Pick 3- who will we take?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 3- who will we take?

Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Believer wrote:It will be Billings or Kelly IMO. I think it will be BIllings, but the whisper was we wer into Kelly in a big way, so if GWS don't take Kelly (which I believe they will) then we will grab him.

Don't know about 18, but my gut tells me we may grab Garlett at 19, and I reckon that's why they wanted three picks in the top twenty. Garlett probably represesents too much risk with a first rounder or maybe second rounder if you only have one of each, but in a reputedly shallow draft you could justify taking a very talented, if wayward, player with a third or maybe second round pick, and I reckon we wanted to be in and out of the draft before most people's second picks so we could grab him with out last pick.
People keep telling us that Garlett is a risk. And he is. Probably a bloody big one.

But that's us siting back and trying to grasp every piece of information and gossip that's out there in www land.

The blokes at St Kilda who will potentially call out his name will have spoken to people that are around him all the time. And they will have spoken to the lad himself, and looked into his eyes.

They'll make the call.

And whether that call is to draft him, or to pass on him, then that's fine by me.

From what i gather though is even withour the risk pick 19 maybe to much. I see him going around 30-40 so I wouldnt be touching him. he again doesnt solve our midfield problem. if we got Billings and Garlett with 2 out of our 3 picks we may have put together a good side but no one who will be able to get the ball. We are 3-4 mids short at the moment and if we dont solve that issue we will still be 3-4 short in 3 years time. Its going to be slow progress if that is the case.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Believer wrote:It will be Billings or Kelly IMO. I think it will be BIllings, but the whisper was we wer into Kelly in a big way, so if GWS don't take Kelly (which I believe they will) then we will grab him.

Don't know about 18, but my gut tells me we may grab Garlett at 19, and I reckon that's why they wanted three picks in the top twenty. Garlett probably represesents too much risk with a first rounder or maybe second rounder if you only have one of each, but in a reputedly shallow draft you could justify taking a very talented, if wayward, player with a third or maybe second round pick, and I reckon we wanted to be in and out of the draft before most people's second picks so we could grab him with out last pick.
People keep telling us that Garlett is a risk. And he is. Probably a bloody big one.

But that's us siting back and trying to grasp every piece of information and gossip that's out there in www land.

The blokes at St Kilda who will potentially call out his name will have spoken to people that are around him all the time. And they will have spoken to the lad himself, and looked into his eyes.

They'll make the call.

And whether that call is to draft him, or to pass on him, then that's fine by me.

From what i gather though is even withour the risk pick 19 maybe to much. I see him going around 30-40 so I wouldnt be touching him. he again doesnt solve our midfield problem. if we got Billings and Garlett with 2 out of our 3 picks we may have put together a good side but no one who will be able to get the ball. We are 3-4 mids short at the moment and if we dont solve that issue we will still be 3-4 short in 3 years time. Its going to be slow progress if that is the case.

I think if we get Longer and Bruce he probably isn't coming to the Saints. I think Dumont, Dunstan, Acres, Tsitas etc. will all be around pick 19 and those guys might be hard to pass up.

Big Ben

Billings because he is a local.

suss
Club Player

IMO we can't afford to risk a high pick on Garlett. Maybe with a 40+ pick but for us, we must do our best to make every post a winner. He's just too risky.

I like the look of Kelly and S'berg for what it's worth. Haven't seen much footage of billings though.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Brian Speaking ‏@Brian_Speaking
Kade Kolodjashnij to become a Saint?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Brian Speaking ‏@Brian_Speaking

Also someone claiming to have inside knowledge on Bigfooty saying that Billings if he's not gone. BS is a little bit of a twat IMO.

I wouldn't mind though his highlights are outstanding- he was playing against the Northern Territory though it looks like. He looks like the greatest player in the last 10 years by the footage though.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Brian Speaking ‏@Brian_Speaking

Also someone claiming to have inside knowledge on Bigfooty saying that Billings if he's not gone. BS is a little bit of a twat IMO.

I wouldn't mind though his highlights are outstanding- he was playing against the Northern Territory though it looks like. He looks like the greatest player in the last 10 years by the footage though.
Have to agree on BS he has lost a fair bit of credibility over this trade period. His tweets about Watters being sacked has really fell well short of the mark.

But then agin he isn't the only poster I hve read or commenttor I have heard this trade period making a twat of themselves

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I don't reckon Billngs is at the same level as Kelly or Aish. Not that I've seen either Kelly or Billings play in person - just judging the available footage.

What do you reckon Port or Adelaide would give up for Aish in 2 years time - 2 x first round picks ? .. Could be very useful trade bait if we become genuinely concerned on the go home factor.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I don't reckon Billngs is at the same level as Kelly or Aish. Not that I've seen either Kelly or Billings play in person - just judging the available footage.

What do you reckon Port or Adelaide would give up for Aish in 2 years time - 2 x first round picks ? .. Could be very useful trade bait if we become genuinely concerned on the go home factor.

Has any player ever got 2 first round picks? not sure but I will go out on a limb and say Aish wont in 2 years. Lets just draft him forget the go home factor. How many players leave Victoria anyway to go home.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Zed wrote:I don't reckon Billngs is at the same level as Kelly or Aish. Not that I've seen either Kelly or Billings play in person - just judging the available footage.

Has any player ever got 2 first round picks? not sure but I will go out on a limb and say Aish wont in 2 years. Lets just draft him forget the go home factor. How many players leave Victoria anyway to go home.
What did we give up for Barry brooks ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
|Andy|
Club Player

Offer him an additional year contract next year, and then trade him off in 2 years for 2 first rounds? Depends though, we could probably trade our pick 3 for 2 first rounds this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What did we give up for Barry brooks ?

Pick 6 and some other pick. No idea.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

For some reason I thought it was an early 2nd rounder but I just looked it up - pick 31. Anyway my point was if clubs are desperate enough they will pay overs.

Having said that, I agree we should draft Aish if he is there and then work damn hard to keep him. If we can snag either Dumont or Dunstan with the later picks should make it a bit easier for him to settle in.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:What did we give up for Barry brooks ?
Our dignity? :oops:

suss
Club Player

Zed wrote:For some reason I thought it was an early 2nd rounder but I just looked it up - pick 31. Anyway my point was if clubs are desperate enough they will pay overs.

Having said that, I agree we should draft Aish if he is there and then work damn hard to keep him. If we can snag either Dumont or Dunstan with the later picks should make it a bit easier for him to settle in.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-23/2 ... james-aish

The kid looks okay ...

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Ned Stark wrote:I think someone in this thread tables the suggestion that we consider Sheed at 3. His video looks good and his CV is very impressive: I think he got the MVP for the U18 carnival and has played senior football in the WAFL. Looks to be the Judd/O'Meara style midfielder who can play inside and out. Anyone who follows this stuff closer than my random youtube scouting care to comment why Aish, Kelly, Billings etc are apparently so far ahead of this guy? Is he another Rhys Palmer, another Sandgroper who was MVP at the carnival but slid due to perceived issues with leg speed (which maybe have proven to be true given his career arc since winning Rising Star).
Sheed has a good to average all-round game. Nothing in particular really stands out. His disposal is above above average, he can kick the clutch goals and gets plenty of footy. The issue seems to be he's seen as being quite slow. He lacks leg speed and spread so possibly doesn't suit the modern game. I think he's a safe bet and he'll make an AFL career but I doubt he becomes an A grade, even B grade player, the ceiling just isn't there.

The other three you mentioned have something special. They may not rack up as much of the footy, well Kelly does but not the other two, but they bring something extra to the table that will appeal to clubs. I think Rhys Palmer is a good comparison for Sheed.

Kelly with his running power will rack up plenty of the footy. It doesn't matter that he doesn't win his own footy because his running power and spread is that good. His skills with his raking left boot are close to elite for the level he plays at.

Billings racked up plenty of the ball in the last few TAC games so even know he's made a name for himself as a high half forward he can certainly transition into the midfield. He's very dual sided and close to the best kicker in the draft (Lennon the other that comes to mind). What also stands out is his marking ability against larger opponents and the influence he has on games. Very much a match winner type.

Aish is a very composed player in traffic and generally makes very good decisions when under pressure. Like Kelly, he's more outside but he has that extra burst of pace similar to what we saw from O'Meara this year, he can burst away from contests and deliver very well. Skills certainly on the elite side.

So while Sheed may rack up plenty of footy, he just doesn't have that same hurt factor the other guys offer and the potential isn't anywhere near as high. I'd be very surprised if Sheed is picked before West Coast's pick 11. He's just not in the same conversation as a few others at the top end of this draft.
You could not possibly make such a call on Sheed if you were at skilled stadium to watch him destroy Vic Country. He took the quality midfielders of Vic Country who will all be drafted to the cleaners - Crouch, Lewis Taylor, Tsitas, Zac Jones, Darcy Lang and Zach Merrett. 29 disposals, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50′s and 4 goals was one of the highlights of the carnival. Once you compared him to Rhys Palmer I knew you have not seen any or much of him.

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

BigMart wrote:What about a 65kg Aussie Jones? 72kg Leigh Montage... Was recruited and considered outside... Dal was 75kg and outside... Ball was 74kg.... Goddard like a rake....Riewoldt 193cm/81kg

Loads of skinnyish kids develop into guns.... Whitfield, J.Martin are skinny as....
Agree -- hard to make a final call on 17-18 year old kids yet to fill out their bodies and yet to undertake the rigours of AFL training. Hear lots on this site about number of pre-seasons for young bodies to develop. Skillful players seem to me to be a nice start -- from there the club can help build strength and endurance (legally of course).