year, he needed to grow up. Eighteen clubs all had the same opinion. but I suppose your hindsight routine doesn't work if that fact is plugged into it. FOr what it's worth I believe we may have been keeping an eye on him this past year......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sadly were not in a position to pick up anyone with the slightest chance of adding another chapter to our "colourful recent past". No matter what his talent or how late the pick..Id think the Board would say "no" ...its just not worth more drama

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Just what we need - another relatively short, lightly framed player who can only play forward and who is not such a great kick. We need to move to be a team of on-ballers with above average height (i.e. > 185cms). Easier said than done, but if all the "rebuilding" rhetoric is to mean anything, that's where we start.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Just what we need - another relatively short, lightly framed player who can only play forward and who is not such a great kick. We need to move to be a team of on-ballers with above average height (i.e. > 185cms). Easier said than done, but if all the "rebuilding" rhetoric is to mean anything, that's where we start.

We took Nicholas Winmar who was tall and Geelong took Christensen who was short skinny and played forward mostly. I'm not sure who you think worked out better but that doesn't really always work that logic.You want at least a couple of taller on ball players these days but I don't think you should exclude prodigious talent to get them in.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We need to move to be a team of on-ballers with above average height (i.e. > 185cms).
Yeah cause height is the number one prerequisite for being a great onballer - I mean just ask Gary Jr, Mitchell, B Harvey, Banger, Cousins, Kerr, Greg Williams, Monty, Jack Steven - just to name a few :roll:

That hole you are digging just keeps getting deeper - you and BigMart must be good mates by now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
perfectionist wrote:We need to move to be a team of on-ballers with above average height (i.e. > 185cms).
Yeah cause height is the number one prerequisite for being a great onballer - I mean just ask Gary Jr, Mitchell, B Harvey, Banger, Cousins, Kerr, Greg Williams, Monty, Jack Steven - just to name a few :roll:

That hole you are digging just keeps getting deeper - you and BigMart must be good mates by now

I dont agree that you pass up on a player if they are shorter than 180 or what ever height a person thinks they should be but I sort of see where Perfectionist is coming from. We do need some tall onballers as more and more will be resting forward and it certainly helps to mark the ball if you have some height. If you rate players close in ability I would go with the taller player at the moment. Having said that if we get another jack Steven I would be very happy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I dont agree that you pass up on a player if they are shorter than 180 or what ever height a person thinks they should be but I sort of see where Perfectionist is coming from. We do need some tall onballers as more and more will be resting forward and it certainly helps to mark the ball if you have some height. If you rate players close in ability I would go with the taller player at the moment. Having said that if we get another jack Steven I would be very happy.

we should look at guys like Billings and Scharenberg who are already very good marks and Billings is already doing more resting forward than mid field duties then. Both could be used as midfielders but Scazza is more a Goddard type so might not get a go as he is better as a quarterback.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

we should look at guys like Billings and Scharenberg who are already very good marks and Billings is already doing more resting forward than mid field duties then. Both could be used as midfielders but Scazza is more a Goddard type so might not get a go as he is better as a quarterback.

I wouldnt take either but thats me. I would take Aish who is a true onballer if he hasnt gone by then.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Garlett would want to be star if we take a risk on him.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I wouldnt take either but thats me. I would take Aish who is a true onballer if he hasnt gone by then.

I don't know about Aish or Kelly. they remind me of Scully and Trengove. Not very big and not that big a bag of tricks. Schazza comes straight in the team IMO and could become a midfielder long term. Billings has a bit more experience as a mid than Schraenberg but is probably like a Schnieder type realistically. Both class the place up and are capable as mids as well. I think we need a very classy mid fielder in the team I'm just not sure there is one deserving of the 3 rd pick.

Freeman could be a good fit, Crouch, Sheed but all not quite worthy of pick 3.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I think we should be careful labelling these kids as one position players. There's a multitude of reasons why a kid might spend the majority of his time in a specific position during their junior career. In the case of Billings it's because he is brilliant across half forward...it doesn't mean that he can't & won't one day be an A grade Mid at AFL level. Look at Stevie J, 3 years ago he rarely got an extended run in the midfield, now he's probably #2 behind Selwood & has made the adjustment in his late 20's.

For super talented kids like Billings & Scharenberg there is little chance that they will ONLY be good in the position that they have been earmarked for. We've also got to be careful at this stage of the rebuild that we do take the old reliable 'best available'. Whilst the midfield undoubtedly needs class & A Grade talent, we also have numerous other deficiencies that can't be ignored. In Scharenberg's case the thought has been that we're loaded with half backs & don't need another one... What we do need is an elite reader of the play, ball user & someone with some size to play the quarterback role that BJ & Chips played so well.

Remember that we are building a side for 2017 & beyond... not 2014.

Re: Garlett, he's gotta be worth the risk. Just too supremely talented & has hopefully turned the corner. If we still have pick 25 come November 21 then I hope his name is called out.

I've got the feeling that there is at least one more unexpected trade to go. Word that we were right in the mix for pick 2 suggests that Pelchen & Bains have another ace up their sleeve.

By the way has the Filth got incriminating photos of West Coast management??? WC trading pick 6 for 11 & 29??? After being bent over in the Wellingham trade they obviously enjoy Derek Hine's technique!

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

I know we got badly burnt with Lovett but given that:-

- Garlett seems to be on the straight and narrow
- the draft talent falls away significantly after 20 -25
- it may only cost us a second round pick (24 / 25)

Calculated risk that may pay off big time.
Let's do it!