Pick 3- who will we take?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 3- who will we take?

maverick wrote:
Ned Stark wrote:I hope we don't pick the player that comes on the quickest, I hope we pick the best player.
Whose had a better career, Hodge or Judd, Judd was way out in front early, but now???
Very close I reckon.
Agree we should pick the best player, not get sucked in to taking someone who might have an immediate impact. Let's face it, we have time on our side to let the kid develop without the pressure of challenging for a flag.

I don't think it is that close between Judd and Hodge. Hodge has just been lucky enough to play in a very good team for a longer period than Judd. Judd is an all time great midfielder and deserves to be spoken about in the same breath as Sir Robert. Hodge is a very good utility and inspirational leader, but I don't see him as an all time great of the game.

Just my view. As much as I like Hodge, I sometimes think he gets a little overrated.
Funny, I rate Hodge higher.
He impacts the game at both ends and in the middle, when it counts.
He is often selfless for his own game in order to win.

Judd has been a jet, I wonder if he did it long enough to be rated as an all time great.
He had an opportunity at Carlton to lead them to something and fell a fair way short IMO.

Still, I can only imagine if we selected Judd instead of Ball....[/quote]

Both guns but young Judd was outstanding. Won games himself breaking out of the centre like a steam train. Judd hasn't held up as well but he has had a lesser team around him later on.

Judd would have been a lot higher rated if he'd been in more finals teams.

On quick to adapt players. Joel Selwood was drafted in 2006 and played in a premiership the next year and is now their captain. Armo 2 places later is still establishing himself. Mitch Thorp went 2 places earlier and is hoping for another go at the draft.

Ned Stark
Club Player

I think someone in this thread tables the suggestion that we consider Sheed at 3. His video looks good and his CV is very impressive: I think he got the MVP for the U18 carnival and has played senior football in the WAFL. Looks to be the Judd/O'Meara style midfielder who can play inside and out. Anyone who follows this stuff closer than my random youtube scouting care to comment why Aish, Kelly, Billings etc are apparently so far ahead of this guy? Is he another Rhys Palmer, another Sandgroper who was MVP at the carnival but slid due to perceived issues with leg speed (which maybe have proven to be true given his career arc since winning Rising Star).

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

For me Pick 3 Boyd if ignored by GWS. Otherwise Billings or Scharenburg.
Pick 18 & 19 if we still have them, Luke Dunstan, Matt Crouch, Blake Acre. In other words the best two mids left.
Pick 95. Willi Riolli, or if the selectors still feel we are short on mids, Adam Cockie.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote:I think someone in this thread tables the suggestion that we consider Sheed at 3. His video looks good and his CV is very impressive: I think he got the MVP for the U18 carnival and has played senior football in the WAFL. Looks to be the Judd/O'Meara style midfielder who can play inside and out. Anyone who follows this stuff closer than my random youtube scouting care to comment why Aish, Kelly, Billings etc are apparently so far ahead of this guy? Is he another Rhys Palmer, another Sandgroper who was MVP at the carnival but slid due to perceived issues with leg speed (which maybe have proven to be true given his career arc since winning Rising Star).
Sheed has a good to average all-round game. Nothing in particular really stands out. His disposal is above above average, he can kick the clutch goals and gets plenty of footy. The issue seems to be he's seen as being quite slow. He lacks leg speed and spread so possibly doesn't suit the modern game. I think he's a safe bet and he'll make an AFL career but I doubt he becomes an A grade, even B grade player, the ceiling just isn't there.

The other three you mentioned have something special. They may not rack up as much of the footy, well Kelly does but not the other two, but they bring something extra to the table that will appeal to clubs. I think Rhys Palmer is a good comparison for Sheed.

Kelly with his running power will rack up plenty of the footy. It doesn't matter that he doesn't win his own footy because his running power and spread is that good. His skills with his raking left boot are close to elite for the level he plays at.

Billings racked up plenty of the ball in the last few TAC games so even know he's made a name for himself as a high half forward he can certainly transition into the midfield. He's very dual sided and close to the best kicker in the draft (Lennon the other that comes to mind). What also stands out is his marking ability against larger opponents and the influence he has on games. Very much a match winner type.

Aish is a very composed player in traffic and generally makes very good decisions when under pressure. Like Kelly, he's more outside but he has that extra burst of pace similar to what we saw from O'Meara this year, he can burst away from contests and deliver very well. Skills certainly on the elite side.

So while Sheed may rack up plenty of footy, he just doesn't have that same hurt factor the other guys offer and the potential isn't anywhere near as high. I'd be very surprised if Sheed is picked before West Coast's pick 11. He's just not in the same conversation as a few others at the top end of this draft.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Ned Stark wrote:I think someone in this thread tables the suggestion that we consider Sheed at 3. His video looks good and his CV is very impressive: I think he got the MVP for the U18 carnival and has played senior football in the WAFL. Looks to be the Judd/O'Meara style midfielder who can play inside and out. Anyone who follows this stuff closer than my random youtube scouting care to comment why Aish, Kelly, Billings etc are apparently so far ahead of this guy? Is he another Rhys Palmer, another Sandgroper who was MVP at the carnival but slid due to perceived issues with leg speed (which maybe have proven to be true given his career arc since winning Rising Star).
Sheed has a good to average all-round game. Nothing in particular really stands out. His disposal is above above average, he can kick the clutch goals and gets plenty of footy. The issue seems to be he's seen as being quite slow. He lacks leg speed and spread so possibly doesn't suit the modern game. I think he's a safe bet and he'll make an AFL career but I doubt he becomes an A grade, even B grade player, the ceiling just isn't there.

The other three you mentioned have something special. They may not rack up as much of the footy, well Kelly does but not the other two, but they bring something extra to the table that will appeal to clubs. I think Rhys Palmer is a good comparison for Sheed.

Kelly with his running power will rack up plenty of the footy. It doesn't matter that he doesn't win his own footy because his running power and spread is that good. His skills with his raking left boot are close to elite for the level he plays at.

Billings racked up plenty of the ball in the last few TAC games so even know he's made a name for himself as a high half forward he can certainly transition into the midfield. He's very dual sided and close to the best kicker in the draft (Lennon the other that comes to mind). What also stands out is his marking ability against larger opponents and the influence he has on games. Very much a match winner type.

Aish is a very composed player in traffic and generally makes very good decisions when under pressure. Like Kelly, he's more outside but he has that extra burst of pace similar to what we saw from O'Meara this year, he can burst away from contests and deliver very well. Skills certainly on the elite side.

So while Sheed may rack up plenty of footy, he just doesn't have that same hurt factor the other guys offer and the potential isn't anywhere near as high. I'd be very surprised if Sheed is picked before West Coast's pick 11. He's just not in the same conversation as a few others at the top end of this draft.

crouch and Sheed both are pretty good players but for some deficiencies. They seem to be just of the pack of the very highly rated kids. Freeman is the same, his speed gives him a real edge but isn't considered as good. Aish and Josh Kelly are skilful accumulators but they aren't that inspiring to me.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gringo,

I love Crouch. He's not as smooth as his brother or even as quick but he's clearly the best contested ball winner in the draft. Averaged 38 disposals in the TAC. He's a beast.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

crouch and Sheed both are pretty good players but for some deficiencies. They seem to be just of the pack of the very highly rated kids. Freeman is the same, his speed gives him a real edge but isn't considered as good. Aish and Josh Kelly are skilful accumulators but they aren't that inspiring to me.

Not being a smartarse but how do you know all these things. Its not like you have seen any play more than 2 or 3 games.

SMS
Club Player

GWS have picks 1 and 2. Why would they pick Boyd?

They have Cameron, Patton and probably some other young tall forward. we could get Boyd!! THIS IS AWESOME. Why not?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:GWS have picks 1 and 2. Why would they pick Boyd?

They have Cameron, Patton and probably some other young tall forward. we could get Boyd!! THIS IS AWESOME. Why not?

They will pick Boyd at number one. There is no doubt.

FQF
SS Life Member

Why not?

GWS had every intention on adding Buddy to their list. If that would have happen, I reckon you would have seen a trade of pick 1. But now that they don't have Buddy, they want Boyd. This is what GWS have said in the last couple of days.

So yeh, if he's available we'll pick him. But he won't be.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Maybe GWS might consider a bit of stockpiling worthwhile, to give them maximum trading options in subsequent years. Pretty rare breed, top notch key forwards - good currency.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Rosco
Club Player

it's a tricky one though, you draft the forward but if your need is a mid and you don't draft him you might get stung later, especially when you could have drafted an elite mid. i'm not sure any team would give up their #1 or #2 mid for your surplus key forward. you might get their #3 or #4 mid.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have no idea
But i reckon we will have ranked everyone in the top ten regardless of where they play.
We will just go best assessed available.
On our own criteria the worst we will get is 3rd.

I just bloody hope we have done our rankings right.
I trust TE.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Loling at all these 'get on Boyd at pick 3' comments. There is no way in hell he'd get past GWS. Boyd, Patton and Cameron are all very different types of forwards, if for some reason it didn't work out, then they'd trade on for a top three pick when they don't have the top picks (due to finishing position).

For pick 3, I don't think there is a clear standout to be honest. Aish is my favourite, but go home factor is concerning. Kelly is exciting, could learn a lot from Joey, but I don't expect him to dominate from day one. Billings is xfactor, Stevie J type, I am told he has had his injury worries hence why he hasn't played heaps in the midfield - when he has, he has no trouble finding it. Berg is going to be a gun, but not what we need.

If we can draft one of Aish/Billing/Kelly I'd be happy, combine that with two of Acres, Dumont and Dunstan in that order I'd be over the moon. The only thing that is annoying is that if the damn mini draft didn't occur, we would probably be saying hello to one of Boyd, Martin or Hogan!!! :evil:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Loling at all these 'get on Boyd at pick 3' comments. There is no way in hell he'd get past GWS. Boyd, Patton and Cameron are all very different types of forwards, if for some reason it didn't work out, then they'd trade on for a top three pick when they don't have the top picks (due to finishing position).

For pick 3, I don't think there is a clear standout to be honest. Aish is my favourite, but go home factor is concerning. Kelly is exciting, could learn a lot from Joey, but I don't expect him to dominate from day one. Billings is xfactor, Stevie J type, I am told he has had his injury worries hence why he hasn't played heaps in the midfield - when he has, he has no trouble finding it. Berg is going to be a gun, but not what we need.

If we can draft one of Aish/Billing/Kelly I'd be happy, combine that with two of Acres, Dumont and Dunstan in that order I'd be over the moon. The only thing that is annoying is that if the damn mini draft didn't occur, we would probably be saying hello to one of Boyd, Martin or Hogan!!! :evil:
Gubby Allen almost blew his load talking about Boyd, Cameron and Patton being in the same forward line this morning on SEN.

You can almost GUARNATEE Boyds will be the first name called out.

And I am with St Ick, after five pages of this thread I still dont have a clue whom I prefer. Billings is a gun, is only a forward and too tall. Aish is the pick of the draft mids, Aish is only a light outside mid with a strng go home factor, Kelly is an endurance animal with sublime skills, will be taken at No.2, Sharenburg is a Goddard type, may be a slider.

I am confused, but at least it is a nice headache to have I suppose.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I reckon GWS will take Billings and we will get Kelly.

SuperDuper
Club Player

sharenburg for mine at 3.
Will play taller/bigger/stronger than goddard..
Looks a Pavlic type to me
I agree we take best available.. if it is a mid great.. but recall how Pav slipped to Freo!
No recruiter wants to repeat those types of errors

looks like he can do it all to me

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:What about a 65kg Aussie Jones? 72kg Leigh Montage... Was recruited and considered outside... Dal was 75kg and outside... Ball was 74kg.... Goddard like a rake....Riewoldt 193cm/81kg....
Very true Mart, however, if you looked at any of those guys you could see that they had the the body type that was capable of bulking up sufficiently to compete against AFL-bulk men.

Now I know these are pics of the blokes as 17/18 year olds (Kelly, Kelly, Aish), but look how lightly framed/fine boned they are. (Especially Kelly!)

ImageImage

I cannot see them ever bulking up sufficiently to compete against mature bodied AFL men. This will therefore severely limit their ability to demonstrate their skills... think Fiora, think Xavier Clarke. Yep, talent to burn..., but simply did not have the big/strong enough body for the AFL.

And for the reasons I've expressed before, no matter how skilled... no outside receivers...ever!

Or put another way, I ask the question...
Do we want to look flashy when the whole team is having a good day, and humilitating some down-n'-out mob,
or...,
do we want to be able to win a tough, hard, man-on-man GF?
(The toxic gnome gave his answer this season. :idea: )

I think Old Mate's player summaries sound pretty good. If we don't luck-in (is that a term? :? ) with Boyd, then any bloke who has a tag of 'match winner' cannot be passed up. I'm also partial to highly talented blokes who slide a bit due to an ill-timed injury. So for me it's a no-brainer... go the Billings!

(And Schazzzz-aarrrrrrh if he's not available.)

And next year Mart, we pursue your smart idea, and try our luck in liberating Patton slightly cheaper. 8-)

PS: I'd be really worried if we picked either Aish or Kelly, whereas I'd be very confident that Billings will be a star. So that's out there... no accusations of hindsight. :wink: And if I'm wrong about Aish and Kelly, then very happy to be so... besides, this post will be long forgotten by then anyway. :lol:

PPS: I was only about half a season out on my 'Jack Steven will be our number one mid fielder' call. :mrgreen:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
PurpleHayes
Club Player

It simply takes time for draftees to develop into men.....

How's this bloke going now?

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/A ... _meeta.jpg

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

It will be Billings or Kelly IMO. I think it will be BIllings, but the whisper was we wer into Kelly in a big way, so if GWS don't take Kelly (which I believe they will) then we will grab him.

Don't know about 18, but my gut tells me we may grab Garlett at 19, and I reckon that's why they wanted three picks in the top twenty. Garlett probably represesents too much risk with a first rounder or maybe second rounder if you only have one of each, but in a reputedly shallow draft you could justify taking a very talented, if wayward, player with a third or maybe second round pick, and I reckon we wanted to be in and out of the draft before most people's second picks so we could grab him with out last pick.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

.....let's say GWS had no intention of taking Boyd @ pick 1 and since we were trying to make a deal with them to secure that pick to draft Boyd, why wouldn't they have taken an offer Pick #3 + Pick #18?

That would give them picks #2, #3 & #18, so they'd gain an extra player @ pick #18 and still get the players they intended to draft anyway @ picks #2 & #3.

But.....there's a reason they wouldn't accept the offer, because they're taking Boyd @ pick 1, it's a 100% certainty.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:It will be Billings or Kelly IMO. I think it will be BIllings, but the whisper was we wer into Kelly in a big way, so if GWS don't take Kelly (which I believe they will) then we will grab him.

Don't know about 18, but my gut tells me we may grab Garlett at 19, and I reckon that's why they wanted three picks in the top twenty. Garlett probably represesents too much risk with a first rounder or maybe second rounder if you only have one of each, but in a reputedly shallow draft you could justify taking a very talented, if wayward, player with a third or maybe second round pick, and I reckon we wanted to be in and out of the draft before most people's second picks so we could grab him with out last pick.
People keep telling us that Garlett is a risk. And he is. Probably a bloody big one.

But that's us siting back and trying to grasp every piece of information and gossip that's out there in www land.

The blokes at St Kilda who will potentially call out his name will have spoken to people that are around him all the time. And they will have spoken to the lad himself, and looked into his eyes.

They'll make the call.

And whether that call is to draft him, or to pass on him, then that's fine by me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Garlett might be a risk of playing up and then being delisted...

But picks around 18/19 have a huge risk of being very ordinary footballers...

I hope he has smartened up and we get a star cheaply.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dr Spaceman wrote: And they will have spoken to the lad himself, and looked into his eyes.
They'll make the call.

Absolutley agree with you Doc. but just for the record - that looking in the eyes thing, isn't that the same technique that Gary Lyon used to recruit Mark Neeld as the coach of Melbourne ?? :wink: :oops:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: And they will have spoken to the lad himself, and looked into his eyes.
They'll make the call.

Absolutley agree with you Doc. but just for the record - that looking in the eyes thing, isn't that the same technique that Gary Lyon used to recruit Mark Neeld as the coach of Melbourne ?? :wink: :oops:
Think Gary was looking into only one eye.

.........and it was brown :shock: